88 wheel bearings

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

88 wheel bearings

Post by Mach10 »

I know this was an issue a few years ago... But has anyone ever found a replacement or a cache of NOS bearings? :scratch:

'cos if I could fine 4 of 'em, I'd be all over that shit.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

http://www.rodneydickman.com

In the "exterior" section. $184 plus shipping.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

Are the rear-bearings still available, then?
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Rear's are the same as the 84-87's and AFIK they are still available. check the Fierostore, or autozone, I think they were a commonly used wheel bearing.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Yep, Fierostore has 'em for $90, but I think autozone has 'em for 70-75..
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

I see... I thought the 88s were all different.

$425 for bearings... *shudder*

Guess we'll see in November then, won't we. :thumbleft:
Fierocious

Post by Fierocious »

how would you know if they are bad? lots of road noise? I've only recently heard that they are prone to going bad
1988 Fiero GT
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

slop - rear brake noise when turning one way -
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

I've had to replace wheel bearings on EVERY used car that I've ever owned...

Constant-wear item, although they are usually good for at least 100,000....

Still, nice to know I can get ahold of some. It's the only real thing holding me back from buying an 88. But I kinda want the suspension.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Mach10 wrote:I've had to replace wheel bearings on EVERY used car that I've ever owned...

Constant-wear item, although they are usually good for at least 100,000....

Still, nice to know I can get ahold of some. It's the only real thing holding me back from buying an 88. But I kinda want the suspension.
its the front wheel bearings i thought people complained about on the 88
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I don't think it would be too hard to come up with an alternate knuckle design that would use a more common bearing.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The aftermarket 88 front bearings are complete crap.

Theres a set of 88 front bearings on a coupe at the U-Pick-U-Save in Wilmington, CA if anyone needs a set of factory ones.

You can machine the front 88 knuckle to take a rear Fiero bearing, just stick a bolt through the hub/bearing in place of the axle so it doesnt fall apart.
We're looking into some alternatives at WCF, I'll let you guys know if we come up with anything else.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Series8217 wrote:The aftermarket 88 front bearings are complete crap.

Theres a set of 88 front bearings on a coupe at the U-Pick-U-Save in Wilmington, CA if anyone needs a set of factory ones.

You can machine the front 88 knuckle to take a rear Fiero bearing, just stick a bolt through the hub/bearing in place of the axle so it doesnt fall apart.
We're looking into some alternatives at WCF, I'll let you guys know if we come up with anything else.
the solstice sky hubs wouldn't happen to use the same axle spline would they? those bearings don't need a bolt through em

only downfall would be the new bolt circle
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Kohburn wrote:the solstice sky hubs wouldn't happen to use the same axle spline would they? those bearings don't need a bolt through em

only downfall would be the new bolt circle
The bolt pattern can be redrilled quite easily. However, the centerbore is also much larger, so you wouldn't be able to fit your stock brakes or wheels. That's the biggest problem..
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Because GM has no cross-platform standardization for parts smaller than powertrains.
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

What about hacking up a set of axle shafts to occupy the space? Dunno where I'd even start in looking for a bolt with the right thread, splines, and metallurgical properties.... :scratch:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Held does that... Just seems like an uninspired bandaid to me, especially when they're making their stuff from scratch and could use whatever bearing they wanted, provided they weren't too lazy to do the research.
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

Given the option of a $15 set of junkyard axles and $110/ea wheel bearings, a hacksaw, and an hour's worth of machine time...

Compared to $400 (us, + shipping) for a set of supposedly useless aftermarket bearings...

And given that I'm not too shit-hot on the idea of spending $500 each on a custom knuckle to use $30 bearings....

Seems to me that as long as the bandaid is a) safe, b) reliable, and c) attainable... I try not to be a cheapass mofo, but I AM a cynic and enough of a pragmatist to accept a workable and viable solution.

Regardless of how boring and uninspiring it might be.