Someone else's trip to BAR's factory

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

eHoward
Banned

Someone else's trip to BAR's factory

Post by eHoward »

[QUOTE=pythonScott]Well, long story short, this last year as I lived in Germany I was able to make some connections on the BAR-Honda Formula 1 race team. After hanging out in the garage post-race after Hockenhiem, Monza, and Spa, I was invited to stop by the factory if I was ever up in England. I took a week vacation and drove up to the UK from Germany back in October. I stopped by the factory in Brackley, England and got to see all around the race shop and see where everything was engineered, built, fabricated, machined, etc, etc. I didn't get any pics inside the shops, because, as you know, what goes on is kept fairly secret, but I did get a few from the grounds and of 2 old V10's and a test car from last year that were in the main reception area.

I just realized I never posted my pics from the Monza and Spa paddock. I'll get those up too if you're interested.

A new wind tunnel is on the way !

here's the building in progress

Here's the main building of the many "where it all happens". The main office where all the designers and engineers work, including Geoff Willis' office is here. Pretty much all the metal parts (except the engine) are machined here. The autoclave that cooks all the composite parts is here. If you go through the garage door directly behind that first truck it puts you at the begining of the corridor to where all the race and test cars are prepped. Many of the doors that take you into the rooms where things like hydraulic systems are prepped or wire harnesses are made are off if this corridor.

Hey, nice Civic Type R! Reception is that-a-way ---->!

At the reception desk my dad and I each had one of these made up for us... a personalized visitors pass! a souvenir like that is just too cool.

Since I couldn't get pics "inside" here are some pics of a test car and 2 V10's they had for your browsing pleasure in the reception area.

A few different views of one V10:

Me by the car and a few more of the car. I was told it was a test car from last year and it looks like last years' 006 but the newer sposorship things lilke Showa and ENEOS threw me off.

pics of the RA004E V10...

While I was in the country I also toured the Lotus factory and got to see where every road going Lotus has ever been built. Because of many various reason no photography is allowed on the grounds of the factory (one of the reason being that much of Lotus' business comes from doing engineering work for others, so they dont want spy shot getting out of things that you might happen to see while on the grounds there)

The only cars that are currently built there is the Elise and Exige and its very cool to see these cars still assembled by hand. Here's some quick pics from that

dont miss this little sign on your way to the factory or you'll drive right by it!

the entrance and one of the 2 major buildings there at the factory

theres a dealership about 5 miles away from the factory where my dad and I went and "tried on" the Elises and Exiges. Once you're in, its not bad at all space wise. these are a few of the cars that were there.

Modified by pythonScott at 3:25 AM 12/4/2005[/QUOTE]
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Holy shit. That is some motor!

BTW, that motor has almost the same specs as aaron's.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Awesome engines.

The air/fuel travels quite a ways before it goes into the cylinder. The block looks so tiny when you see the heads on it.

Awesome :thumbleft:
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I love little more than downloading videos of F1 motors on the dyno and driving around a track. I am addicted to the sound. It is amazing how they get 260hp per liter, RESTRICTED. They often times near 300/l, all normally aspirated, and I think using a fuel similiar to 'pump' gas.

It is my goal to have a motor sound like those. Hence the interest in ITBs and such. That right there is the peak of automotive performance and technology. Fuck NHRA blown 600cu in blocks.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

You might get a 3.4 to sound like one of those... at idle...
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote:You might get a 3.4 to sound like one of those... at idle...
Yah watching the video of the new Cosworth V8, it idles at 9000 and revs up to 20,000 rpm. Simply amazing.

I of course don't expect it to sound like those, I want the basic high revving soortbike sound. The very quick throttle response, etc. Hard to explain, but I think it is possible. There are a few cars that have this basic sound to them, namely the Carrera GT, the new M5, older M3, and a few others. It isn't that far out of reach I don't think.
Indy

Post by Indy »

aaron wrote: and I think using a fuel similiar to 'pump' gas.
Not quite.

I hope my motor at 9KRPM sounds like that at when it's done. I think I lack the number of cylinders required, though. Those of you doing ITB's should definitely do the above-port injetion with a clear cover. Nothing looks better...
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Indy wrote:
aaron wrote: and I think using a fuel similiar to 'pump' gas.
Not quite.

I hope my motor at 9KRPM sounds like that at when it's done. I think I lack the number of cylinders required, though. Those of you doing ITB's should definitely do the above-port injetion with a clear cover. Nothing looks better...
I'd like to but I ordered mine with the injector bungs cast right below the throttle plate. This places the injector as far away from the valve as possible without going above the throttle plate. They say having the injector above the throttle plate can play hell on any prayer you have of idling. But I will have a clear cover so you can stare down 6 48mm barrels :salute:
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Indy

Post by Indy »

aaron wrote:
I'd like to but I ordered mine with the injector bungs cast right below the throttle plate. This places the injector as far away from the valve as possible without going above the throttle plate. They say having the injector above the throttle plate can play hell on any prayer you have of idling. But I will have a clear cover so you can stare down 6 48mm barrels :salute:[/quote]

Woohoo! Vids, man, vids.

Anyway, that's one way that my shop really pissed me off. I told them to put the injector bosses as far up the intake port as they could manage, then they go and put it as close as they would go. It's an old-school shop, and they said that's just the way they've always done it. :angry:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Indy wrote: Anyway, that's one way that my shop really pissed me off. I told them to put the injector bosses as far up the intake port as they could manage, then they go and put it as close as they would go. It's an old-school shop, and they said that's just the way they've always done it. :angry:
Put up some pics of this, I don't think I have seen it...
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Indy

Post by Indy »

Hijack

Maybe I'll put another set here.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I think where you had them in the second place would work pretty good, but is it worth going through the trouble to relocate them?
Indy

Post by Indy »

aaron wrote:I think where you had them in the second place would work pretty good, but is it worth going through the trouble to relocate them?
Not relocating them, putting another set of injectors there. That way when I want to up my power I don't have to get 96+ lb injectors. The injectors I have now flow tested at only 65 lb/h.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Indy wrote:
aaron wrote:I think where you had them in the second place would work pretty good, but is it worth going through the trouble to relocate them?
Not relocating them, putting another set of injectors there. That way when I want to up my power I don't have to get 96+ lb injectors. The injectors I have now flow tested at only 65 lb/h.
65s? How much power do you plan on running, 500?
Indy

Post by Indy »

aaron wrote:
65s? How much power do you plan on running, 500?
500+, or as the turbo will allow.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Good luck with that. Not saying it won't happen, but that is a lot of power to push out of the motor. Do you have a build thread sharing the details or not?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Indy

Post by Indy »

aaron wrote:Good luck with that. Not saying it won't happen, but that is a lot of power to push out of the motor. Do you have a build thread sharing the details or not?
Build thread? Yeah, I think you posted in it, lol. Turbo Super Duty Build on OE. The basics are GT35/37, stroker, 3 bar, 8KRPM, injected, A-W IC'd, direct port N2O......two-valve hehe

I've had some threads on here of assorted details of my build. I have a day off of work on Thursday, maybe I'll compile my tech article and submit it.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Yah I remember now.

I can't wait to see it done and running, and a dyno of course.

As for my idea on power, I'm gonna guess in the high 300s. Go for 500, I just think that is gonna be tough on that motor. But good luck, and prove me wrong!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

aaron wrote:Yah I remember now.

I can't wait to see it done and running, and a dyno of course.

As for my idea on power, I'm gonna guess in the high 300s. Go for 500, I just think that is gonna be tough on that motor. But good luck, and prove me wrong!
The Cosworth (4 valve) Super Duty motors made 500+ HP N/A. With boost on the 2 valve head, I don't think it's going to be a problem if the rotating parts are as beefy as the block is.