Why does my fiero idle at 1500 rpm???

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

product1620

Why does my fiero idle at 1500 rpm???

Post by product1620 »

I know I need to check my vaccum lines but is there anything else that can cause high idle??? It appears that my egr tube might have a crack in it, could that cause high idle as well?

Thanks!
Chris.
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Re: Why does my fiero idle at 1500 rpm???

Post by Series8217 »

product1620 wrote:It appears that my egr tube might have a crack in it, could that cause high idle as well?
Yup. That creates a vacuum leak.
product1620

Post by product1620 »

Your my hero! Thanks!
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

and why is mine idling at 2000rpm now after having done nothing to it?

*warning thread cross posting*

ok since I probably won't be changing turbos for a little while .. back on topic..

after taking that vid, the next time i started the car it idles at 2000rpm, I had taken some shortcuts when I installed the FPR with not mounting it and using crap vac line so i pulled the intake, and the fuel rail. removed the stock FPR and blocked off the port (now only one hose going to the fuel rail or coming out of it)

i replaced all the rubber vac lines with new black rubber vac hoses.. back together.. same thing still idling at 2000rpm

so i check the scanner.. the ecm is placing the IAC at 100 (dunno the scale on these since its been as high as 140 that i've seen) but when it was idling nicely at 900 rpm it was at 40.. its in closed loop and the a/f is shifting between rich and lean (on the wideband its swinging back and forth about 2 points (need to hook up the digital display to see the actual number) and the ecm is calling for a 900rpm idle

so now i'm confused, its doing its usual balance the a/f thing, its calling for a lower idle than what its idling at.. why isn't the IAC closing

look at the boost gauge for a vac leak.. nope pulling a solid 20"hg

look at scanner some more.. only thing i can think of is the TPS is seeing a 3% throttle when close and 99% when wot..

could the 3% throttle be keeping it from even TRYING to idle down? and why would it have changed since i had it fired up for the video?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Kohburn wrote:look at scanner some more.. only thing i can think of is the TPS is seeing a 3% throttle when close and 99% when wot..

could the 3% throttle be keeping it from even TRYING to idle down?
It won't idle down unless it sees 0%.
and why would it have changed since i had it fired up for the video?
When you removed the intake you may have damaged the wiring or disturbed already corroded/damaged wiring. Check your other thread, I posted some more ideas in there.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Series8217 wrote:
Kohburn wrote:look at scanner some more.. only thing i can think of is the TPS is seeing a 3% throttle when close and 99% when wot..

could the 3% throttle be keeping it from even TRYING to idle down?
It won't idle down unless it sees 0%.
and why would it have changed since i had it fired up for the video?
When you removed the intake you may have damaged the wiring or disturbed already corroded/damaged wiring. Check your other thread, I posted some more ideas in there.
didn't remove the intake untill after it started idling at 2000 - back to other thread