Did some Autocrossing...

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

befarrer

Post by befarrer »

scrabblegod wrote:With the cradle swap, you should be in EMod. Welcome to my world. It is a tough class, but that just makes it better when you do well. The nice thing is that once you are in the mod classes, most anything goes.

The thing is, nobody cares what class you are in till you start beating them.

Gene
Do you have any pics of your decklid. The spoiler is from a Dodge Shadow, I have one too. But I see you left part of your luggage rack on?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Series8217 wrote:Now I see why hardly anyone races Fieros..
Everyone else gets dropped in EM if they change suspension pickup points or cut chassis metal. It's just that the car's against which Fieros typically compete have decent suspensions to beging with.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

You don't tell anyone after you start winning either.
The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Series8217 wrote:So my car would be in SM2 until I raise the inner rear link pivots, and then its Emod?
Correct.

You don't have to TELL anyone about that mod until you start winning, though. :scratch: :thumbleft:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Magicians never reveal their secrets.

Unless they get protested.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:It's just that the car's against which Fieros typically compete have decent suspensions to beging with.
:cussing:
Dough19

Post by Dough19 »

Well I have been running in SM2 with the cradle swap even though I know it is illegal. As long as I only compete locally, noone will really bother me. If they do, then I'll go into EM. I only have a pushrod 3.4L v6, not a 3800sc or LS2.

Cars in SM2 that I have raced against. Not that many since my region is pretty small. I usually get bumped in with the SM class.

C4 vette with cam, headers, etc.
2 different 1970? 914 flat 6 Porsches with a turbo and maybe other mods
Nemesis
ass

Post by Nemesis »

SM2 is a class where you can run pretty much anything with any mod as long as it's street legal and has 2 seats.

The L67 engine swap is legal, ust tell them it came from a GTP (maybe it did, I dunno).

Turbo/supercharger additions are fine in this class. SM2 is the class I went to after I turbocharged my L44.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

GM is the manufacturer, so it doesn't matter if the engine was used in a Pontiac or not. Northstar and 4.9 powered cars should go into SM2. If anyone tries to give you shit for not having a Pontiac engine, go find somebody in SM with a B18 powered Civic and tell the inspector that they shouldn't be in SM because they have an Acura engine in their Honda.
Mlevair

sm2

Post by Mlevair »

I ran a 84 with a 4.3 chevy in sm2 and a few complained but it was legal and I did really well.
Michael LeVeque
84 2.5 250hp autocross fiero
86Se 6 fiero
66Yenko Stinger
66 corvair autocrosser
FormulaPilot

Re: Did some Autocrossing...

Post by FormulaPilot »

Jinxmutt wrote:Went to the 24hr event at Continental Tire here in Charlotte. It was a good opportunity since its the first time I've done any autox in this car. I didn't prep the car at all, just took it as its daily driver condition and had some fun. I didn't do all that great, but I learned a lot, met a bunch of people and had a good time..
IMO, you did it right. Whenever I auto-x anymore, I just drive in and run it. Sure, you can improve your lap times with exotic alignment and suspension settings, and sticky tires, but then it wouldn't drive anything like it would in street trim. You learned something you could use on the street. I used to be in it for the results, but that took a lot of the fun out of it. Now, whenever I do it, it's just for fun.