What engine for my stang..

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

JohnnyK

What engine for my stang..

Post by JohnnyK »

Been debating what to put in the 67 fastback.. I WAS originally going to go with a 390, because thats what it had, but, I'm just not digging it.. So then I was going to go to a 69 or so 351W carbed.. But then I really got thinking, and I could probably almost make hte same power for price if I just went with a 89+ (Is that when they used mass air?) 5.0 EFI, which ight be easier in the long wrong for tranny, as I was going to mate up a t5 (and i wouldn't need adapters and all that jazz).. Or taking a 351W and putting the 5.0 efi on it.. Or just finding a 351 EFI out of something, but I can't really think of anything readily available thats not a truck (of course I'd be doing minor stuff such as cam anyways).. What do you guys think and why? Thanks
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

fourpointnine
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

302 or 347 turbo

or a 289 turbo... keep it a little original

427 cammer
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

what are your intentions for the car?
JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK »

No, she most definately will not be getting a 4.9, or a 2.8, or an iron duke.. :D

Intentions are, a daily driver, within reasons. I'm going to try to avoid rain, due to my newfound horrible fear of rust, and I'm not going to plow it through the canadian salt slush.. That being said, I would like to boot it around to school and what not.. That also being said, I would like a fair amount of horsepower (I'm thinking 350 at the wheels should be good for that thing without twisting it to smithereens and still being somewhat fast) I'm shying away from carbs because I can't seem to think of any advance, except for ease of working on them, but that being said, I still feel more at home with EFI. I assume when you say 302 you mean 1968+ 302 with a carb, and not my 87-89+ with efi? ANother reason is, I actually think it might be cheaper for my to build an efi motor due to the amount of 5.0's around, except for that wiring harness, which I'm going to try to rig up myself.. Of course, this leads to an extra $200USD for an automatic fire extinguishing system.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

No, I meant EFI 302... or 5.0. I would never recommend a carb.

You could bolt in a stock EFI 5.0 and buy a turbo kit for it. There are bolt on kits that will give you the amount of power you are after. Being designed for the Fox, they may require some adapting to your fastback, but it shouldn't be to hard.

Almost everything bolts together and you don't even have to go into the engine (except maybe to change cams).
trigger

Post by trigger »

painless wiring makes wiring harnesses to put efi 302 engines in hot rods and such.
napalm sticks to kids
JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK »

5.0 and a T5 theoretically bolt right in with no mods, except maybe shortening the driveshaft and slightly opening up the hole in the tranny tunnel for the shifter.. Only the wiring is the problem.. Ya, you can get wiring harnesses for it, but man, are they ridiculously expensive.. I'll steal one of my electrical engineering buddies to get over here and help me.. He'll enjoy it.. :D Turbo kits eh.. Never even thought of them, because I think I could do it cheaper with pistons and cam, no? Except those damn pricey heads... What's the deal with the GT40P heads.. any good, or just cheap and slightly better?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Ford 5.0's and 4.6's are some of the sweetest sounding engines. Plenty of aftermarket as well. Good choice, will offer more reliability and fuel economy than a carbd engine.

But if you want to do up a period ford motor, get the 351W, lots of aftermarket, easy to get 400-450hp out of them.

For a daily driver the 5.0 gets my vote.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

JohnnyK wrote: Turbo kits eh.. Never even thought of them, because I think I could do it cheaper with pistons and cam, no?
350 rwhp from a 5.0 is getting to be a pretty radical engine. It would be fun to drive hard, but it wouldn't be so fun going to the grocery store. I suggested turbos because they can give you a lot of power while wtill remaining perfectly streetable for a daily driver app.
JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
JohnnyK wrote: Turbo kits eh.. Never even thought of them, because I think I could do it cheaper with pistons and cam, no?
350 rwhp from a 5.0 is getting to be a pretty radical engine. It would be fun to drive hard, but it wouldn't be so fun going to the grocery store. I suggested turbos because they can give you a lot of power while wtill remaining perfectly streetable for a daily driver app.
Yeah, I was thinkin getting 350rwhp is getting a little much for Project BS (Budget Stang), thats why I was contemplating 351w with EFI, but as stated, can't think of anything I can just yoink em out of, minus a truck engine, but I can't even think of any of those that I can find plentiful off the top of my head.. But turbo puts a big bite into the 'budget' too.. Of course I could find a rusty junkyard truck turbo.. ;)
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Car Craft took a stock shortblock , re ringed the pistons and slapped on some aftermarket heads and got 400 Crank HP ont he stock cam , but it was carb'd.

cheaper to get Carb HP , than it is FI HP.

go to www.carcraft.com and look up the build. I have been looking @ 5.0 perf for the RX-7. Apperently 96 to 02 Ford Explorers came with GT-40 heads from the factory. I have seen a few for sale in ontario complete for under $1000.
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.