In one week (5-11-05) my car hits the Dyno.

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Since I ran 12.8 on 255 RWHP... I think he's between 200 and 220 at the wheels. The Peice of shit doesn't do as well as the Northstar with the 282 because it runs out of RPM so soon.
I think he had that car dyno'd at some point in time.
The fiero needs less power than I thought to go that fast in the 1/4. 255rwhp to go 12.8 is damn impressive!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Hooks well, pulls like crazy and has enough RPM to make the lower gears worth a dam.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

yea I had about 170 or so with my old 85 GT. Dont' remember what it dynoed and I gave away my graphs when I sold my old nitrous kit.

But with the auto it did a best of 14.1 it was a good et but a horrible mph at only 91. Basically the car was all launch.

But it goes to show that with a good launch and a decent amount of low end grunt quick e'ts are possible.

not sure what this Formula will do e.t wise but it is trapping around 100-ish or so as it sits. I think thats roughly a mid 13's with a good launch(sub 2.0) All speculation though.
GmetalGT

Post by GmetalGT »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:yea I had about 170 or so with my old 85 GT. Dont' remember what it dynoed and I gave away my graphs when I sold my old nitrous kit.

But with the auto it did a best of 14.1 it was a good et but a horrible mph at only 91. Basically the car was all launch.

But it goes to show that with a good launch and a decent amount of low end grunt quick e'ts are possible.

not sure what this Formula will do e.t wise but it is trapping around 100-ish or so as it sits. I think thats roughly a mid 13's with a good launch(sub 2.0) All speculation though.
Are we talking a 100 shot?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Shaun41178(2) wrote:not sure what this Formula will do e.t wise but it is trapping around 100-ish or so as it sits. I think thats roughly a mid 13's with a good launch(sub 2.0) All speculation though.
I ran 13.2 at 102 with unplugged IAT sensor my first time at the strip.

Besides... trap speed isn't that important. I was ahead of a Mk IV Supra that was running mid/high 13's and trapping 106 or 108ish...

That's also where a 4point9 gets most of its QM prowess... the ability (with automatic transmission) to cut 1.7x short times on street tires. This stems from lots of low RPM torque with relatively tall gearing.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

70 shot. Wont' push a 100 shot.

Will I have never seen a 4.9 hit a 1.7 60 ft time unless you are talking about the turbo one.

In fact I have yet to see a auto 4.9 get sub 2 sec 60 foot time evn with slicks.

And mph I think is very important.

Will that Mk4 you raced was probably stock. Thats what stock ones do. A solid BPU will do high teens.

ET. is important if racing from a dig.

MPH is important if racing from a roll.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I read more Fagland than you...
and the Fiero Racing List, where the originators of the 4.9 swap hung out.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

ok well everyone on Fagland that has posted slips are cutting 2.1's or 2.2's. Maybe several 2 flats. thats where I am getting my info from. Even Linenoise was doing 2.1's

But 1.7's on an auto?

Like I said only one I know of that did that was the turbo one.
JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK »

Whats up with the carb? Why not stick to EFI? Price?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Shaun41178(2) wrote:ok well everyone on Fagland that has posted slips are cutting 2.1's or 2.2's. Maybe several 2 flats. thats where I am getting my info from. Even Linenoise was doing 2.1's

But 1.7's on an auto?

Like I said only one I know of that did that was the turbo one.
I believe that possibly George Ryan and certainly Greg Duncan (Team Python) have cut 1.7's. Jon Lagler (Rockcrawl) may have done one that could do it as well.
The potential is certainly there: gratuitous low RPM torque and automatic transmission with a sufficiently tall 1st gear to clear the 60' marker without a shift.
FYI, Team Python are the guys who originated the 4point9 swap... although GM did some packaging studies with the 4point5 while the Fiero was still in production (thus saith Allen Cline).
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

SO possibly 3 out of the countless many might have run 1.8's and 1.7's?

GEorge Ryan I think has run it down the track once or twice but his is mainly a roadcourse car and its not stock. Its gutted from what i know too. Jon would know since he is on the racing list.

Rockcrawl not stock and uses a manual tranny.

Team Python totally hopped up 4.9 in a racecar setup. Not sure of tranny and don't feel like doing the research to find out either.

What do all three of those have in common? Not stock motors, nor stock auto trannies, nor stock weight. So is 1.8's possible with those cars? Well yea.

Stock 4.9 with the auto? No way. Its a 15 second car. 3 people MIGHT have and I stress that strongly because there arent' any slips posted yet, that might have run that 60' time. Everyone else on Fagland with a 4.9 is not even close.

but I won't argue. the potential is there but the people that do those swaps for the most part throw them in because they are cheap and then brag about the V8 sound and how they like to cruise in it and then get beat by civics.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Jon's done more swaps with autos then manuals. And witht he exception of the one 4.9 hop up, the rest of the motors were stock.

Maybe I'll try to get him to comment with specifics, but I doubt he'll care to.
Shaun41178(2) wrote: Rockcrawl not stock and uses a manual tranny.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Shaun41178(2) wrote:SO possibly 3 out of the countless many might have run 1.8's and 1.7's?

GEorge Ryan I think has run it down the track once or twice but his is mainly a roadcourse car and its not stock. Its gutted from what i know too. Jon would know since he is on the racing list.

Rockcrawl not stock and uses a manual tranny.

Team Python totally hopped up Peice of shit in a racecar setup. Not sure of tranny and don't feel like doing the research to find out either.

What do all three of those have in common? Not stock motors, nor stock auto trannies, nor stock weight. So is 1.8's possible with those cars? Well yea.
Most of those cars DO have stock engines. Team Python used a built TH-125 and their only engine mod was an Allante intake.
Lagler's built several 4.9's, most with autos as Howard said.
I agree that most of the swaps on Pfiffle are slow and done cheaply... that doesn't mean that it's utterly incapable of performance... just that, like anything else, going fast is in the setup.
GmetalGT

Post by GmetalGT »

Well, MTA used Dimes and JB weld to plug the Fuel injector holes and it keeps blowing them out. Right now, after work I need to replug two. I will be so pissed off if it blows one out on the Dyno, and I wast a trip and money. I think it is blowing them out because of the timing being off. Anyway, I want to do it right by drilling them out and tapping them, but I will have to do that with the intake off because I dont want metal shavings in the engine. Why he didnt use plugs when the intake was off, I dont know. I didnt know they where dimes untill they blew out and it was too late. So here I am left again, to fix someing else.
Doug Chase

Post by Doug Chase »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:George Ryan I think has run it down the track once or twice but his is mainly a roadcourse car and its not stock. Its gutted from what i know too. Jon would know since he is on the racing list.
George's car is a street car, full interior, etc.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

GmetalGT wrote:Well, MTA used Dimes and JB weld to plug the Fuel injector holes and it keeps blowing them out. Right now, after work I need to replug two. I will be so pissed off if it blows one out on the Dyno, and I wast a trip and money. I think it is blowing them out because of the timing being off. Anyway, I want to do it right by drilling them out and tapping them, but I will have to do that with the intake off because I dont want metal shavings in the engine. Why he didnt use plugs when the intake was off, I dont know. I didnt know they where dimes untill they blew out and it was too late. So here I am left again, to fix someing else.

Is this guy for real? I asked on that 3.4 vs 4.9 thread for him to post a timeslip and he disappeared. I'm starting to think his ultimate 4.9 stuff is BS.

He might as well use hot glue to keep the dimes in place....

:knob:
Doug Chase

Post by Doug Chase »

GmetalGT wrote:Well, MTA used Dimes and JB weld to plug the Fuel injector holes and it keeps blowing them out.
Are you serious?

Pictures?
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

JBing dimes into injector bungs is unacceptable.

That is ALL I need to know to make my judgement about him.
crzyone wrote: Is this guy for real? I asked on that 3.4 vs Peice of shit thread for him to post a timeslip and he disappeared. I'm starting to think his ultimate Peice of shit stuff is BS.

He might as well use hot glue to keep the dimes in place....

:knob:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

BWAHAHAHAHAH

DIMES?

OMG A new Level of Fiero cheapness!!!!

What a hack!!!!!!!!!

He makes PBJ look good.

So are you still on for the dyno tomrrow(wed)?
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Cutting corners to save money is one thing.

I can't see Pete giving a customer something so very unsafe like that is.
Shaun41178(2) wrote: He makes PBJ look good.