Need pictures of DOHC 3.4 block

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Shaun41178(2)

Need pictures of DOHC 3.4 block

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Ok I was checkign out some SD4 articles, and in order to add a 16 valve head to the original SD4 pushrod block, little plugs had to be put into the lifter bores. SO I thought, damn this could be done with a v6 pushrod block, and then reroute the oil to the top end for dohc heads

Well I was looking at a pic of my aluminum block and holy shnakies, it might work.

In between cylinders 1 and 3 and then on the other side with cyl 2 and 4 there is a hole drilled and tapped into the lifter bore feed galleries. Now I know the DOHC blocks have something similar to this but I have yet to see a good close up clean pic of the lifter valley in the dohc block. Mainly for the feed to the valvetrain up top, nor the returns back to the pan.

Will I know you have one of these blocks laying around. Anyway to get a pic of this so we can compare here? I still don't think it will work, but I need to put this to rest.

thanks
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

If you die, can I have your engine block?
At least you have aluminum heads on it... Not quite a 4point9...

Yeah, I'll get pictures... may take a bit, though. I've got a four day weekend with two job interviews over 2 hours away and Navy reserve drill four hours away...

It's not quite that simple...
I haven't looked at it too thoroughly, but from what Iv'e seen, there's a tap into one of the galleries that normally feeds the lifters and that tap supplies a small fitting on the top of the engine which has a check valve in it. After the oil goes through that check valve, it splits off and goes into each head about in the center. I'll get pics of that assembly and of the TDC deck surface, which has some pretty impressive oil drain back holes.

So are you actually going to do something with that block, or is it just a cylinder head rack?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Cool. Thanks. I have these pics:

Now it appears that maybe something could be fabbed up in the al block lifter valley similar to the anti drain back setup on the dohc. Also it looks like the oil returns to the pan not through the lifter valley but on the outer portion of the block Basically not even close to the lifter valley. That prob poses a prob. I dont' think it can be done but its still nice to see the difference between the two blocks

yea I would like to use this block one day. I know its no 4.9 engine but its the best I could with the money I had.

Its just been sitting here. I have no real good place to do the swap though. I dont' have access to a garage to swap motors and to assemble the engine. Also I drive this car daily. Which means I would need a second car. I could build it for iron heads, but that would defeat the purpose of this block. I want to go full aluminum. Lightest possible setup. That means DIS and also some coolant and dogbone issues. All of which I would need a garage to store things in while working on it. Or at least a roof of some sort. I dont' even have a carport.

so for now, its a head rack
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Whats up

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Ooops... Yeah, I need to snap those pics, don't I...

I hadn't looked in the manual yet, but from the diagrams you posted, it looks like there's only one oil gallery below the cam/I-shaft and it feeds both the cam and main bearings. From there it goes up through the check valve assembly and into the cylinder heads.

Yes, the oil drains through drainback passages in the block, not the lifter valley. Got any pics of the deck surface of a pushrod block? I've never had one apart to compare to the TDC.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I haven't forgotten about this... I just haven't been able to find my camera, either...
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Just a few pics I had on my computer
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Too bad you cant adapt the DOHC heads to the PR block. The newer PR blocks are cross bolted mains.

Cant you fab an external oil system? like hard lines feeding the heads from the cam passages?
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Dunno if I should tell you guys this before I have the block in my hands...

I was thinking of buying JM's prototype aluminum block. It supposedly has a removable valley tray like the 4point9's. With that removed, it should be possible to machine up a piece to replace it and supply oil to the DOHC heads. Oil drain back could be handled externally...

Got any pics of your block, JM?
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

HOLD ON! I was told the block sold months ago...
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I hadn't heard that. I hope it's not sold. I had designs on that thing...
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

I wanted it but couldnt come up with the cash so it was sold to someone "in the fiero community but not on Old Europe"
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

She's Long Gondi...

The Sad Part for all of you...

Aluminum Block
Prototype Alum heads
Prototype Alum intake
100Lbs of other shit

$350

Booyha...

I still have steel headgaskets for a 60 degree v6.
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I thought you wanted $1200+ for that thing...?

Who bought it? What's being done with it?
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Jon and Shaun bought the whole lot for 350 usd.

The block alone sold for 4 times that.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I know they bought it... who did they sell it to?
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

Gentleman in Arizona , it's going into an 88 , he is building an autocross car. I beleive it's nearly done.
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Gentleman in Arizona?
Greg Duncan? The other team python guy? George Ryan (is he in AZ?)?
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

Greg Duncan Bought a Porsche 914 I beleive , Chuck VorBil (sp?) is the guy who bought the block. I believe Team ""python"" gave up on the Fiero. I know they tossed the fourpointnine because of it's performance limitations and inability to compete in the class. This should tell those considering that engine something.