4 . 9 swap thread, because I can.

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Fast88Fiero

4 . 9 swap thread, because I can.

Post by Fast88Fiero »

I have had a couple of people tell me I need to start a thread about my engine swap and mods, so I figured I would.

It all started last year. My built up V6 was useing a good ammount of oil. When I took the engine apart I found a couple of cylinder walls scored. I decided instead of rebuilding the V6 I would do an engine swap. I was considering a 3800SC or a 3.4TDC swap but was having a hard time finding a good engine for a good price. One day while surfing ebay I came across a 91 Cadillac DeVille with the 4 . 9 V8. It was smashed in the rear but had only 90K miles on it. It was about an hour away from where I live too. I ended up buying the car for $560. It was owned by old people and always serviced at the Cadillac dealership. I have a stack of papers that came with the car of everything that had been done to it. Everything from the 8 new injectors that had been installed a month before the crash to oil changes ever 3K miles.

I went and picked the car up and started pulling the engine a week later. It took me 3 hours to get the 4 . 9 out of the Cadillac. I pulled the intake manafold, valve covers, water pump, timing cover and oil pan off of the engine. I did that for a couple of reasons. I wanted to inspect how the inside of the engine looked and I wanted to reseal everything. The engine looks brand new inside so I reassembled everything with new gaskets and a new waterpump. The next step was to bolt the transmission to the engine, lift it with the engine hoist, get it level on the cradle and build the mounts. If you look at Rockcrawl's website you'll know what my mounts look like. I pretty much followed what he had done. I ordered 2 poly trans mounts for a V8 chevy truck and used them for my engine mounts. I also got poly transmission mounts. Once I got the engine mounted to the crade I installed it into the car and started the wireing. Wireing was really easy on the engine. I had everything from the Cadillac's pcm, engines sensors and Fiero's harness labeled and pretty much connected everything together. I had rockcrawl reprogram my chip to get rid of the passkey crap, evap crap and transmission crap. He also moved my rev limiter up a bit (6000RPM) and removed my speed limiter.

After finishing all that I installed my MSD distributor cap, rotor, 8.5mm plug wires and rapid fire AC delco plugs. I connected the fuel lines, coolant lines, filled the cooling system and started it up. It ran good the first try, but wasnt exactly right. I had flipped a couple of my plug wires around so once I got that fixed it ran good. I then connected my flowmaster muffler to the outlet on the rear exhaust manafold and was ready to go. I drove the car for a couple of months. I was pretty happy with it. It has more torque and power down low than my V6 did but doesnt pull as good at higher RPM or speed. I figured with some help my 4 . 9 could be a lot better.

This winter I took the engine back apart for some work. I purchased an Allante intake manafold. It is a lot less restrictive than the stock 4 . 9 intake and looks better IMO. It has a larger throttle body and more even runners. I also removed my heads and took them into work to port them. I about doubbled the size of the intake and exhaust ports (gasket matched) and opened up the bowl area quite a bit. It was amazing how much extra metal was in them. This should add a good ammount of power and help the engine breathe at higher RPM.

Another restrictive part of this engine is the exhaust manafolds. I am currently making a set of equal lenght headders at work. These should add some power and assist in the higher RPM range.

On top of all that I have nitrous. :thumbleft: I'm going to use either a 75 or a 100 shot. My goals are to be a 13.5 without nitrous and in the 12's with nitrous. I'm not sure if I'll make it there but I should be close. I'm thinking maybe next winter I'll get a cam regrind done and add some boost. I'll have some track slips and dyno numbers after it's all together and running. I'll post them even if they arent as good as I want them to be. This is a pretty nice swap for what it is, but it defenatly isnt the fastest engine on earth. I'm happy with it and thats all that matters. :la:

mid process of porting exhaust ports. Top is stock bottom is ported.

Same as above description, but intake ports.

Upper Allante intake after polishing.

Nitrous:

Engine before install:

My rims after being painted(were white):
88 coupe: 2.0 turbo 4. T25, w2a, meth injection
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

If you go turbo... don't use an 'old saab turbo' that was layin around.. :salute:
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Nothing wrong with hopping up a 4point9.

Looks like youre taking performance seriously.
MiZer
and all I got was this lousy title

Post by MiZer »

whats wrong with a sabb turbo! its from a smoker!
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

A couple more pictures. Everything ready to go back together. Notice
the Ecotec engine on the engine stand. Future project maybe. :D

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Your exhaust ports do definitly look better now. Going to put some stiffer valve springs on there? If you do, I suggest getting the steel rocker supports. The stock aluminum ones break pretty easy. Any Cadillac dealer will have them listed. Stronger springs may take the bolts right out of the aluminum supports.

Looking good so far.
Ultimate 85
Location: Chained up & locked in a box. Sinking to the bottom of a lake

Post by Ultimate 85 »

You forgot to slap a carb on that puppy...

JK :thumbup:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

sweet nice post baby.

Should make a bit more power. You suck for not making it to Daytona. Blah blah blah house payment blah blah blah.

Yea you shoudl swap to a carb, and a auto tranny cause thats proven to run 13's!!! Just ask Earl. Of course he is the only person to do it, and do it in the hot florida weather no less. I mean perfect weather conditions for making quick e'ts.

He has a isuzu 5 spd now swap as well so with just his carb as a mod he should be easily in the 12's. We all know that the Carbs add huge power!!!
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

I'm going to the salvage yard this weekend and am going to get a carb off of a old Honda. Have you seen the aftermarket for Honda's?! It's amazing!
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

crzyone wrote:Your exhaust ports do definitly look better now. Going to put some stiffer valve springs on there? If you do, I suggest getting the steel rocker supports. The stock aluminum ones break pretty easy. Any Cadillac dealer will have them listed. Stronger springs may take the bolts right out of the aluminum supports.

Looking good so far.
I'm most likely going to get the steel rocker supports. I've heard of the bolts being pulled out of the aluminum supports. They say it's because they used self tapping bolts. Sounds like GM crap to me. :thumbleft: It's defenatly something I want to do when I get a cam regrind. Would be nice to install some roller rockers too.

I also forgot to post a picture of my nitrous pressure gauge I mounted on the side of my gauge cluster.

Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

I'm hopeing I'll have the engine back together this weekend. I purchased the gasket kit so I should be able to assemble the engine on Saturday. I'm still working on the exhaust and headders at work, but it will run without an exhaust. :afrocool: I also have to finish running the nitrous line, get the nitrous bottle filled and fix my speedometer. This is gonna be cool. :la:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

sweet its coming along nicely.

should make some pretty good power. Especially with th nitrous it should be pretty quick. Just take it easy on that tranny

You broke 2 with just the v6 and this will put down more tq so lay off the powershifts for tranny life please.

Linenoise ran a 14.1 with a 50-70 shot or something like that with an auto tranny on his turd motor.

Of course he never posted timeslips nor admited to running nitrous on that pass, but I am pretty sure he did. Befoer he ran 14.8 @ 90 as his best pass then claims he put a chip in and it dropped him .6 and 7 mph in the qtr? Hell no!! Thast what my old 85 Gt auto picked up as well a 7 mph increase is about 70 extra hp or so. A chip didnt' add that much sorry. He sprayed it and never admited it.

So you should be quite a bit faster then that with your heads and nitrous and manual tranny. Just dont' break the tranny please.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

updates on the turd?

Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:updates on the turd?
Yep, it's cold as fuck outside and I havent touched it in 2 weeks. I'll have it together when it warms up a little bit. I really need to finish insulating my garage and install a heater. :thumbleft:
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

I went out to the garage and looked at the car again today. It's 36* outside which is still too damn cold to get anything done. We're like 10* below normal temp for this month. This really sucks. Hopefully it warms up in the next couple of weeks so I can finish the damn thing. I paid for another 6 months of insurance last week so once it's finished I can drive it. I still need to get the nitrous bottle filled.

After seeing the pictures from Daytona I'm glad I didnt bust ass to try to make it. Looks lame. Defenatly wasnt too many people there.
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

Getting closer. Got to get the headders done and put the upper intake/throttle body on. :)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

This is actually similar to what I've been musing about doing with a 4point9... Allante intake (already have one), custom headers to match the engine's natural power range, porting, etc.
How are you determining the proper header specs?

I guess since you're doing this, I'll just have to build an AutoRotor supercharged '90 4.5.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

sweet. nice work.

Almost done now.
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

IT LIVES!!!! :thumbleft:

Lots of stuff to finish up, and not one piece of exhaust on it, but I just got it fired up about 2 min ago. God damn is it loud...lol. :la:
88 coupe: 2.0 turbo 4. T25, w2a, meth injection
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

NOICE