Battery cutoff switch

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Battery cutoff switch

Post by Series8217 »

The NHRA rule book says that cars with relocated batteries must have a battery cut off switch at the REAR of the vehicle.
Those of you who are drag racing with front mounted batteries, what are you doing to pass tech? How is your switch set up?
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

I've never been hassled about my battery. They just make sure its securely fastened down and they're happy. Maybe I'm not fast enough yet?
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

doesn't that only apply to cars with the battery being relocated to the back IE the rear battery disconnect?

or is it that you need a disconnect at the engine and at the battery?

I've seen guys mount a battery disconnect switch in the bodywork next to the gas cap

Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

not sure anyone has a fast enough Fiero to worry about NHRA rules. heck, most of arent even fast enough to require a helmet....

but, I am sure the Summit catalog has plenty of choices for cut-off switches
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

The guys at the track in Colorado used to give me a lot of shit for my Lumina's battery being in the back. It was secured well, but didn't have a cut-off switch. Every time they'd say "Well it's ok for tonight, but you need to get that fixed."

Our inspectors worked like this. If it looked stock, they left you alone. When they were inspecting my DOHC Fiero, he said "So she's pretty much stock, but at least ya got the V6." I said "Yah pretty much..."
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'll just put it behind one of the sail panels and remove that panel while running at the track. I won't put it elsewhere unless they complain that its not far enough back.
Pyrthian wrote:not sure anyone has a fast enough Fiero to worry about NHRA rules. heck, most of arent even fast enough to require a helmet....
The battery relocation rule applies to all cars per NHRA rules..
Aaron wrote:The guys at the track in Colorado used to give me a lot of shit for my Lumina's battery being in the back. It was secured well, but didn't have a cut-off switch. Every time they'd say "Well it's ok for tonight, but you need to get that fixed."

Our inspectors worked like this. If it looked stock, they left you alone. When they were inspecting my DOHC Fiero, he said "So she's pretty much stock, but at least ya got the V6." I said "Yah pretty much..."
Did they notice the battery was relocated on the Lumina or did you tell them?
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

They noticed on the Lumina. But it was pretty obvious (I think it would be in a Fiero as well).
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Well, I'm going tomorrow without the switch. We'll see what happens.
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

Series8217 wrote:Well, I'm going tomorrow without the switch. We'll see what happens.

How did it go?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Track closed due to rain.
product1620

Post by product1620 »

Series8217 wrote:Track closed due to rain.
It rains in cali???
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.