Direct port is in

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Shaun41178(2)

Direct port is in

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I have it pretty much hooked up. Those plastic lines won't be that long when its done. basically just done for test fitting purposes. The solenoids need to be wired up, as well as the feed line hooked up but thats about it. I was working on changing over the factory intake to the dual tb and plumbing for about 3 hours today and figured to get it hooked up for the most part so I dont' have any vacuum leaks. And I dont' so its at least driveable if need be till I get the rest done.

http://www.shaun.saturnet.net/pics/Fier ... ar/DP1.JPG

Then just change the DP1 at the end to 2, 3, and 4 to see the rest of the pics.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Looks like something from Aliens made a nest in your engine bay.

Gonna run you some 12's now?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

yea I need to shorten all of those but its in and there are no vacuum leaks from them so I am happy. I have the rest of the weekend to get the rest of it up and running.

12's? Prob not. I wont' be pushing the engine hard enough for that.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Right on Shaun looks sweet. Just got my 2 Nozzles to finish my kit off too.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Come on, Shaun, you know you want that 125 shot...
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Nope. Wont' go that high. Prob stick with a 75 shot. Acording to the NOS instructions I have it jetted to a 100 shot right now. I need to get some more jets as all the other ones are just too big. I need smaller ones.

I dont' want to blow this engine. I have never blown an engine to nitrous and I dont' want to. They always say its when you get greedy is when you run into problems. I dont' even want to think that I should get greedy. keep it safe and it will hold up just fine.

I thought of going with a dual stage setup. first hit will be from 3k on up. And then have the dry shot kick in at 5k rpm to 6k rpm as I lose a smidge of power up top. A dual stage is easier on the engine as the higehr the rpm's go you start to lose cylinder pressure as there is less time for it to fill. So by going to a dual stage shot in the upper rpm's I can keep the cyl pressure up which in turn keeps the hp numbers up. I would like to see my dyno graph just climb all the way to 6k rpm if possible with no drop off. With this intake it only loses 5 hp or so total from peak at about 5200 to 6k rpm so if I can keep that 5 hp or try and get another 5-10 on top of the peak at 5200 but make it at 6k then I will be happy with that. A 75 initial hit would be nice and then a 25 hit to get me a 100 shot up top would be cool. Use the dry setup that I had before to accomplish this. I might do this someday.

I tidied up the engine bay today with the plumbing of the lines and all. Shortened them up and got the fuel pressure gauge installed and such. Only thing left to do now is wire the solenoids to the relay, and run the feed line to the nitrous solenoid and I will be ready to spray. I sure woudl liek to get soem dyno time in the next 2 weeks. But might not be possible. I work quite a bit.

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

some new pics.

I finished up the wiring today. The solenoids click open at WOT and all works.

Whats left to do?

Run the nitrous line from the bottle to the nitrous solenoid.
Fill the bottle.
Hit the dyno

So its pretty much done. to get it on the street all thats left is to hook up the nitrous feed line. A few minutes to do that. In 2 weeks I have a 3 day weekend so I might try and get it dynoed then to see what it can do. I tested the fuel today and I am happy I did because I had a fuel line pop loose. I didnt' have it tightened down enough and it sprayed off. Good thing I tested it. Could have been catastrophic if it blew off when running on the street.

Here is where I mounted my relay. I used to hide it so noone would see it but it was always hard to get to if I needed it. SO now I just said F it and mounted it down by teh battery. Fits nicely.

I also went and painted my bottle black to match my interior better.

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Looks sweet. :thumbleft:

Should we start guessing dyno numbers? ;)
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

if you want.

I plan to make about the same power as I did last time but it will prob put down more tq. I dont' want to push it too much.

I will paypal $1 to the person who guesses the closest.

my old numbers. Dynoed in 3rd gear. 5 degrees retarded, 92 octane.

donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

190hp / 205tq
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Went to the dyno on sat. couldnt' get on as they were too busy

So I am going to try and go back this upcoming sat. i think the 21st or something like that.

I installed a bulkhead connector to help clean up the installation a bit which I think makes it much nicer. Easier to disconnect and connect. Before I just had the line running through the hole I drilled.

I still have to run the line from the bulkhead now to the solenoid. I ran out of fittings to do this but I do have the braided line. Hopefully I will have time to pick some up this week to make it a nice clean install.

Didn't get any new pics.

bottle is barely noticeable in the passenger footwell now that it is black. the blue knob is noticeable so I will probably paint that black eventually to help hide it more. I can prob get some new pics of that eventually.

so if all goes well I should have new dyno numbers next weekend.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Well all is done with the nitrous kit. And well there is still more to do.

I got the feed line finalized today and bought some new fittings and installed them and the line. Came out clean and looks good. NO leaks so I am happy.

Tested the system in the driveway and had all 6 nitrous lines pop off the nozzles. No big deal. I just didnt' have the fittings tight enough to compress the ferrules inside enough. Tightened them up another 1/2 turn and no more blow offs.

So I said lets test this bitch out.

I had the car running already when testing the lines so I ran it another 5 minutes and then put the shifter into first and rolled out of the driveway. I wanted to make sure the oil was good and hot and that thermal temps in the CC were stabile before jumping on this thing so I cruised up the local bridge here going in a little circle back to the house.

So on the way back I had about 300 feet till the van in front of me so I thought I would try it then. I gave it a nice stab at 3100 in 2nd gear and HOLY SHIT! This thing hits HARD and it hits RIGHT NOW!! I only stayed in it for a second as I wanted to make sure no lines blew off so I pulled back into the driveway and checked it out. All looked good so I went for another drive.

Rolled out of the driveway. NO cars ahead, in first gear at 3k rpm and I layed into it for about a second and let off. I heard a pop right before I let off so I rolled into the gas station right around the corner from my house

I was thinking ok probably just a line poped off or something.

NOPE Carnage was its name and it was all about taking the lives of the nitrous kit.

2 of the plastic lines that NOS provides for the kit just exploded. @ of the nitrous lines thank god, not the fuel lines. Not at the fittings but at like 3-4 inches away from the fittings. I am guessing the pressure was too high or something. and it just snapped the line. Now I think that this is total crap because NOS rates this line to handle the pressures that the nitrous in the line will generate. My bottle pressure gauge read 950 so it wasnt' super high. In fact it was right where it is supposed to be. The lines were not kinked in these areas eitehr or suffering from sharp bends. So needless to say I think that this will be a ongoing problem with these lines.

I am going to email Holley and see what they haev to say.

Because not only do I have to replace the lines, I have to replace the compression fittings as well. = more money. Which is crap. Holley better do something for me because I am not about to keep going through this everytime I hit the bottle.

Here are some pics. Sorry if they are blurry but you can prob still see where the line exploded.

Also here is a video I made. I didnt' edit it down or anything. Its not that big unless you are on dialup. 18 megs.

Right click save as.

http://www.shaun.saturnet.net/pics/Vide ... 0video.MOV
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

focus could be your friend.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

auto focus nigga.

works great.

Low light situations and my camera has no idea whats going on. One of the probs with digi's
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

YOU BLEW UP A NAAWWWZZZ LINE AND DIDN'T GRENADE YOUR ENGINE!?!!>?!>!M!>?!>!!!! HOLY SHAZIZZLE!
Naaawwwwzzz is dangerous you know! My cousin's boyfriend's sister's mullet wearing taxidermist blew up his junk yard 350 with Naaawwwwzzzz, so anybody who uses it is like 2.3 seconds from destroying their engines all the time even when the Naaaawwwwwzzzz is off! Be more careful, j0!

Brighter light lessens the severity of focusing errors.
My camera is the same way... it needs a lot of light to autofocus close.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Ok so I took 8 new pics today of the broken lines. None turned out. My camera would only focus on the background even if I held the camera like 2 feet away from what I was wanting to take. POS

anyways I played around with it more today

Got the lines fixed, went for a drive.

After the second quick burst of me getting on it I pulled over and another line had broke. This one actually broke in two spots. LIKE WTF you know?

SO I replaced that one again and went for anohter drive. Got on it twice in second gear for about 1 second each time and they lines held up so I am thinking they might be good now. hopefully that is.

Dyno appt this sat and I will be taking more line and fittings in case they break so I can try and actually get some runs in.

I have the fuel jetted for a 100 shot but I have the nitrous only at about a 50 shot. SO needless to say this puppy runs rich. Down low it feels good but up top its just missing and popping like crazy. I am thinking it is richer then the 9:1 on my old dry setup before I got that tuned Who knows. Either way its rich as hell and hopefully the dyno can get it tuned up right.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

That sucks about the lines. Don't waste your time with email. Get some mofo with NOS on the phone and straighten that crap out. Perform steel toed recalibration if necessary.

Try putting a LOT of light on the line (that means take the car outside in bright and direct sunlight) while putting something non-descript (and thus hard to focus on) behind it... carboard, blanket, something... This should help the camera pick out the line as opposed to what's behind it.

Or you might just have a shite camera that can't do it.
txf

Post by txf »

Bottle's backwards. When the bottle starts getting low you'll starve it of Liquid.
Doug Chase

Post by Doug Chase »

Any time you're trying to take a photo at a distance closer than a couple feet you'll need to put the camera in Macro mode. If it has a setting with a picture of a little flower, that's the setting you want.

Also, if the camera is having a hard time picking out the line because it's too small, try this:

Hold the camera in one hand and put your other hand on the line. Aim the camera at your hand and press the button half way down. This will focus the camera. While still holding the button halfway down, remove your hand. The camera will stay focused at that distance. Now press the button the rest of the way down and take the picture of the line.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

new numbers details later

link to the full size.

http://www.shaun.saturnet.net/pics/Dyno ... 0large.JPG