A Stealth TT and a 300ZX TT

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

alltrbo

A Stealth TT and a 300ZX TT

Post by alltrbo »

Are two cars my friends just purchased within a week of each other. They're fun to drive, but oh-so much of a PITB to work on. I thought my turbo car was bad. HAH. I like their 3.0 tOrqzerz a lot compared to my 2.0.

The Stealth is a red (yuck) '93 and it's an RT/TT AWD 5-speed with 300hp (free boost mod makes it about 320 like the newer ones). It's a freakin pig @ ~3800 lbs, but it moves pretty decently. We blew past a BPU (haha) MKIII Supra at 130mph where it was topped out. I'm really hoping he calms the heck down or he's going to hurt someone and this one may soon end up like his old riced out 4-door Neon (totalled).
It has a "Sport" and "Tour" exhaust switch and a "Sport" and "Tour" suspension switch, as well as the pointless AWS and about 57 other things that add pointless weight. It still performs okay, though. :)

The 300ZX is a black '90 (first year of new body style) and it's a TT 5-speed with 300hp stock, but it has a few mods. Unfortunately this one is pretty beat down, though it runs okay now that we temporarily repatched the ghetto patched drivers side IC plastic endtank, it blew open a crack at the top on the way back from picking it up. Tracking down a boost leak in a car that has 6 miles of hoses and piping is not fun. We're probably going to do a custom FMIC install to fix it for good.
It needs some body work, paint, -non- black spray painted wheels, and mechanically un-ghetto'ing of ~16 years of various ricer ownership.
It weighs 'only' 3500, but moves out pretty good when it's hitting the stock ~8.5 psi. It also has switchable suspension and pointless AWS.

Hopefully before I'm out of here in 2 months we'll have some video of my 4-banger smoking both of them now that it RUNS again. :)
'88 Fiero GT - coming soon! - Project MIDTRBO
'90 Camaro IROC-Z twin-turbo - For Sale (maybe)
(And too many more!)
There's no replacement for turbo placement
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

A friend of mine has a Stealth RT. It is also a 3.0 TT, AWD, AWS. I actually liked it. For a 1991 the dash was really advanced and looked great. The power was strong, especially for how heavy it is. It comes on about 3000, and holds strong until 6000-6500. My complaints is that the transmission is terrible (5spd), and as you said the AWS is useless. It is also uncomfortable, as when you turn, the inside wheel(s) hop. Overall a pretty sweet car, but I'd take others first.
Fierocious

Post by Fierocious »

z32's have probably the worst engine ebay to work on
1988 Fiero GT
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Yeah, the Z32's are miracles of automotive packaging. They should be revered on the same level as McLaren F1's.
slow'n'steady

Post by slow'n'steady »

yeah, i can say off all the cars ive owned teh 4G63T was the most simple turbo car to work on! (1990 Talon TSI AWD)

even my single turbo 280ZX inline 6 turbo was harder than my talon!
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

Yeah, I now absolutely LOVE Z32's for what they are, but HATE them for how difficult it is to do anything in that engine bay. You can't even see the cute little turbos without moving 15 things or looking up there from underneath. It's definitely worthy of recognition, heh. I think the only other thing that sucks about his (for 1990 standards) is that it has iron heads.

My 2G Talon was a bit of a pain to work on when it was stock, but it's much easier now with all that factory crap out of the way. I'd still not do another tranny swap alone in the parking lot, though. I got on my car a bit (clutch/tranny halfway broken in now) and it's a whole lot faster than I remember it when it's this far out of tune. Faster than some V6TT's I've recently driven, too. Me likes. :D

My 226,000 mile stock Fiero is beyond laughable now compared to this trio of bOOsterz, in handling as well as all out power.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

alltrbo wrote:
My 226,000 mile stock Fiero is beyond laughable now compared to this trio of bOOsterz, in handling as well as all out power.
Buy my fiero and you can outrun all of the boosted cars. :thumbleft:
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

Your Fiero runs 11's?

I wish I could, but imaboutabe poor in 2 months. That's why my stock 226k mile Fiero is staying stock. Except for new suspension. And an engine swap. And a paint job. Otherwise, it's staying stock. :salute:
I thought you sold your Fiero?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I did sell it... but I got it back. The long story is in my for sale thread.

11s, no. But it will beat all 3 cars badly when they are stock. I imagine well into the 12s just like Wills car when it is tuned properly.

After I rebuilt my suspension with poly bushings, aluminum cradle bushings, new shocks and struts and lowering springs, its a completely different car. The 245s in the rear and 215s up front probibly help a ton as well, was running 215s all around before.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote: 11s, no. But it will beat all 3 cars badly when they are stock. I imagine well into the 12s just like Wills car when it is tuned properly.
All of this with a junkyard motor OMFG LOL...yah right ur motor will never be that fast cuz you got it out of a junkayrd LOL
mysticfire6602

Post by mysticfire6602 »

Aaron wrote:
crzyone wrote: 11s, no. But it will beat all 3 cars badly when they are stock. I imagine well into the 12s just like Wills car when it is tuned properly.
All of this with a junkyard motor OMFG LOL...yah right ur motor will never be that fast cuz you got it out of a junkayrd LOL
most ignorant post ev4r!!!1 :blah5:
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

mysticfire6602 wrote:
Aaron wrote:
most ignorant post ev4r!!!1 :blah5:
You underestimate Aaron's ability for ignorance.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'm the ignorant one, yet they fail to see the joke, which I find hard to believe noting their history in this forum.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Every junkyard motor was new at one point. The junkyard motors have already been to the junkyard, where the new ones are destined for the junkyard.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Aaron was refering to what MTA always says about my N*, even though it has never seen a junkyard.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

This is an EBS moment... It's not that we didn't get the joke... It's that it just wasn't *funny*.
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

*chuckle*

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled thread topic...

Oh, you didn't say stock. Fortunately not all of these three are stock. :thumbleft: Yeah that Fiero would lay a whoopin on two of these. :D

I actually have new poly cradle mounts, bushings, sway bar links, a fuel pump, and soon tires for the Fiero. I just haven't had time to put it all in yet. I did get new shocks on the front though, heh. I'm sure it'll be like a whole new car once I get it done, too. Probably not up to par with yours still (speaking in terms of suspension, 'cause we all know the stock engine isn't even worth mentioning), but I'm sure it'll be a lot better than it is now. The Talon will still own it even in teh twisties, though. :)

MY GOSH IT'S NICE TO HAVE SOME PASSING POWER AGAIN!

...just had to get that out.
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

I just read your crummy car selling story, crzyone. That sucks, good luck selling it again though if that's what you really want. I personally would not, but that's just me. :)
After an initial explaination I would have been simple and said "AS IS" means "AS IS", but I understand your want for the car to go to someone who isn't a moron and your lack of enthusiasm to escalate the situation further.