Looking to throw nitrous on my 3.4tdc, whats a safe amount?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Looking to throw nitrous on my 3.4tdc, whats a safe amount?

Post by crzyone »

Going to get a NX kit soon and was wondering what a safe wet shot would be for my engine? I would like to run a 100 shot, what do you guys think?

I'm also running the stock fiero fuel pump. It feels fine with the motor in its stock form, will it be enough to supply fuel for the wet shot as well?

I plan on using a single fogger in the intake tube after the tb, would love to have a multiport nitrous set up but they are quite a bit more expensive. Is there much or any benefit to having the multiple injectors?

Thanks for any help

PS. Got to drive the 3.4 for the first time yesterday, hard. I think everyone should own one of these engines, AWESOME!
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

You say that you just got the car up and running? How many miles are on the engine? Did you do a rebuild or any sort of engine work before you put it in the Fiero?

I would suggest breaking the car/engine in before putting nitrous on it.

And I would suggest starting with a 50-shot and work your way up. And I personally would drop the stock Fiero pump. You can pick up a corvette pump for roughly the same price, or splurge for the Walbro 255lph. No reason to starve your modded Fiero with a stock pump, although the stock pump might be able to support it.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
admin
Admin is not Howard

Post by admin »

NX huh? I can only assume its a wet kit.

NX makes good stuff.

I would start out with a 50 shot and run that for a bit. See how the plugs look, and go from there. If all is well then step up to a 75 and see how it acts with that.

If you want to go to a 100 shot I would really recommend getting a ignition or something to retard the timing a few degrees. With the DIS you have its not like you can turn a dizzy to crank back the timing a few degress. So what you will prob need to buy is a ignition box with an adj knob and wire it to your computer and then to your nitrous solenoids. When the noids kick on it will retard your timing to the preset amount.

I think a Jacobs Mastermind can do this too.

If you keep it at 75 shot or below you wont' have to play with the timing at all.

Just run premium and you should be fine.

Direct port is ultimately better. Its more expensive though. It depends. Do you want to have a plain jane nitruos kit? Or do you want to have a kickass nitrous kit? Money mang.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Thanks for that. 75 seems like plenty, do you have to run premium gas when you use nitrous? I will run plugs that are 2 steps colder as well.

I like the NX kit because you don't have to run a throttle switch, its controlled by your TPS wired into the NX control modual. Seems like a much nicer way of doing it. One wire instead of bolting things on.
admin
Admin is not Howard

Post by admin »

you must run premium

You can use stock plugs as well.
Fred Savage
LT1 boy

Post by Fred Savage »

Yeah you deffinelty need premium, and I would recomend new plugs, but 1 step colder is plenty. And a 100 shot will be fine, but get a bigger fuel pump. Mine is used by modified GN's :D It keeps the fuel there. And be ready to see your fuel go DOWN!! Its actually a very funny thing to see. You can watch the fuel gauge go down from 3/4-1/4 almost instantly.

P.S.NX is what I use and its awsome.
Gods motor is in my Fiero.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

My motor is from a 94 GTP with an auto so it should have about 9.1-1 compression, fairly low. I believe its rated for 200hp stock vs 210 for the manual cars with 9.3-1 and 215hp for the 96-97 auto's.

With the lower compression I imagine detonation isn't as big of an issue. What is the purpose of running colder plugs? Is the electrode on the plug its self colder so its less likely to light off and predetonate? Or does it have to do with the heat of the spark?

I think I will pick up a GN or corvette fuel pump, whichever one ends up being cheaper.

Thanks!
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Im running a camaro part number pump...something about 255Lph or Gph....i dunno which but its a direct upgrade and bolt on.

God im helpfull.