ODB-1... Oh, how I hate thee and thy quirks

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

Will: All of 'em go as they should. The CALPAK was sent off to Darth Fiero and had the auto BIN overwritten with a manual BIN (or so he tells me). The only things that I had him remove otherwise was the canister purge control, fuel pump control (I run them manually off a new circuit, with a "hot-line" to the fuel pump and ECM), and A/C controls. Also, the AIR controls were removed from the Manual BIN (not having been in the auto BIN)

I'm not so hot on ECM programming (although eager to dig up some equipment and try it myself... I can program in C, but I'm too fat/lazy/stoned/broke to get all the equipment at the moment). I can't say exactly what has been done to it except to say that it works fine below 185ºF :)

Explain the trans idle follower? I would it assume that in an auto, it kicks the idle up a little higher on coast to make up for the motor not being "turned" by the mechanical coupling to the wheels?

My hitlist is definitely focussing on the fuel delivery. The ECM doesn't seem to recognise anything wrong (which is strange. I will be re-checking my SES light wiring), but it's obviously running shit-rich at idle. So I'll be checking the regulator and the injectors... Just have to get a fuel pressure guage. I'd laugh if it was pump over-running.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
admin
Admin is not Howard

Post by admin »

Mach10 wrote:But man, you are on a completely different plane of irritants. Right up there with asbestos tampons and chile sauce enemas.
I don't know but this had me absolutely rolling.!!! :laughing: Rich at idle with no codes. hmm that is a stumper. It could be the injectors. Maybe the spray pattern is fubar'd on them or just a few or hell even one would do it. nto enough fuel getting burned showing rich.

You check your plugs? What do they look like? Take note from cylinder to cylinder.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

aaron wrote:You don't need a stethescope to hear the DOHC injectors, that is for damn sure. I kid you not they are the loudest injectors I've ever heard. I can clearly hear the ticking from inside the car with the hood closed :director:

And yes, the injector covers did change, they had 2 variations. The first, the 91-93 like he has, said TWIN DUAL CAM V6. The latter years said 3.4l DOHC V6. So either way he is wrong. I guess I just assumed that he had a 91-93 cover since he has a 91-93 engine.
My 1993 cover says 3.4L DOHC V6

With a simple check it seems that they cover was changed in 1993. Geez Aaron you SHOULD KNOW this stuff!
Last edited by donk_316 on Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
whipped

Post by whipped »

you guys crack me up... like a midget that's on fire

:thumbleft:
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

admin wrote: You check your plugs? What do they look like? Take note from cylinder to cylinder.
Plugs are showing me more-or-less what I'm expecting; If take it for a good 20 minute highway drive (cruising at 3200rpm), they come out darkish (but not horribly so).

Any amount of city driving afterwards though, and they come out black. It's running shit-rich at closed and mid-throttle, but it seems to be leaning out some on the highway.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Cleaned up. Since I wasn't rushed I saved a little bit.
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

Well, that fixed it.

My major mistake was wiring my SES light to the "charge" indicator off the alternator :p SO, it came on as it should when I turned the key, but then turned off when the engine was running (and the alt charging :p)

SO, after re-wiring it, I saw a check-engine light, and pulled a code "54"

Which means "Fuel pump circuit low voltage"

Which means that I had to run a switched power to my A20 terminal of the ECM to fool it into thinking it was still in control of the fuel pumps.

Instantly, I get a smooth idle, it doesn't stink of gas, and it doesn't stall when I load up the charging system with the fan.

Can't road-test for coast-stalling yet, have to source and fix a pin-hole coolant leak.

Thought y'all would want to know ;)
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

awesome. nice work. glad you got it figured out.

:thumbleft:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Amazing how well it works when it's wired right...
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Amazing how well it works when it's wired right...
Funny how that works, huh? Can't find the order form, but I'm positive I wanted the fuel pump controls removed... Whatever, no excuse for wiring the SES light wrong... Even if both are brown :thumbleft:
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

Anyone know of any adaptor or device (and software) that will let me read the 8192bps ALDL stream off this thing? Eventually I'd like to go with an emulator (mmm... on-the-fly-tuning) but before I start into the whole ODB1 hacking thing, I want to learn more about it, and the way it interprets sensor data. I figure that'll lessen the chance of me melting a piston when the weather freezes :p

Oh, and bear in mind that I'm not only a Fiero owner, but I'm also broke [and not just cheap]. :thumbleft: