US GP Shots

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

eHoward
Banned

US GP Shots

Post by eHoward »

I went out to Indy for the US GP this year. Really was a great experience. The race itself wasn't anything great. The sound of an F1 car is something that needs to be heard in person to appreciate.

I really didn't get any good shots, but here goes:

http://www.howard.saturnet.net/USGP_06/USGP_06.html
Fierocious

Post by Fierocious »

sweet :thumbleft:
1988 Fiero GT
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

What I wouldn't give to drive a Indy/F1 car:
Chase Race

Re: US GP Shots

Post by Chase Race »

eHoward wrote:
Ahhh, nothing like spending a day wandering around the track watching qualifying while eating turkey legs and drinking (many) oil cans of Fosters...
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
425-269-5636
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Looks like you were seated right at the 1st corner, where the big crash was on the 1st lap, and again when the race went green. Not too often you see an F1 car flip, let alone multiple times.

We get the Cart series racing here, last year was the 1st time at edmonton, and I was there, and yeah, it sounds much different in person than on the TV, you can hear and feel the blow off valves go off in them cart cars. F1 cars arent boosted so that sound is missing.

They can still get lots of power from pushrod 2valve per cylinder naturally aspriated V8's in the F1 cars though, and decent reliability. Alonso was still on the same Engine that he raced in Canada last weekend, which is pretty good, considering the stress they are put through.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

befarrer wrote:
They can still get lots of power from pushrod 2valve per cylinder naturally aspriated V8's in the F1 cars though, and decent reliability. Alonso was still on the same Engine that he raced in Canada last weekend, which is pretty good, considering the stress they are put through.
No pushrods. Valves are pneumatically controlled. That, along with fancy lightweight metals, and a short stroke allows for 19500rpms redlines. F1 engines share very little in common with street engines.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I was in Northwest Vista for the race. It gives a decent view of turn one.

I was pretty low. Row G I think. Not bad for buying the ticket from the ticket office 2 days before the race though.

If you look at 5th picture closely, you can see the car rolling.
befarrer wrote:Looks like you were seated right at the 1st corner, where the big crash was on the 1st lap, and again when the race went green. Not too often you see an F1 car flip, let alone multiple times.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I was looking for some rules saying you cannot use pushrods but didn't see any. I highly doubt anyone in F1 is running pushrods though.

I did see rules mandating 4 valves per cyl (2 intake and 2 exhaust).

http://www.formula1.com/insight/rulesan ... 4/485.html

Also interesting to note is MMCs and other fnacy alloys are now outlawed.
God wrote:
befarrer wrote:
No pushrods. Valves are pneumatically controlled. That, along with fancy lightweight metals, and a short stroke allows for 19500rpms redlines. F1 engines share very little in common with street engines.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The 4 valve rule works with a round piston rule to keep things like Honda's oval piston 8 valve/cylinder engines out of play.

Don't ask me why they make rules that limit innovations in technology...
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

To make the playing field more even. Otherwise you would have the teams with more money have totally different engines, and the poorer teams falling way back. Also makes it a more competitive race for the teams and the drivers.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Nascar is about level field competitiveness.
F1 is about the best of everything.

If it took oval pistons and 8 valves per cylinder to be competitive, then all the engine MFG's would build engines like that and such would simply be the cost of admission to F1. That would make the engines a lot more exotic, too, IMNSHO.