How much power can a getrag handle?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

How much power can a getrag handle?

Post by crzyone »

I just watched the viper dyno that Shaun posted in other cars. I'm wondering what you guys think a Getrag can handle before it breaks. I'm not talking 1/4 mile, or hard launches. I'm thinking from a 40mph roll. Is there any way its going to last at all with say 600hp or so?

Someday I would love a turbo N*, but unless I stick with the caddy auto I don't know if any manual transmission would take it.

I've been in a 430rwhp 406 powered fiero and he took me for a ride. He flored it though 3 gears spinning the whole way and the trani survived, and he drives like this all the time. It pretty much proved to me how strong the 282 is, even under some pretty severe shock loads. He runs 260's in the rear so it is getting some pretty good traction.

All the best vids I see on the net are from a roll, unlike the general thinking on Old Europe. So what do you guys think?
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

from a roll is basicly HP bragging rights vs launching skill

both fairly valid

I like to think of a transmissions durabilty not in HP but or instantaneous torque loading / shock loads..

if you never slam gears and roll into the gas it would probably survive

if you are really worried about durabilty - the straight cut dogbox gearsets that they used in the fiero race cars are still available for the 4speed
[img]"An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein
"Most folks are educated beyond their intelligence" - Mark Twain
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Are the ratios different? With 600hp you would be at redline in 4th pretty quick on a 3.65 4 speed.

I am not overly concerned with shockload, a turbo engine has fairly low torque before the turbo would spool up.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

they can be different - if you are comparing ratios check out http://viscoustech.com/downloads/FieroTransmission.xls

the 3.65 and getrag are pretty much the same with slightly longer gears in the 3.65 except no 5th
[img]"An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein
"Most folks are educated beyond their intelligence" - Mark Twain
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I'm formulating a design for a transverse drag racing manual transmission... that seems to be the big hole in the transmission market right now. Quaifes are only rated for 400 ftlbs or so.

As far as 282's go, it probably could take 600 turbocharged HP, as long as you didn't make a habit of anti-lag launches.
I'm also developing external case reinforcements to guard against common failure modes.
A different 1-2 ratio set might also be in the works.

The biggest single thing people can do to prolong the lives of their 282's is OVERHAUL THEM. A worn out transmission just won't survive very long when you put 2-3 times its design load through it on a regular basis. Even V8Archie is starting to realize this.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

5 fa fallion foot pounds
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Indy

Post by Indy »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:5 fa fallion foot pounds
That's almost as much as a high-perf DSM tranny. Almost.

Will, any previews on the external case mods?

There needs to be a freaking Definitive 282 thread.
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

My transmission is being rebuilt right now, I read the post on Old Europe where you guys were discussing that. I'm installing a new motor, might as well install a new transmission. Piece of mind.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Oh yea Levi I dont' know why you want to do roll on races.

Everyone knows especially on FAGLAND that roll races are for ricers.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I know, I will never gain their respect with a 600hp N* fiero because I won't race a 4.9 light to light. =0(