The Democrats response to the state of the union.

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

p8ntman442 wrote:you said "or something like that" I thought I was being helpful, but once again you are jsut a complete ass. Then you bring it into another thread and try to bash me with it WHILE TALKING ABOUT AD HOMINEN. Do you realize how fucking rediculus your comments are.

This is a complete waste of time, but here goes.

you said "or something like that" I thought I was being helpful, but once again you are jsut a complete ass.

You wrote:

“I think your trying to say

..Premis
+Premis
----------
conclusionâ€
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

EBSB52 wrote: HUH? I asserted the US is Imperialistic, you rejected it, I posted at least 1, maybe 2 different definitions as I recall, you then said that you didn't like that definition of Imperialisma nd ran away from the thread.
I put that "debate" down because getting into anything with you is a waste of time. No matter what I say, you will still be convinced of your point of view, and you hide behind accusations of "brainwashing", etc.

Ed or Eb or whatever your name is, you're the one who doesn't know how to argue. Your accusation of Imperialism is based on a definition that I have shown to be invalid by demonstrating that it allows what is contrary to reality.
This is called proof by contradiction and is very common in mathematical circles.

Since it appears to be necessary to do so, I'll spell it out for you.
Mexican people have entered the US in the millions illegally. Our economy is dependent on them. They influence our political process and are changing our culture and language without being citizens or paying taxes. The pull US money out of the country without any sort of trade... This fits your definition of imperialism, yet by your own admission, the US relationship with Mexico is not imperialistic in either direction.

That is all I have to say about that. Don't bother trying to bait me any more.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
EBSB52 wrote: HUH? I asserted the US is Imperialistic, you rejected it, I posted at least 1, maybe 2 different definitions as I recall, you then said that you didn't like that definition of Imperialisma nd ran away from the thread.
I put that "debate" down because getting into anything with you is a waste of time. No matter what I say, you will still be convinced of your point of view, and you hide behind accusations of "brainwashing", etc.

Ed or Eb or whatever your name is, you're the one who doesn't know how to argue. Your accusation of Imperialism is based on a definition that I have shown to be invalid by demonstrating that it allows what is contrary to reality.
This is called proof by contradiction and is very common in mathematical circles.

Mexican people have entered the US in the millions illegally. Our economy is dependent on them. They influence our political process and are changing our culture and language without being citizens or paying taxes. The pull US money out of the country without any sort of trade... This fits your definition of imperialism, yet by your own admission, the US relationship with Mexico is not imperialistic in either direction.

You walked away from the argument, sweetcheeks.

I put that "debate" down because getting into anything with you is a waste of time.

Ad Hominem. I post definitions from objective sources and now you give me this crap about nothing ever being fully proveable, hence you can't be wrong.

No matter what I say, you will still be convinced of your point of view, and you hide behind accusations of "brainwashing", etc.

No, I don’t want to hear about Will’s life experiences or opinions. I want to read objective data that defines things, entities, etc… As for you being brainwashed, that’s not my argument that the US is Imperialistic, just my pinion of you and most military folks.

Your accusation of Imperialism is based on a definition that I have shown to be invalid by demonstrating that it allows what is contrary to reality.

OK, where is what you have to show its invalidity? I have never read it.

Here are definitions of Imperialism:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=imperialism

im·pe·ri·al·ismPronunciation Key (m-pîr--lzm)
n.
The policy of extending a nation's authority by territorial acquisition or by the establishment of economic and political hegemony over other nations.
The system, policies, or practices of such a government.

imperialism
n 1: a policy of extending your rule over foreign countries 2: a political orientation that advocates imperial interests 3: any instance of aggressive extension of authority

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/imperialism

imperialism
One entry found for imperialism.
Main Entry: im·pe·ri·al·ism 
Pronunciation: im-'pir-E-&-"li-z&m
Function: noun
1 : imperial government, authority, or system
2 : the policy, practice, or advocacy of extending the power and dominion of a nation especially by direct territorial acquisitions or by gaining indirect control over the political or economic life of other areas; broadly : the extension or imposition of power,

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/imperialism.html

im·pe·ri·al·ism [ im pree ə lìzzəm ]
noun Definitions:
1. belief in empire-building: the policy of extending the rule or influence of a country over other countries or colonies
2. domination by empire: the political, military, or economic domination of one country over another

3. takeover and domination: the extension of power or authority over others in the interests of domination
cultural imperialism

Here are examples of Imperialism:

http://www.answers.com/topic/history-of ... mperialism

- According to some who argue the U.S. has been imperialistic, the first step on the road to imperialism was the conquest of the Native American peoples who inhabited North America.

- The Mexican-American War from 1846 to 1848 is often viewed as motivated by American imperialism. In 1846, President James K. Polk sent soldiers to the disputed zone between Mexico and the newly annexed Republic of Texas in what most historians describe as a provocation for war.

- The late nineteenth century is the era which most historians consider to be that of imperialism. Starting as early as the 1870s the United States began to aggressively expand its influence overseas. The annexation of Hawaii and the fall-out from the Spanish-American War saw the United States very closely adopt the European model of empire.

- The Kingdom of Hawaii was long an independent monarchy in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. During the nineteenth century first American missionaries and then American business interests began to play a major role in the island. Most notable were the powerful fruit companies, such as Dole Pineapple. After a coup financed and directed by American interests overthrew the isolationist Queen Lili‘uokalani, the island became a republic in 1894 and in 1898 Hawaiian President Sanford Dole agreed to his nation's annexation by the United States. The republic ended in 1900 and the country became a territory of the US.

- The Philippine-American War (1899 to 1913) is often cited as another instance of United States imperialism. While many Filipinos were initially delighted to be rid of the Spanish rule of the Philippines, the guerrilla fighters soon found that the Americans were not prepared to grant them much more autonomy than Spain had. Thus for the next six years American forces engaged in a war in the jungles of the Philippines against the Filipino resistance. The war was expensive and quite unpopular in the United States, but eventually victory was attained.

- The most notable aspects of this period tend to be American military interventions in areas such as Vietnam, Grenada, and Iraq. Many would argue, however, that cultural and economic imperialism had far greater effects.

- Late 20th century
While for most of the United States' history imperialism has been a term used by critics to decry American policies, in recent years some have adopted the view that some forms of imperialism are desirable. Michael Ignatieff argues that American interventions should enforce intrinsic notions of human rights, and should have a form of "Empire Light" to do so. On the right-wing there are now thinkers who believe the United States should aggressively pursue a sort of democratic imperialism, these include Paul Wolfowitz and William Kristol.

OK, I’m a dick and you’re a brainwashed piece of shit, now let’s argue the merits based upon the data I proved and/or some you can provide. I’ve provided 3 dictionary definitions and 1 encyclopedic version, so just ignore it and run along little brainwashed boy - just like before. Oh, is Webster biased? Is MSN dictionary biased? Don’t be a joke.

Were the settlers building an empire by conquering and suppressing the American Indians? Were we Imperialists when we snatched Hawaii? Are we Imperialists that dangle fish in front of needy countries for use of land, ideology, support, etc? And then there’s this:

“On the right-wing there are now thinkers who believe the United States should aggressively pursue a sort of democratic imperialism, these include Paul Wolfowitz and William Kristol.â€
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

AKA supporting your opinion. I know, in the GI service you are required to blindly believe your elders…. Joke.

1) Mexican people have entered the US in the millions illegally. Our economy is dependent on them.

- Really? Were there that many illegals in the 40’s and 50’s? We were very prosperous then. Even if you’re right, then we owe the Mexican Nationals a lot.

2) They influence our political process

- They can’t vote, how do they influence it?

3) and are changing our culture

- How, by selling their crap at swap meets?

4) language

-How, by way of English only ballot propositions? English is still the only language recognized in legitimate businesses.

5) without being citizens or paying taxes.

- If they are part of our economy, then how is it they don’t contribute to the tax base? And they would love to be citizens.

6) The pull US money out of the country without any sort of trade.

- What is most of the cost of products? Other than corporate 7 digit salaries, labor is the major cost, so they trade their labor for the money, and the products they produce are traded in or out of the country.

A) This fits your definition of imperialism

- No, and this is the easiest point. When I read that statement I think of people who claim another citizen or a business failed to extend Constitutional rights to them. Catching on yet? A person doesn’t have the duty to extend Constitutional rights to another person. THE PEOPLE OF MEXICO HAVE NO WAY OF BEING IMPERIALISTS, AS THEY ARE NOT A GOVERNMENT OR ORGANIZED AGENCY OF ANY KIND. If you made that argument in a university classroom you would be laughed out by the professor. Imperialism is, “The policy of extending a nation's authority by territorial acquisition or by the establishment of economic and political hegemony over other nations.â€
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Nice switcheroo.

Now try for what you originally posted:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperialism

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Nice switcheroo.

Ownage.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

p8ntman442 wrote:
EBSB52 wrote:
Are you serious? I realize this isn't about you, Will, but you ignored the common defintion of, "Imerialist" becuase you thought it indicted the USA. Critical thinking requires the deduction "facts" and evidence to establish a probable conclusion, or something like that. WHen we rewrite the dictionary we lose that. It seems you and many Republicans arive at a conclusion, then look for evidence to support that, reject all other evidence.
I think your trying to say

..Premis
+Premis
----------
conclusion

"If it seems like many republicans arive at a conclusion, then search for facts"

why dont you look at the last democratic presidential candidate. Maybee he should try to stop distorting the facts, and stick to one conclusion.
Furthermore, it's, "Premise," genius.
Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

EBSB52 wrote:
Sinister Fiero wrote:Bush aside, lets talk about the topic at hand. How many times in Tim Kaine's speech did we hear "There is a better way"? Too friggen many. So what is the better way? All I have ever heard from the dems is there is a better way. Well, what the hell is it and when are you going to tell or show us what it is? The dems were in power for 30 years and I never saw the "better way". Quit talking about it and produce results. The American people want action, not talk.

The dems were in power for 30 years and I never saw the "better way".

Of course talking about the FDR era and later. Are you fucking serious? Took us from the Great Depression, the Hoovers era's blunder, brought us through a noble war, saved the world and threw us into the manufacturing heydays of the 50's, 60's and you want to see the change, "better way?" Hell, civil rights were established at the end of that too.

He brought us Social Security, the 1938 Fair Labor Standards Act, the New Deal(s) and many other acts that saved this country. FDR was likely the greatest pres of all times.....
Haha, what I bet you didn't know was that FDR was a member of Hoover's cabinet and actually was responsible for many of the ideas that led to the depression. Didn't know that, did you? I bet you also didn't know that FDR was very against racial integration (although his wife made very great strides pushing for equality). FDR also lied to the American people trying to get us into WWII (before Pearl Harbor) and he also put American Citizens into concentration camps during the war. Great president, huh? Bush authorizes a few secret wiretaps between suspected, off-shore terrorists and an American citizen and you guys have kittens! Where is your bleeding heart for those American citizens that FDR imprisoned in those concentration camps back in WWII?

I think you need to find and watch that FDR special that was played on the History Channel a few months ago and learn just how "great" some of your dem presidents were.

As always, the dem's never want to talk about the dark side of their party but they are always quick to point out "faults" they "think" they see on the other side of the politcal isle. Like the saying goes: He who smelt it, delt it". That saying couldn't be more true nowadays.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

The Dark Side of Slick Willie wrote:
Nice switcheroo.

Nice switcheroo.

When did I ever say I was reposting an exact version of what I previously posted? In fact, I posted 4 total sites this time so Will, the cowardly GI Joe would see that the previous definition I posted was OBJECTIVE, as he was saying it wasn’t. So now we have 5 total different definitions and I implore you post more from objective sources. You, as usual, are running from the truth: The US is an Imperialist nation and was hundreds of years before and as the US become a nation.

TO WASTE MORE BANDWIDTH FOR WILL, I WILL POST ALL OF THE 5 IMPERIALIST DEFINITIONS SO WE CAN SEE HOW THEY DIFFER

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=imperialism

im·pe·ri·al·ismPronunciation Key (m-pîr--lzm)
n.
The policy of extending a nation's authority by territorial acquisition or by the establishment of economic and political hegemony over other nations.
The system, policies, or practices of such a government.

imperialism
n 1: a policy of extending your rule over foreign countries 2: a political orientation that advocates imperial interests 3: any instance of aggressive extension of authority

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/imperialism

imperialism
One entry found for imperialism.
Main Entry: im·pe·ri·al·ism 
Pronunciation: im-'pir-E-&-"li-z&m
Function: noun
1 : imperial government, authority, or system
2 : the policy, practice, or advocacy of extending the power and dominion of a nation especially by direct territorial acquisitions or by gaining indirect control over the political or economic life of other areas; broadly : the extension or imposition of power,

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/imperialism.html

im·pe·ri·al·ism [ im pree ə lìzzəm ]
noun Definitions:
1. belief in empire-building: the policy of extending the rule or influence of a country over other countries or colonies
2. domination by empire: the political, military, or economic domination of one country over another

3. takeover and domination: the extension of power or authority over others in the interests of domination
cultural imperialism

Here are examples of Imperialism:

http://www.answers.com/topic/history-of ... mperialism

- According to some who argue the U.S. has been imperialistic, the first step on the road to imperialism was the conquest of the Native American peoples who inhabited North America.

- The Mexican-American War from 1846 to 1848 is often viewed as motivated by American imperialism. In 1846, President James K. Polk sent soldiers to the disputed zone between Mexico and the newly annexed Republic of Texas in what most historians describe as a provocation for war.

- The late nineteenth century is the era which most historians consider to be that of imperialism. Starting as early as the 1870s the United States began to aggressively expand its influence overseas. The annexation of Hawaii and the fall-out from the Spanish-American War saw the United States very closely adopt the European model of empire.

- The Kingdom of Hawaii was long an independent monarchy in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. During the nineteenth century first American missionaries and then American business interests began to play a major role in the island. Most notable were the powerful fruit companies, such as Dole Pineapple. After a coup financed and directed by American interests overthrew the isolationist Queen Lili‘uokalani, the island became a republic in 1894 and in 1898 Hawaiian President Sanford Dole agreed to his nation's annexation by the United States. The republic ended in 1900 and the country became a territory of the US.

- The Philippine-American War (1899 to 1913) is often cited as another instance of United States imperialism. While many Filipinos were initially delighted to be rid of the Spanish rule of the Philippines, the guerrilla fighters soon found that the Americans were not prepared to grant them much more autonomy than Spain had. Thus for the next six years American forces engaged in a war in the jungles of the Philippines against the Filipino resistance. The war was expensive and quite unpopular in the United States, but eventually victory was attained.

- The most notable aspects of this period tend to be American military interventions in areas such as Vietnam, Grenada, and Iraq. Many would argue, however, that cultural and economic imperialism had far greater effects.

- Late 20th century
While for most of the United States' history imperialism has been a term used by critics to decry American policies, in recent years some have adopted the view that some forms of imperialism are desirable. Michael Ignatieff argues that American interventions should enforce intrinsic notions of human rights, and should have a form of "Empire Light" to do so. On the right-wing there are now thinkers who believe the United States should aggressively pursue a sort of democratic imperialism, these include Paul Wolfowitz and William Kristol.

“On the right-wing there are now thinkers who believe the United States should aggressively pursue a sort of democratic imperialism, these include Paul Wolfowitz and William Kristol.â€
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

crzyone wrote:
Nice switcheroo.

Ownage.
Willie said he doesn't like you using your teeth. Explain these:

1) Where did I ever say I was reposting the exact version of Imperialism? In case your 8th grade education didn't teach you this, defintions vary, so I posted several to give broad array of objectivity, as Willie claimed my defintions were tailored.

2) Why haven't you answered my questions?
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

Sinister Fiero wrote:
EBSB52 wrote:
Sinister Fiero wrote:Bush aside, lets talk about the topic at hand. How many times in Tim Kaine's speech did we hear "There is a better way"? Too friggen many. So what is the better way? All I have ever heard from the dems is there is a better way. Well, what the hell is it and when are you going to tell or show us what it is? The dems were in power for 30 years and I never saw the "better way". Quit talking about it and produce results. The American people want action, not talk.

The dems were in power for 30 years and I never saw the "better way".

Of course talking about the FDR era and later. Are you fucking serious? Took us from the Great Depression, the Hoovers era's blunder, brought us through a noble war, saved the world and threw us into the manufacturing heydays of the 50's, 60's and you want to see the change, "better way?" Hell, civil rights were established at the end of that too.

He brought us Social Security, the 1938 Fair Labor Standards Act, the New Deal(s) and many other acts that saved this country. FDR was likely the greatest pres of all times.....
Haha, what I bet you didn't know was that FDR was a member of Hoover's cabinet and actually was responsible for many of the ideas that led to the depression. Didn't know that, did you? I bet you also didn't know that FDR was very against racial integration (although his wife made very great strides pushing for equality). FDR also lied to the American people trying to get us into WWII (before Pearl Harbor) and he also put American Citizens into concentration camps during the war. Great president, huh? Bush authorizes a few secret wiretaps between suspected, off-shore terrorists and an American citizen and you guys have kittens! Where is your bleeding heart for those American citizens that FDR imprisoned in those concentration camps back in WWII?

I think you need to find and watch that FDR special that was played on the History Channel a few months ago and learn just how "great" some of your dem presidents were.

As always, the dem's never want to talk about the dark side of their party but they are always quick to point out "faults" they "think" they see on the other side of the politcal isle. Like the saying goes: He who smelt it, delt it". That saying couldn't be more true nowadays.
Haha

That’s the most intelligent thing I see in this post; should have stopped there.

…what I bet you didn't know was that FDR was a member of Hoover's cabinet and actually was responsible for many of the ideas that led to the depression.

I didn’t know that, instead of quoting yourself, try posting some links to objective historical sites. I would like to know which position he held in Hoover’s cabinet and which decisions he made that led to the Great Depression.

I bet you also didn't know that FDR was very against racial integration (although his wife made very great strides pushing for equality).

Do you know anything about Brown vs. Board of Education? I just wasted key strokes, but hey, Bevis and Butthead are on. Brown, originally written in 1954 as I recall, had some subsequent decisions, established, “Separate but Equal,â€
Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

EBSB52, I really don't have time to get into a deep debate on this issue because as Will said earlier, "getting into anything with you is a waste of time. No matter what I say, you will still be convinced of your point of view, and you hide behind accusations of "brainwashing", etc. "

But I will say this. If you question what I have said, do like I said and locate that FDR special the History Channel did, and watch it. It will address all of your concerns.

As far as you slinging mud against my name and attempting to describe my education level as "8th grade", you are sorely mistaken. Try about 7 years beyond that to be more accurate. But that's ok, I see where you are taking this thread. Like many others, you have resorted to personal attacks on my character for whatever reason. Like I said, he who smelt it, delt it. And, in case you are wondering, liberalism IS a mental disorder.