84-86 Headlight motors

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

SGT.ROCK

84-86 Headlight motors

Post by SGT.ROCK »

Ive been taking my time rebuilding my headlight motors.I bought two kits from Dickmans and started on the passenger side light.I have the motor rebuild and the case put back together and I was going to test the motor before I mounted it back to the headlight assembly.I first hooked the relay wires up and then hooked up the single blue wire,well the motor started running which is a good thing but now i am wondering what makes the motor stop running? I had to unhook the blue wire to get the motor to stop and I didnt have my headlight switch on when I hooked everything up the first time.Wondering why it came on by itself,and which way should the shaft be turning so I know I dont have the motor turning the wrong way? Thanks for your help. :scratch: Sorry but I just replaced the worn out plastic sprocket and bumpers, I didnt actually rebuild the motor......
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

The motor has built in limit switches IIRC, it should stop running once it encounters resistance, which on the car would be the stops for the headlight buckets.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

On '84-'86 cars, the motor has internal limit switches that shut it off when it hits a stock firmly enough for the end thrust from the worm gear to move the motor armature back.

The '87-'88 cars have no limit switches. The motor controller is a solid-state device that senses how much current each motor is pulling and cuts it off when the motor stalls and starts to draw a lot of current.
SGT.ROCK

Post by SGT.ROCK »

Thanks for your responces.Ill hook it all up and see what happens.
SGT.ROCK

Should have guessed it!

Post by SGT.ROCK »

I went and installed the motor to the light assembly and installed it in my car.I plugged in the wires to the relay and the blue power wire or whatever you call it.I switched on the lights and the one i worked on came up perfectly,nice and smooth.(The driver side is next to be fixed but it comes up if you tap the knob) Well with both lights up I noticed the knob on the one I fixed twitched a little.So I closed it and it didnt twitch a bit.I even laid a little screwdriver on the knob and left it there for a while to see if I came back if it was still on there,and it was.But I felt the top of the knob and it was a little warm for some reason.You guys have any ideas on what the problem is? I unplugged the blue wire with the lights down and the switch of then I went and turned the lights on and the one I unplugged came up :scratch: but when I turned the switch off it did stay up though.Any help would be awesome!
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

the blue wire is what makes them go back down. With that disconnected, they will only go up.