The results are in........ Northstar dyno

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

aaron wrote:Wow those N*'s sure aren't pretty in stock form.
I think mine looks ok. No coil packs or spark plug wires to clutter it up.

This is how it looks now, don't mind the wires, I'm currently wiring the motor.

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Series8217 wrote:Very cool, Ryan! Congrats!

How about some pics of your exhaust?
This is how I routed my exhaust. I cut out my trunk so I had quite a bit of room to work with. 2 full size mufflers.

I'll stop hijacking the thread now....
whipped

Post by whipped »

You guys wanna see something crazy?

Here's a graph comparing the HP estimated by engine analyzer pro (run through a 23% tranny loss), and my actual dyno'd HP.

Besides the error at 6500, I'd have to say that's pretty good!
TurboGT

Post by TurboGT »

That is fucking awsome. With it being so close you could play with different cams, cam timing, ect. and see what you can get out of her. Good to see it running well :thumbleft:

Do you have to have adjustable cam gears to play with your timing?
whipped

Post by whipped »

I have been playing with it a bit. Interestingly enough, 11.5" runners with 266 exhausts (swap intake cams into exhaust slots), will net 350-370hp, depending on whether that 20hp "error" is still there.

Swap in 288 intake cams, with everything above, and 368-388hp, again depending on whether the error is there. Swapping all the cams to 288's doesn't seem to do much at all. Which is interesting, but I can get 2 288 cams from chr for $250, + springs, $150, and I'm golden for 7500pm revlimit and "about" 380hp at 6500.

But then again, $400 is 1/2 way to a vortech and 470hp... hehehe.

Either way, I need to start pulling in some money, because I'm going to need to upgrade the radiator, and I'd like to put 11.25" brakes on the rear, and get some wider tires all around. I've been in 2 accidents in the past month, one when I pulled into a left hand turn lane that ended 100' sooner than it should have, and another when I was coming home from the dyno, and rear ended a bitch who slammed on her brakes when the light turned yellow. No damage either time, but I'd like to minimize my braking distance.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

There is limited virtue in being able to stop faster than the guy behind you.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:There is limited virtue in being able to stop faster than the guy behind you.
At least you're never at fault when they do the rear ending..
whipped

Post by whipped »

Series8217 wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:There is limited virtue in being able to stop faster than the guy behind you.
At least you're never at fault when they do the rear ending..
exactly. If the bitch who slammed on her brakes reports the accident, Im pretty much at fault no matter what. They'll just put it on the report that I was driving too close. Instant rate increase.
Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

Nice job on the HP improvements! Glad to see someone making tuning progress with this engine.

As far as the mandrel bends go, I believe either summit or jegs sells STAINLESS 3.5" and 4.0" mandrel J or U bends. Not cheap tho.
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED
Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions | www.gmtuners.com
rockcrawl
The Best

Post by rockcrawl »

He said given the freedom to do whatever, he would extrude hone the exhaust manifolds. I believe he said the exhaust crossover was decent enough stock, but obviously there's some reason he'd hone the manifolds over any other mods...
I don't think he was talking about a Northstar. You can't extrude hone the manifolds, they are made from stamped and welded sheet metal. The crossover gets very tight under the oil pan and where it passes between the engine and trans.
whipped

Post by whipped »

rockcrawl wrote:
He said given the freedom to do whatever, he would extrude hone the exhaust manifolds. I believe he said the exhaust crossover was decent enough stock, but obviously there's some reason he'd hone the manifolds over any other mods...
I don't think he was talking about a Northstar. You can't extrude hone the manifolds, they are made from stamped and welded sheet metal. The crossover gets very tight under the oil pan and where it passes between the engine and trans.
I think he meant the flanges... I've never inspected it to see if there's a difference in size between that and the gaskets or the flange and the inside of the "tubing".
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

My northstar manifold. Gm's kick ass welding is still alive and well. Used a carbide bit , then a polishing bit to smooth it all out.

It added 75hp ..I could feel it.

Im sure it helped somewhat , they were pretty shitty lookin.

sorry to dig this up from the past..I have been away for a bit.
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
whipped

Post by whipped »

I knew I wasn't crazy!
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

william Capelle's Northstar Dyno

249/271

5spd car , not sure what ECM was used...Flywheel , ect..

I know DS-Will can shed some light on this.
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Stock ECM, same chip I'm running. I got my chip from him. He's running a 275 engine.

He's got a QM clutch so he's got a few whp from that.