All my Fieros.

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

All my Fieros.

Post by stimpy »

OK, Jon. Put up or shut up time, I guess. Here's some pics and details about both Fieros that I have had the pleasure of owning.

My first Fiero I bought about a year after my dad bought one. I never thought much about Fieros, after a classmate of mine (Class of 85) got a white coupe for a graduation present. It didn't have a sunroof or tilt wheel, and at 6'6", I couldn't fit in the damn thing. Fast forward to 96, when my pops traded in a nice LeBaron 'vert on a red 86 GT. Wow, I could actually fit! When my Cutlass started having gremlins, I sold it and went looking for a different set of wheels. When my pops suggested a Fiero, we looked in the AutoTrader, and found 2 cars that were in my range, a blue 87 coupe with T-tops and a gold 86 GT with a luggage rack.
We went to look at the 86 first, and it was so solid even with 127k miles that I bought it, $2500 cash on the barrelhead.
Here it is on Route 66 in Arcadia, Oklahoma.
About a year into my ownership of the car, I threw a rod through the bottom of my block after a one-day 600 mile round trip to WCF and back to Northern CA. Not knowing what I could get into for engine alternatives at the time, I had a 2.8 built up by a shop in Oklahoma. The car was shipped out from Cali, and the engine was dropped in. It was purty.
The interior was average, but I did have some good sound in it, with a Polk 10" sub under the dash in a home built fiberglass enclosure.

I moved back to California last year, and unfortunately the Fiero had to go. By that time it had new paint, too.

I was Fiero-less for about 3 months. Flashback to the red 86 that my dad bought in 96. He had gone through quite a bit with the car. First, he was talked into a "race rebuild" by a swindler in San Jose who told him that the engine could be bored and stroked to 3.4l. He put a good chunk of cash down, and after getting it back it never really ran right. After about 6 months of putting it back in the shop, he went to Saudi for work and sent the car to ACE in Colorado for the 3.8 out of a 97 Bonnie. After about 6 years of driving the car wiht the L67, he really didn't have time to drive it, and sold it to me.
People ask if the value of a Fiero goes up after a swap. Hmmm. I would estimate my dad put well over $20,000 into this car, I don't think it would sell for over $5000. But I love it.
Dig the old-school Sendel 5 spokes! Eighties flava in yo ear, yo!

The engine is bone-stock, with the exception of WCF headers and Spintech exhaust, and of course the mad-tite drier vent CAI!
Yeah, it's ugly, but chrome don't get you home.

Anyhow, I dyno'd it at an honest 197 rwhp and 238 # wtq. I have a friend who has offered to hook me up with a 3.4 pulley. I think that's as far as I want to mod, as I like the reliability. I went on a run last weekend (organized by Songman, who is a decent guy and a hell of a host) to San Simeon and back and averaged about 24 mpg. In town it's considerably less, as I always seem to leave the rest of the cars far behind at every stoplight.
Anyway, that's my daily driver. Let's see yours!
GusG

Post by GusG »

You're wasting your time posting that shit here. These anal spelunkers do not appreciate that type of stuff here. Don't believe me, then why am I the only reply you have so far? They would rather copy and paste Avengador1 stuff here than look at your stuff. It's a shame too, because this could be one hell of a forum instead of a vast circle jerk.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Well, there's the challenge. Do you want to make this a valid forum, or do you want to be anal spelunkers?
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Thanks for sharing Stimpy. A 3800SC is a nice power bump from even a mod'd 60 degree. I had a chance to ride in Hugh's swap and it pulled really hard. Only mod I was aware of was just a pulley change.

I've had two fieros. The first was an 86 GT 4 spd

I have 35mm photos from the day I brought it home and washed it that I should scan.

I bought it a month after I turned 17 (1999 I think) for $2,400 . I was very very happy with the car. Got me through my Junior and Senior years of high school with very little problems and had style. Ignition module was the only real problem I remember. My freshmen year at college I was screwing around and driving a lot faster then I should have been and I pop'd the motor.

http://www.howard.saturnet.net/fiero_jp ... h_hole.jpg

About a month later I saw a 87 GT Auto in the paper for either $1600 or 1800 that had 130,000 miles on it while home for thanksgiving. I went to look at it with my father and it turned out to only have 80k miles. I negotiated the price of the car down to an even grand and bought it the same day for $1060 with tax on my American Express.

While driving it home, the brakes went out. After replacing the master cylinder, the egr tube got a leak and I couldn't get a replacement during the weekend so I went back to school. I came back during christmas break, but was unable to get it back on the road. It had vacuum leaks and one of the calipers seized. We only have a week off since there was trimesters.

Spring break, my friend Brian (Diggity on this forum) and I tackled getting the car on the road. We replaced the vacuum lines with rodney's ones. Brian is now known as the puzzlemaster for his skill at routing vacuum lines. We replaced the EGR tube and intake gaskets with GM replacements. I ordered up the grand am conversion from the fiero store and we put that on there too instead of resurfacing rotors and rebuilding calipers. It went on without a problem.

I had the car in providence for about a month, and on the way to my first autocross, I was hit by a work van. It happened so quick. He was driving unusually slow in the passing lane and while I was driving past him, he steered into my car. I lost control and the vehicle was totaled.

Unfortunately I only have totaled shots of that car:

I drove the car back from Providence to South Jersey. That says something about the construction of these cars.

During my summer off I was working on getting another engine into my 86. I had bought a 4.1L caddy motor from rockcrawl with the intention of putting it in, but decided it was more work then I could handle at the time. I decided to put the 87 motor into the 86. While I had the engine out of the car, I figured I should replace the cam, maybe put some fresh heads on and pick up a set of headers.

While reserching what I should do, V8Archie posted an engine/turbo set up on the old fiero forum. I think we all know that story. I really don't like telling it.

Rockcrawl (Jon Lagler) helped me out big time on getting the motor in and coding the ECM. I really can't begin to thank him enough. We couldnt get the motor to make the power we knew it should have been capable of making. It turned out that the motor didn't have the rebuilt/ported heads it was advertised to have and some of the valve springs were bad. Bad valvesprings can't hold booost.

I'm now in the process of putting that same 87 GT motor into my 86. And I'm keeping the engine stock with the excpetion of some port work.

It's much closer today then when that shot was taken.
Last edited by eHoward on Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

nice stimpy. I remmeber seeing pics of your engine a long time ago of the 2.8

I have owned 2. First was a 85 Gt and now I have a 88 Formula

Here is a pic of my 85 GT:

It was fully optioned auto tranny.

I added some nitrous to it, ported the stock exh manis, made up a homemade CAI, and went to the track. Cut a 14.1 best time. Tiemslip of one of my runs:

It was a good little car. I sold it with 120k on it. I bought it with 91k on it. It treated me well and ran perfect even after yanking the bottle off of it.

Got this 88 Formula 2.5 years ago with 69k miles on it. Had just a tad over 80k now. 5 spd no options at all except A/c. I yanked the a/c to save on some weight. Turned out to be very little but I will take it.

Put in a new clutch, WCF shorty headers, dual tb intake, cat delete and with the nitrous layed down 190 whp.

Had very little probs with this car other then the clutch and slave cylinder. Those have been fixed and has run perfect.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

I have had 3 Fiero's .. I got my first @ 18 which is my current 86 GT with the northstar swap in progress

Second was this
http://www.geocities.com/morley_m/160.htm

I bought an 86 SE V6 auto , new paint , needed a tierod for $160!!! CDN!! and drove it home. Wish I woulda kept it .It's now owned by Forum member Zmack From oakville

The last Fiero I owned was low mileage , but Rusty , I bought it for $1500 , put $600 into it along with a shit load of agravationa nd sold it for $2000... I should have NEVER bought it.. NEVER it was a $200 car and I was jizzin because it had 19,000 miles on it. It was stored by a lake and it was shit.Hadn't been driven in 14 years , we changed the oil , put in a new battery , cranked it over and drove it home 3 hours. Car was a mistake

The northstar is my Baby. I am trying to build my Budget Dream car I guess you would say. Here's a breakdown of the parts. These are actually on the car..not dreams or photoshop wet dreams like 1/2 of Old Europe does.

86 GT 4spd Bought with 18,000 miles (Currently has 50K on it)
Red with Tan interior

Suspension and Brakes

-11.25" Vented Discs with Camaro Calipers , braided lines and Portfield pads. I was one of the first to do this swap nealry 4 years ago.

-Koni's all around

-Rear Coilovers 425Lbs , these are mounted on the koni's witha Cut off perch.

-1" front bar , 1.25" rear Bar

-Dropped Spindles (need ot be installed)

-Poly

-Soild mounted Cradle

-17" TRmotorsports Typhons. The only wish list item here is that I will be sending the rear wheels to Weldcraft in Michigan to have them widened to 9.5" and throwing on some 255's

Exterior Mods:

-Howard Sacks Carbon Fiber decklid (just have to go pick it up)
-Round Front headlights (I think Im theonly one to do this)
-going to have the ground effrects painted red and the front and rear bumpers redone

Interior

-Black ACC Carpet
-Sparco Seats
(will do: Paint Top of dash black , change door panel carpet , interior will be blakc and tan , not poo brown)

Gauges:
All Auto meter Pro-comp Silver faced

-AF Ratio
-Electric Fuel PRessure
-Water Temp
-Oil Temp
-Oil PRess
-Nitrous

Have Defi Link Controler , need a 3.5" Defi Tach , or may just get another aftermarket unit. This will be mounted in the stock Location

-Crap ass Pioneer deck (want MP3 ..soon enough)
- Sony 4x 100 Amp mounted behind Pass Seat.
-MB Quartz Speakers.

-momo Shift knob , Momo Pedals.

Want Sparco Wheel or personal ...again ..not a priority.

Engine

-1996 Cadillac Northstar , VIN 9 60,000kms

-Ported Manifolds (like Chrome baby!!) Smoother than my girlies cooch

-Initial Nitrous system will be a wet shot using NOS brand parts. have them all. Solinoidsare hidden under the engine cover , I used longer threaded rod on the cover to raise it up about .5" for clearence

-Holley Commander 950 From Alan @ CHRFab

-288 Cams, according to Alan @ CHR these with some head work will yield another 75hp over stock

-need to feed the cams ...Z06 Injectors 29Lbs Vs 19Lbs (ebay)

-Running no Mufflers , C.Moore Setup with Twin Cats, no trunk Molestation.

-Heads Ported Very nicely By Shaun will be treated to a 5 Angle valve job , New springs (came withthe cams) Can you say 7800 RPM redline V8? It's like baby LT5.

Driveline

-Rebuilt Getrag from 89 Beretta (gonna need a rodney kit)
-Spec Stage 3 Clutch
-Spec Aluminum Flywheel

Dats about all I can think of right now.

I will get some pics up when I am home next. I am taking a week off in January to ge tthe car finished. I will be driving it to Daytona in March pending all goes well. Things left to do.. Wiring , I have test Fitted the engine already , Need to get it in their permanently.. Just littl e nagging time consuming shit.

[/b]
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

I always thought that round headlight conversion was cool as fuck. If I recall, you never did post a little "how-to" so I could steal your idea. You big ol' Skitime, you!
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

My first Fiero was an '88GT that I bought back in early 2000. It had 78k miles on it, and it now has 108k. Unfortunately, I haven't driven it since last year.

It's a Red '88GT auto with pw, pl, cruise, a/c, no sunroof or wing.

Mods I have done:

Suspension:
-Poly bushings
-Koni shocks in front w/ Fierostore lowering springs
-KYB GR-2 Struts with 400lb Held coil-overs

Wheels:
-Front:
-17x7 Konig Tantrums with 225/45-17 Kuhmo MX's (4lbs per wheel heavier than stock)
-Rear:
-17x8 Konig Tantrums with 245/45-17 Kuhmo MX's (6lbs heavier than stock)

Brakes:
-WCF '88 C-4 corvette 12" upgrade with cross-drilled rotors.
-Porterfield R4-S compound pads
-Stainless lines and hoses
-Motul Synthetic brake-fluid (I use Motul fluids in everything I own now)
-I also disassembled all my brake calipers, polished all the interior housings to prevent corrosion and sticking that is common with '88 calipers.

Engine:
I have a spare cradle for a 3800sc project, but I have not had time to start it (All I have are the mounts for the engine and trans)
Stuff that's done to the 2.8:
-MSD ignition box and coil
-8mm wires and delco rapid fire plugs
-stainless valves, mild head porting, 1.52 roller tip rockers
-heavily ported lower, middle, and upper intake.
-Ported stock exhaust manifolds
-cat removed
-Removed water seperator and added a K&N filter and darrell morse TB.

Exterior:
Stock, but I have a set of Ausfiero Stage-1 scoops (The ones that come with the door ground effect)

Interior:
Stock with upgraded sound system:
-The sound system has been taken apart for upgrades, but here is what I had:
-Sweet Panasonic headunit don't remember the model #but it was 60x4 with blue LED readout
-Kenwood 4" components in front and rear stock locations.
-Ausfiero speaker pods with Kenwood Excelon 6-1/2" components
-Stimpy-built 10" sub-box with Pioneer Premier sub
-Kenwood Excelon amp 200x2 For the sub
-MTX 100x2 amp for the door components
-Lightning Audio 1-Farad capacitor with digital readout.

That's the only Fiero that I have left now and I will hold on to that one for quite a long time. Lots of plans.

I also had a 87GT for a couple of years that I picked up cheap. It was actually quite a restore project.
-sandblasted frame
-welded in extra frame rail support where it was rusted out
-new sheetmetal trunk corners
-new rod bearings and oil pump
-new brakes and suspension
-Painted the whole car black including the GT wheels

It was a fun winter ride. Something ended up letting go in the top-end and I sold it to a local guy along with the engine from Skitime's 88GT. The guy threw that one in it and from what I know, it's still around.

My most recent Fiero was an '88 coupe that was quite a blast to drive. It had a new engine, so all I really did was upgrade the suspension with KYB's (It already had poly bushings), redid the brakes, and did an extensive undercoating job. I just sold it last month to a forum member and I'm sure it will be taken care of.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Fred Savage
LT1 boy

Post by Fred Savage »

How do you post pics?
Gods motor is in my Fiero.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

Do you have a place to host it??? You need that first..
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
Fred Savage
LT1 boy

Post by Fred Savage »

Nah I guess not. Is there somewhere I can go?

Well wait, I do have an aim website, would that work?
Gods motor is in my Fiero.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

I use www.supermotors.org to host my pics.
Last edited by stimpy on Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

If you know how to use FTP, I can set you up with an account here for fiero related pictures.
Fred Savage wrote:Nah I guess not. Is there somewhere I can go?

Well wait, I do have an aim website, would that work?
z.MacK
Use a smaller avatar

what the hell I'm in now too...

Post by z.MacK »

Lets see...
First fiero I had was 88 coupe. Its now in Texas... with a how I like to think, not so 4.9 of an engine in it . I liked that car because it had 30,000 miles on it. It was in brand new shape, but way to fucking slow (2.5 auto *puke*). I probably should have kept it. It would, and has, made a great frame for a build up.

I then bought a POS 84 4.10. That pile of rusting shit took soooo much abuse from me. Was fun as hell to rag on, it even went mudding a few times haha. I blew the engine after half a year or so. It went out with class.

JM hooked me up with this ride....
I've replaced all the typical stuff on it. Probably put 2-3 grand into it so far.
Runs strong, looks good, so right now keeps me happy. Im probably gonna hold onto it for at least another summer.

So ya, every fiero ive had was either sold, or bought on your favorite fiero cult UBB ;)
z.MacK
Use a smaller avatar

Post by z.MacK »

BTW try http://www.iuploads.com/ , seems to work for my upload an is ez as hell
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

Well, I purchsed my car about 5 years ago. It was a stock 88 coupe, 27K miles, 4 cyl, auto, power windows and ac were the options. The car was perfect when I got it. Looked like a new car.

I decided after driving it stock for a year that it needed some mods. I started with some 88 GT wheels. Then I made a trip down to Ohio to visit my friend Craig for a week, and we ended up swapping in a V6 and a 5 speed Isuzu. That made the car a TON faster. I worked on the V6 until I had it running perfect. It had some small mods, and on a couple of occasions I raced and beat some quick cars. One time when I went to visit Criag in Ohio I beat a slightly modded 98 GST eclipse. Then, while racing Craigs 92 GS Eclipse, I spun a rod bearing.

Instead of rebuilding my motor I decided to buy and install a motor from Mike LeCompte. It was a fully built 3.2L V6. I ran a best of a 13.9 with an 80 shot and a slipping clutch with that motor. My best 60' time was a 1.8 and that was when I snapped my cradle. Here's a picture of that engine:

Early in this year it started burning oil EXTREAMLY bad. I tore the engine down and found a cylinder that was scored really deep. I decided instead of rebuilding the motor I would do an engine swap. I was looking for something on the cheaper side and decided on a 4point9 after finding a cheap 91 DeVille on Ebay. I knew they werent the fastest engines, or the most respected for that matter, but I liked what Pete and Rockcrawl had done with them and figured I would do the same. My main focous was to get the swap done and drive it some this summer, which I was able to do. This winter I'm doing some mods to the engine. It's getting ported heads, ported Allante intake, camshaft regrind and some nitrous. :D Should be a diecent power gain.

Some other mods I have done to the car:
Customised interior with racing seats and 4pt. harnesses.
Lowered about 3", cut springs up front and coilivers in the rear.
Axis Touring cup 16" rims painted gunmetal with Kuhmo Tires.
Factory rear sway bar.
Factory Spoiler
"Custom" Front hood

Here's some pictures to make you happy. :D I dont have any since the engine swap and painting the rims.

eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Lets keep this going.

WHos next?
z.MacK
Use a smaller avatar

Post by z.MacK »

Come on ! Are your cars not worthy of posting?

I'm guessing so, since I see less then 10 here!
CliffDick
CliffDick is hot for Sarabear

Post by CliffDick »

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I might as well go... I think I've had more Fieros than anyone else here so far.

I bought my first one when I was in college (umm... Junior year, maybe? I think it was summer of '99). It was an original blue '87 GT with 175K on it. I paid too much and prolly shouldn't have bought that car, but I was young and foolish. It spun a rod bearing the night I bought it. After finding a replacement 2.8 and doing an auto-manual swap, I flipped it. (Yes, accidentally...)

A few months later, I found a gold '86 SE automatic for $400. The top end of the engine was apart and it supposedly had low compression. I swapped the engine and trans from the blue GT into this car (second auto-manual swap). I also grafted '88 front suspension into this car. Didn't do the rear because I was still a college student and too poor to buy coil-overs, yet not yet wise enough to make them myself.

I bounced that car off an embankment (prolly would have saved it if I'd had the '88 rear suspension).

While I was doing all this, a couple of friends of mine and a friend of my dad's got interested in Fieros. I helped one friend buy a black '87 GT for $700. It had 100K and was decent inside, but had oxidized paint.

The friend of my dad's bought a 60K gold '87 GT from a local seller. His knees started to hurt from getting into and out of it (he's a tall mofo) and he sold it to my other friend. He fell asleep at the wheel one night and smacked a small tree with it.

Before he did that, he got a couple of parts cars... an '84 manual and an '87 coupe manual.

So after I piled up the '86, I bought the black '87 off my one friend for $700 and started driving it. Not wanting to repeat the performance that lost me the '86, I immediately made and installed aluminum cradle bushings.

When my other friend wrecked the gold '87 GT, he sold me that and both of his parts cars for $1200. The GT is repairable (dad knows a guy with a frame machine)...

So now I have owned/driven three Fieros, wrecked two, and have three parts cars...

While I was in school and in the Navy, I was gradually collecting parts and doing mods.

The black GT has the following

Northstar w/ Getrag. I was one of the first to do this and get it to work.
home made Koni coil overs
Home made rod end sway bar links with '88 strut mount brackets
Fiero front bar mounted in rear
5x115 rear bolt pattern
16x8 Grand Prix wheels
16x6 LeBaron wheels front w/ Beretta brakes (soon upgrading to 11.25's)
Koni front shocks
UHMW bushings all around
aluminum cradle bushings
few other nick/knacks...

To install:
11.25 brakes
Street Dreams aluminum lowering knuckles with big bearing hubs. I designed these hubs.
reassemble Northstar with Eagle rods, Ross pistons

Lots of other ideas on how to make it fast...

I've also been collecting parts for the other cars.
I have a geniune W41 Q4 and '88 cradle which I will put into the '84 parts car and sell
I have a TGP engine which I will put on an '88 cradle, install in the gold GT, have some fun with and sell
I know of a local yard that has a '90 4.5. I have a 1.3 autorotor twin screw supercharger. I will put these two together, have a party on a third '88 cradle, and install in the '87 coupe (with Getrag).
Yes, I have that many '88 cradles hanging around...

Think that's about it...