In one week (5-11-05) my car hits the Dyno.

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

So whats the deal blue steele?

results?
GmetalGT

Post by GmetalGT »

Well everyone, I didnt take the car do too the dimes blowing. It just is'nt worth it to have something go wrong and waste $150 per hour. Plus if one blows, the car wont start. Not worth it.

What I did is buy some very small freeze plugs at about $ .50 a peice from napa. I tried to blast them in , but the holes are tapered and will need to be drilled. a bit. I also bought some plugs that I can tap and put in, But I will decide wich to do and wich I feel safest with.

I do have one of the dimes with JB on it that I take pics of and can post tomorrow. The other I couldnt find. I also got a timing light. So it looks like I will need to push this Dyno back a week.

Pics tomorrow.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Cool.

Hey these things happen sometimes. You try to plan for things and it just doesnt' work out.

I remember one time I was going to the dyno. Filled up with 94 octane and headed out. Car ran great all the way there. STrap her down, do a pull, and I am misfiring like crazy. Try again and same thing. Ends up that the gas I put in had some water in it. So after all that time and money it was wasted because of a bad tank of gas. Totally ruined my day and unforseeable.

I find it absurd what MTA did. Def get pics and post them here and on Fagland too. Expose that guy for what he did.

I dont' care how strong of a reputation he has over there or how many butt kissers he has. once this info is out he will be ruined. And Rightfully so.

Man I always had this vibe about him that wasn't right. This just proves that my feelings were correct.
PervertedHamster

Post by PervertedHamster »

man what a freakin hack! Does anyone know this guy? I saw his 1/4 mile time near the top of the quarter mile list on Old Europe. Makes me question if his time is for real. Has anyone ever "seen" his car?
SC3800 pwrd GT
Best ET-12.30@110mph
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I dont' think he has ever posted a slip of his low ET. EVER!!!

he has pics of everything else though.

If he thinks he did an awesome job on Chris' car and lied to all of Fagland about it, who knows what else he lied about IE timeslip.

I CAN"T STAND FAGLAND!!!!!
GmetalGT

Post by GmetalGT »

Pictures

I find it funny how MTA wants to talk smack here, http://groups.msn.com/AkimotosV8FieroCl ... 8741585857 Only after deleating my user account. BUT, will only make one reply on P F F. :thumbleft:
GmetalGT

Post by GmetalGT »

JUst got through working on my car. Got a timing light and timed it at 11*, at wich it was reving, running, and sounding great. I then noticed it was running a little hot. Tuned it off and found that the belt had come fell off due to the wrong size pulley. The battery went dead as well.

Tomorrow I will need to locate the correct pulley and then I should be ready to drive her.

When I had it timed at 11* there was no more poping or bogging. It seemed perfect.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

looks likeyou are pretty much doing the swap yourself

Nice work getting it going. hopefully there are no more probs.

:thumbleft:
GmetalGT

Post by GmetalGT »

Seems like it. I'm pretty sure once I replace the pulley with the correct one and keep the belt on the car, I will have no more problems. Thats the second time the belt came off. But man, that serp belt is about 1000% better than the 2.8 belt system.
CAN3800SC
cant get enough of this site!

Post by CAN3800SC »

eHoward wrote:Cutting corners to save money is one thing.

I can't see Pete giving a customer something so very unsafe like that is.
Shaun41178(2) wrote: He makes PBJ look good.
I hope not, he has my car and my dad's right now!
rockcrawl
The Best

shit's getting too deep.

Post by rockcrawl »

I've only ever put two 4.9s on a dyno. Both were stock engines with high milage (over 100k mi.) The first one put down 162/227 at the wheels through a 4T60E with a completely stock chip. The other was 165/222 through a 4T60 with a 730 ECM and moderate tuning. I may have those numbers swapped up, but the two cars were so close that it really doesn't matter and any differences could easily come from the exhaust systems.

All of my stock 4.9s did 1.9 60ft, with 1/4 times from a best of 13.8 to 14.5 on a bad day. Again, stock engines and automatics with lots of miles on them, and crappy street tires. I don't know what the f*ck these other guys are doing to run 15s.

GM must have had their shit together when setting up the 4.9 powertrain, if you change the gear ratios or shift points it just makes the car slower. If you change the gear ratios AND don't give it the right shift points, it's really messed up. A 3.73 FDR makes the car feel scary fast, but it's slower than stock. Maybe that's where a lot of guys go wrong.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

ok this is the third time I have typed up this response as my computer keeps auto rebooting.

Anyways Rockcrawl welcome aboard. I hope you decide to stick around. I think you can contribute a lot of good info here.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Kohburn
FierHo

Re: shit's getting too deep.

Post by Kohburn »

rockcrawl wrote:if you change the gear ratios or shift points it just makes the car slower. If you change the gear ratios AND don't give it the right shift points, it's really messed up. A 3.73 FDR makes the car feel scary fast, but it's slower than stock. Maybe that's where a lot of guys go wrong.
I've tried to tell guys this time and time again - just because it feels quick doesn't make it fast.. they never believe me

proper gearing is essential for every different engine
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

There's a video around someplace of me racing a 5.slow... He had gears, but was still on the stock cam. Prolly slowed the car down. Left him like he was standing still anyway.
PervertedHamster

Post by PervertedHamster »

You have to remember, these guys are going from a 2.8 or even worse a 2.5 to the 4.9 and they think their 15 second car is fast as hell. But remember, 5.slows were also only 15 second cars too. Then these 4.9 cars go out and race a 5.slow and beat it by a car length and they think they havethe fastest conversion on the forum. A tuned (ROCKCRAWL) 4.9 is damn impressive and they sound (Wiccantoys) sweeet. But the guys on Fagland that try to ram the conversion down your throat and speak how its the BEST make me want to puke and shit at the same time!

OH< on another note. I did some changes to my SC3800, swapped out the rockers for a cam and intercooler, and a smaller pulley and drove it. Didn't feel ANY faster then before, maybe even slower. Took it to the track and It was .5 seconds and 6 mph faster then before! Seat of the pants doesn't tell you shit!
SC3800 pwrd GT
Best ET-12.30@110mph
loudias

Post by loudias »

I've never been impressed with the 4,9's performance. My 3,4 was in it's neighborhood powerwise (149.8 rwhp on a 100K+ block and flat a/f ratio of 12.8:1). My next one should beat the top NA 4,9. Yes it will be heavily modded...but isn't going to a 4,9 a heavy mod?

My opinion is that a 3,4 provides plenty of bottom end torque and any more is really just asking for trouble (broken parts and illegal operation tickets). All it lacks is the top end and I intend to fix that. By top end, I mean 4500-5500... I like a street car not a racing machine.

One year and three months...I will drive again.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

PervertedHamster wrote:You have to remember, these guys are going from a Boat Anchor or even worse a 2.5 to the Peice of shit and they think their 15 second car is fast as hell.

Seat of the pants doesn't tell you shit!
Couldnt' say it better myself. Most have dukes and end up going from one tractor motor to the next. Only difference is more tq but about the same usable powerband. I mean hell I love it when my car stops pulling at 3500 rpm!

Yes finally. Someone else is saying what I have been preaching for years to those guys. Seat of the pants is crap. Finally happy to see someone else saying it. I love it when people on Fagland claim they can feel a 4 hp difference in their car. NO YOU CAN"T. Its like claiming you can feel the difference between a 16.2 run and a 16.3 run. No one is that sensitive.

I mean like P hamster said. he couldnt' even feel a .5 difference and he even said it felt slower when it wasn't

Whoever says they can feel a less then 10 hp difference is full of crap.