Aluminum flywheel and lightweight clutch

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Aluminum flywheel and lightweight clutch

Post by crzyone »

I'm going to need a new clutch soon, the new stock fiero replacement clutch isn't holding up to the 3.4 like I thought it would.

I was looking on SPEC's website and noticed they sell a lightweight clutch option. Anyone know how much lighter it is? Just wondering if its really worth the extra $80. I imagine they took the weight out of the pressure plate. I'm not running a huge torque motor so I figure it should take any abust I can throw at it. Anyone have an opinion on this part? I don't know anyone that has a lightweight option.

I'm also going to order an aluminum flywheel from the fiero store. Does anyone here know how much it weighs compared to the stock cast iron 88 flywheel? The cast flywheel weighs a ton and I figure I could make this motor alittle snappier with less rotating mass.

My 17" rims and tires are actually lighter than my 15" winter tires, and have a smaller diameter. Not much for rotating mass I can save there.

Thanks!
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I think Bryce got the light weight pressure plate option from spec and it was just a couple of *speed holes*.

Dunno about the clutch itself.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

From SPEC, the lightweight option is a billet rather than cast pressure plate (the plate itself--the cover is still stamped steel).

They also sell an aluminum flywheel for the V6.

The stock V6 fylwheel is about 14#. That's not very heavy as flywheels go.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I want to say the aluminum flywheel for the v6 weighs in around 8-9 pounds.

Hmmmm I always thought the v6 flywheel was more then 14 pounds but then again I never weighed it so I will take Will's word for it.

Howeve dropping 5 pounds is a considerable amount. I plan on using one someday. I could care less if my car slows down quicker with it. Its just less work my breaks have to do.

I didnt' know Spec made an aluminum flywheel for the 60 degree? Is it listed on their website? Or did I just read it wrong and there isnt' one?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Standard

Post by Standard »

Fidanza makes an aluminum flywheel for the 2.8, part number 198261 and it weighs 8 lbs.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Spec and the fiero store both sell aluminum flywheels

Check out http://www.speclutches.com/specMain.html

Thanks for the info!