all Aluminum 2point8 prototype race engine???

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

all Aluminum 2point8 prototype race engine???

Post by p8ntman442 »

Some may already know that I have a line on an all aluminum 2 . 8 v6 that was used several years ago in a citation for ice racing, It has been sitting for a few years in a garage. Im just wondering what you guys think the value of this would be. Or if anyone is interested in it if it is out of my price range. I dont know any details on the engine except it has an aluminum block.
Last edited by p8ntman442 on Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

got it!
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

see current discussion

phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=484
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

just block or all aluminum? get more info. That will be the factor in its worth.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

so what happened here?
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

talked to my buddy in class, and the engine was built for a fiero, alluminum block, with heads (not sure alluminum or steel) ballanced and dynoed at 225hp at 5k rpm, redlines at 8k. Dynoed and then never put in the car for ice racing, it sat for 6 yrs in plastic wrap. No oil pan, but it has a *special intake* No idea what that means, I dont think it was fuel injected.

the kicker, the guy will let it go for 500 bucks. Im so excited. Will find out more asap. I hope to get the CR, find out if it has a cam, determine the head type, valve sizing, valvetrain, and flywheel situation. roller/not and what else i can. will probably pick it up this weekend if all goes well.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

ok just got word that the block and heads are both all aluminum. Woot! but the guy told my buddy that the head gaskets are copper and have to be. Now for the interesting part. From the horses mouth this time. The guy did not build the engine, he aquired it from a school in dedham mass (a genreal motors school I guess) the engine originally came in a fiero, and was a prototype that was dynoed and torn down, then reassmbled and torn down again, looking for weak links in an r&d effort to build a racing engine for the fiero.

The pistons have numbers stamped on them. Hes gonna load the block, crank and pistons in his car tonight and bring them to school tomorrow, Will post pics if pip allows :scratch: then hell bring me the heads the next day.

Now hes not the most attentative to detal guy, with add and all, but he said that the motor like doubled its hp at 7000 rpm, which I find out of the realm of possibility, especially with the current intakes available.

ok your turn anyone got info on any gm school from dedham mass or prototype alluminum 2.8's
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

hmm sounds itneresting. We dont' have PIP but when you get pics email them to

Shaun41178@hotmail.com and I will host them for you so that you can post them.

Sounds itneresting. Most likely the heads are prototype gen 1 heads and if that is the case they are pretty rare but will prob have the small LO valves in them no the HO valves like in the fieros. Still pretty cool though considering. but still could have the Gen 2 heads.

I can't see the engine making over 200 unless it has an aftermarket EFI system on it. Most likely it does. Eitehr a set of webbers or a carb. Cam is prob setup for a lopie idle to make over 200 which isn't a bad thing. Who knows on the CR.

Get a bunch of pics. Sounds like you came into a great find.

Me and Jon found something similar last summer. Nice find man. This should be sweet to see. Can't wait.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I'd love to see it also... maybe it's another one of those prototype blocks with a removable valley tray...
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

You guys think your excited! You should have seen the grin on my face when i heard 500 bucks.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

yea ti might be $500 but it coudl be garbage too.

Examine everything closely.

So do you haev any parts yet?
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:28 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hes gonna load the block, crank and pistons in his car tonight and bring them to school tomorrow

you have to wait a little while. If he dosent bring them to school tomorow, im gonna punch him in the gut.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

bring a magnet with you.
Doug Chase

Post by Doug Chase »

eHoward wrote:bring a magnet with you.
Ha! I actually laughed out loud at this one. :)

Why don't we have any normal fucking smilies around here?

Doug
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

all aluminum! Big valves, pistons measured to the thousandth place all details and pics coming within the hour.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Congrats. Hope it works out well for you.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

all pics of the engine on my table at school are here

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/p8ntman44 ... 0c&.src=ph

looks like I bought a fresh rebuilt all aluminum 2.8 with the larger valves in the heads, for 500 bucks.
The cam seems to be stock, and there are no intakes with it other than the stock fiero lower intake which was purchased seperatly by the previous owner. the bore shows it is a 2.8 and has not been bored. There will be a build thread with this very soon as my current 2.8 is on its death bed.

I hope you all like this, and if anyone knows anything about these blocks, or heads, or R.M.co (name is stamped in the head) please drop me a line.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

basically all i can get for now, please request any dimensions you will need or want because this thing is going in my car very soon.
Last edited by p8ntman442 on Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

DAM THESE PROTOTYPE ALUMINUM 2point8 BLOCKS!!!
I WANT ONE!!!!

How do I get full resolution pictures? Do I have to pay for them?

Can you take more pictures of the valley area, both with the valley tray installed and with it removed?

If I interpret these pictures correctly, the vertical tube on the left bank feeds oil to the lifter galleries in a way that's not unlike how the oil is fed to the heads in a TDC engine.

IOW, one of these blocks with the removable valley tray would be a MUCH easier way to build an all aluminum TDC than the "normal" aluminum bowtie block. And since it's aluminum it should be easily welded.

Also, it may be possible to use the aftermarket overbored sleeves available for a 4point9 in a block like this. Wanna run a 96mm bore? 3.5+ V6 with 76mm stroke?

The possibilities give me wood
Well... almost... it's still just a V6.

Wanna sell it?

Nice sandwich
Last edited by The Dark Side of Will on Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.