Renesis rotary engine + Fiero

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

greengoblin0129

Post by greengoblin0129 »

Aaron wrote:
Dirty Sanchez wrote:Why would you want a rotary engine in the first place? They need to have the hell revved out of them to make any torque.
Not quite true, the 2nd gen RX7s (Whatever gen, the newest, rounded ones), only redlined at 8 or 9k, and power came on REALLY strong after 4,000rpm.
Rotary's don't have have a redline, you can put a brick on the gas pedal for a half hour and the RPM's will keep raising. If you think about it a piston can only go up and down so fast, with the "tringle spinning thing" it just spins in a circle. Only thing bad with rotaries is that they are pretty much a time bomb. I've seen some get over 200K on them, and some with 2K when the engine blows. Guess if you know how to maintain them well you might not have the problem.

"Why do people with Fieros think that they must be different and swap a motor thats never been done before?"
That just doesn't apply to people with Fieros. When I go to a Fiero Show I get tired of seeing the same old shit over and over. I like to see somthing different once in awhile.
Last edited by greengoblin0129 on Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

That's why the tach had a redline at 9k I think it was, and it cut fuel at around the same point :scratch:

The redline isn't determined in this case by danger to the engine components, moreso because the engine won't make power past this point (The turbochargers aren't sized for that much airflow).
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

A rotary can rip the teeth off the end gears if you rev it too high. At some point, EVERYTHING comes apart if you spin it too fast. Why do you think turbine engines that turn 40,000 RPM have governors?
greengoblin0129

Post by greengoblin0129 »

Aaron wrote:That's why the tach had a redline at 9k I think it was, and it cut fuel at around the same point :scratch:

The redline isn't determined in this case by danger to the engine components, moreso because the engine won't make power past this point (The turbochargers aren't sized for that much airflow).
Basic tuning will solve the fuel cut-off problem :D Theres a couple videos on the internet of stock 20B's climing to 15K. Saw one where the guy holds the gas in for a couple mins till it blows lol. Rotary's don't have nearly as many moving parts then a pushrod so thats another reason they are able to go into such high RPM's. I wasn't talking about making power at high rpm's, just that they can make high rpm's. Don't know how turbo's came into this...
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

The RX7's that I drove and am talking about were turbocharged, that's where turbochargers come into this. And since the entire power curve of a turbo motor can be redefined by a turbocharger, it plays big into how and where power is made, and where the redline is at. If the motor could safely (Not safe int he eyes of owners, safe in the eyes of Mazda who has to warranty it), turn higher than 9k, and still make power, don't you think they would've raised it? Fact is, after 8,000rpm, the turbochargers are no longer capable of efficiently flowing the CFM needed to productively continue the RPM climb.

With differently sized turbochargers, one can make an S2000 feel like a TPI small block, or a Formula One 20,000rpm motor.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.