Bumpy Ride/Vibration

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

cactus bastard

Post by cactus bastard »

Oh, you have an 88? Sorry, I hadn't noticed that.
Why would you eat bad ice cream?
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

cactus bastard wrote:Oh, you have an 88? Sorry, I hadn't noticed that.
It's my fault, I hadn't mentioned it. Is there an easy solution, or is this gonna set my pants on fire?
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.
Henry Gibson - Kentucky Fried Movie.

http://www.lordshadowstar.com
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

'88s are notoriously hard to find certian parts for, including the wheel bearings. They've been known to cost well over $100 each if you can track some down.
<Insert Sig Here>
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

You'll have to find some at the junkyard. Good luck. I have some spares but I can't let them go, as I will stay 88 forevah!
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Fastback86 wrote:'88s are notoriously hard to find certian parts for, including the wheel bearings. They've been known to cost well over $100 each if you can track some down.
So the front wheel bearings I just can not replace period?
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

You'll have to find some at the junkyard.
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Series8217 wrote:You'll have to find some at the junkyard.
I don't think the junkyard in Santa Maria has 88's, but they had 2 Fieros last time I was there. I might have to get what I need from some pick/part in Sun Valley.

Is it possible to replace the bearings, or will I have to do the whole assembly?

What (if any) other cars use the same front bearings/hub assembly?

Tools I'll need to take the old from the junked car?

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Starlite528 wrote:
Series8217 wrote:You'll have to find some at the junkyard.
I don't think the junkyard in Santa Maria has 88's, but they had 2 Fieros last time I was there. I might have to get what I need from some pick/part in Sun Valley.

Is it possible to replace the bearings, or will I have to do the whole assembly?
The whole assembly is all you can replace.
What (if any) other cars use the same front bearings/hub assembly?
None. That's the problem.
Tools I'll need to take the old from the junked car?
T55 torx bit (to take the hub bolts out), large 19mm wrench or 19mm socket and breaker bar (to take the caliper bridge off). Large hammer or humongous puller to get the rotor off; they're generally rusted on. Lug wrench to take the wheel off; stick a wrench through the spokes to jam it against the caliper so you can take them off since the car will be in the air.
That's it! It's pretty easy if you can get that rotor off!
BTW none of the Sun Valley yards have any 88 Fieros. Check after President's Day weekend, since they'll get a bunch of new cars after that (it's a 1/2 price weekend). I will call you if they do happen to have some though I won't be able to pull the hubs myself (my friend is going and will call me if there are any Fieros).
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

I sure hope they do get some in. I have next to nothing in money and I'm moving out of here by the end of this month!

I'll be moving with my mom to Orange County, or maybe I'll move to the San Fernando valley somewhere. My mom found a much better job than she has now. The big problem I have right now is that we have no place to move to. My mom can stay at a friends house, or we can both stay in a hotel. I hate this crap.

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

IIRC, the only time I saw an 88 at Sun Valley someone had already taken the hubs.. so watch out; someone else knows their worth (besides me) :-P
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

A company called eBearing made repro hubs. The company claims they are made to factory specs, but they are not. They fail rapidly if you are running laps on race tires, but as long as you don't do that, you should be ok with them. Rodney Dickman and the Fiero Store both carry them, but they're not cheap.
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:A company called eBearing made repro hubs. The company claims they are made to factory specs, but they are not. They fail rapidly if you are running laps on race tires, but as long as you don't do that, you should be ok with them. Rodney Dickman and the Fiero Store both carry them, but they're not cheap.
I saw the bearings at the fiero store and that's way out of my price range. I did wonder about their quality though. In this day and age, why are the replacement parts made to a lower standard than the original?

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Because its cheaper for them and they can get away with it.