87 GT wont start + elctrical probs???

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

product1620

87 GT wont start + elctrical probs???

Post by product1620 »

ok when I first got the car it ran great, with the exception of the clouds of blue smoke from old valve seals(I think) the first thing That went was the radio, one minute it was working the next it wouldnt. So I was like ok maybe a fuse? umm wrong i checked them, there all good. Well i figured that the radio just went cuupuut so i said forget i'll just replace it with a cd player anyway. so a little later on down the road I noticed that the head lights and dash guage lights no longer come on, Hmmm?? they always worked before. Well one day I was working at my dads shop and I was letting it idle so the battery would stay charged and it ran out of GAS!!! :angry: come to find out the gas guage dosent work. so I put gas in it and it ran fine for the next few times I came out. Then one day it just starts acting up studering and stalling and then it just gets to where it wont run for longer than 3 seconds, sounds like crap and it has no power when it revs . so i went ahead and did the tune up and now it won't start at all. when I go to crank it up I don't hear the whine of the fuel pump like I used to just some sort of click and chug type noise. also I took off the original air intak box and tube and just stuck on a pipe and filter so I could clean up the original don't know if the lines not being connected would have any thing to do with this. any opinions will be appreciated.
Thanks
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
TurboGT

Post by TurboGT »

I would start by checking that you are getting power to the ecu. Next I woudl check that you have spark, then I woudl get a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure (~45psi). If you only get 30 it is not enough and it iis bad. I also think there is a plug on the firewall (inbetween the engine and the inside of the car) that goes to the fuel pump. You can also check for power there if you have 0 fuel pressure.

These cars are known for the pickup coil corroding (this would be under the no spark) and not making contact with the ignition module. So you should also take off the distributor cap and check that.

Good Luck, Just click on the pic to enlarge it. The pics are still a little small so try copying them to your computer and then zooming in.

product1620

Post by product1620 »

Ok thanks I'll check these when I get a chance to get back out to the shop.
thanks again! :thumbleft:
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.