Removing cradle bushings

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Removing cradle bushings

Post by crzyone »

Well I decided to replace my rubber cradle bushings with aluminum bushings to stiffen up the car.

For anyone who has done this, how do you remove the rear cradle bushings? Thought I would ask before tearing into them with a saw or drill.

I have the fronts removed, one with a drill bit, one with fire just to see what is easier. In the end a combination of both was the best I found.
JamesCurtis

Post by JamesCurtis »

The rear as in the non-pivoting ones? I thought they just came apart kind of like a big mac. They might be stuck together due to rust, so a little brute force might be necessary.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Yea, what James said. They usually just fall off each side. Pull or pry on them and they'll slip right off, nothin really holds them there.
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

I had to pry the shit of out them to get them to separate from the cradle. I used a small sledge and a crowbar.

The bushings separated from the cradle, but acted like they were bonded to it. There were also a couple of metal casings that stayed attached to each rubber half. Start hammering...

Or get a blowtorch and burn em off.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Thanks guys, figured it out the other day. Had to pound the bottom ones pretty good to get them to come out.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

crzyone wrote:Thanks guys, figured it out the other day. Had to pound the bottom ones pretty good to get them to come out.
tell the REST of the story...
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Hey, quiet.

I decided to burn the bottom bushings out, didn't know they come out in one piece. The front bushings had me frustrated already.

Donk pounded on one and it came out so Donk actually showed me how its done.

Donk the tech master.