storing tranny , suggestions?

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Weponhead

storing tranny , suggestions?

Post by Weponhead »

Ok , i gots me 5 spd tranny now , its sitting drained of fluid... how should i go about storing it to keep it safe, plug the axle holes and should i put fluid back in it to keep everything inside the tranny nice and cozy?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

squirrals. Lots of squirrals.
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

I wouldn't bother with any fluid. The only way it gets distributed in the tranny is through gear rotation/splash. If it's not moving, it's not going to get oiled anyhow.

Plug the axle holes and just let it sit. Nothing in particular to do. If this is a junkyard tranny, do yourself a favor and split the case just to make sure there's nothing major wrong with it.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

personally if it is my tranny and its "really important" i would fill it full and plug any holes.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

I would plug the holes, put fluid in it and keep it in a clean dry place. A friend of mine had a trans stored empty on his garage floor and the internals rusted on it causing bearing noises when he finally used it.