One bank lean

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

whipped

One bank lean

Post by whipped »

:scratch:

I moved the wideband from the rear to the front bank, and low and behold, it confirmed the narrowband's findings... The front really is running 10% leaner.

Only thing I can guess is vacuum leak on the front, or exhaust leak on the front. I'm 90% sure it's neither. So what else would cause this?

:cussing:
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

Weak injectors/dirty fuel rail?
88 coupe: 2.0 turbo 4. T25, w2a, meth injection
whipped

Post by whipped »

injectors are new.

dirty fuel rail? mmmkay, :scratch:
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

I've seen crap inside of fuel rails before at work. Will plug injectors and restrict flow through the fuel rail.
whipped

Post by whipped »

huh... well the rail is less than a year old, so I doubt that's the problem...
whipped

Post by whipped »

One suggestion was one of my (new) injectors may be out of spec. So I switched the injectors around, and now we'll see if the rich bank switches sides...

I also tried spraying for vacuum leaks, but again couldn't find any.
whipped

Post by whipped »

swapped the injectors with little difference noted.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

whipped wrote:swapped the injectors with little difference noted.
compression check for difference between cylinders
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

If you wired it the way you "should" have, then the banks are fed from different fuses. The ECM switches ground. Check the supply voltage for each bank.
whipped

Post by whipped »

compression check would be a large PITA.

I actually wired the injectors through one fuse, so they should be the same. Keep 'em comin!
whipped

Post by whipped »

Here's an idea,

http://web.camaross.com/forums/archive/ ... 23102.html

Could it possibly be the IAC or PCV? It would be wierd to see one bank effected more than the other, but I don't know. How are the throttle body passages set up?
admin
Admin is not Howard

Post by admin »

Usually if there is a vacuum leak it affects all cylinders however I am unsure how the Nstar vacuum lines are setup.

I highly doubt its a vacuum leak.

Perhaps it is the fact that you have both banks wired into the same fuse that is causing the problems. I am just throwing things out there though. You have a 7730 trying to control this stuff and modified programming so I have no idea where to start with this.
whipped

Post by whipped »

So I'm pulling plugs to see if there's any obvious differences between the two banks... I haven't seen any yet, they're both the pretty standard light greyish color.

Although I don't really know how to read plugs, I can tell a melted one from a normal one. I also am not really sure if 10% is enough to make a difference in the plugs.

But considering they're both looking about the same, I'm starting to wonder if it might just be an exhaust leak. I mean, unless one of the cats plugged up or something.
whipped

Post by whipped »

well I had an idea... force the timing to 10 degrees, disconnect the ISC after it's warmed up, start a datalog, and start unplugging the injectors one at a time.

This powerbalance check should at least isolate any problems to one or more cylinders. Right now it could be one cylinder getting excess fuel, or one cylinder not getting enough (or misfiring). It will be interesting to see if the rpm drops across the cylinders are close or not.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Hadn't really thought of it, but I guess the power balance check also works on the $a1 code...
whipped

Post by whipped »

as long as I remove the IAC connector, disable idle spark (remove the wire), and run open loop... I think it should give a good place to start looking...
whipped

Post by whipped »

ok, here's the results:
The idle ended up to be about 1000 (completely by mistake :) ), so these are the actual measured rpms with that cylinder's fuel injector disabled:

Cyl rpm
1 976.4
3 970.9
5 965.5
7 965.5
2 975.5
4 983.3
6 997.5
8 984.3

4,6,and 8 are quite out of line. But #6 appears almost dead. It's possible I didn't wait long enough or something, so I'm going to do a retest of 4,6,8 with 7 as a control. I hope it's nothing sucky like an early headgasket leak... <knock on wood>
whipped

Post by whipped »

I pulled the plugs on that side (more work than I really wanted to do), and compared them. Everyone looks the same except #6.

It has more heat coloration on the body, it has this pearlescent blue at the very base of the ground tang (signs of over heating?), and has a lighter porcelain than the rest. All have a very white ground tang...

I think all these point to it running lean, but want to get other opinions. I'm sure you can tell which is which in that pic. :blah5:

Since it didn't move when I swapped the injectors, wouldn't that HAVE to mean an intake leak????????????
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

How's your wiring on that bank? Have you checked injector voltage at the injector during operation?
whipped

Post by whipped »

wiring's good, if it weren't, I'm sure more than one would be suffering from a problem. When you say "during operation", what do you mean? It's a pulsed coil, so I don't know how I'd get a meaningful reading.