Gobbled another thermostat.

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Gobbled another thermostat.

Post by stimpy »

This is getting perplexing. I took my car to my dad's shop (about 2 hrs away) to get new brakes. Driving home last night, it was very windy, so that may have put some extra strain on the motor, but nothing terribly abusive. I got home then left to take a video back. At the video store, I started my car and heard a tell-tale groan of a bubble of air being pushed along the passenger side coolant tube. Sure enough, I opened my cap and found another thermostat crushed in the housing. (I'll go take a pic and update) What's the deal here? It only seems to happen after I've been running the car fairly hard for a couple of hours, the temp doesn't get all that hot (I can stick my finger in the coolant!) and nce I replace the thermostat, I'm fine for a while.

Details- 3800SCII, Fiero thermostat housing.
z.MacK
Use a smaller avatar

Post by z.MacK »

My stock engine ate two last winter, and one the spring. This with my entire cooling system new, an in good shape.

I gave up an ran all summer without one... But once it started getting cold I had to have one. So I switched to a diff brand, that was made out of much noticeably thicker metal. Its been 2 months so far and its still good.

I expect my problem was because I was putting in a low quality (unknown to me) thermostats.