"Click" no start... 3800SC 5Speed

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

As was said above, if you can't turn it over by hand with the plugs out, then pull the belt and see if it will turn over. If you can't turn it either direction, something is seriously fubarred. How did the clutch feel as you were driving it?

So to clarify, when you lost power the first time, the engine didn't die, you just lost the alternator & the charge light came on? Then you shut it off to fix things and it wouldn't turn over after that?
greengoblin0129

Post by greengoblin0129 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:As was said above, if you can't turn it over by hand with the plugs out, then pull the belt and see if it will turn over. If you can't turn it either direction, something is seriously fubarred. How did the clutch feel as you were driving it?

So to clarify, when you lost power the first time, the engine didn't die, you just lost the alternator & the charge light came on? Then you shut it off to fix things and it wouldn't turn over after that?
When it died the volt guage was very low. Inbetween shifts it would come close to dieing, it would drop rpms. Or if I rev it up it would come close to dieing. I went to shift in to second and it died slowly. Just figured because it was the first run I had to tune some things in and let the pcm learn itself. Clutch felt great driving the car. Its a Spec stage 3, and it seemed to engauge good in the 2 blocks i drove it lol. Tried to push start the car so I could get it home but I only had my buddy pushing. He couldn't get up enough speed to be able to pop the clutch. After pushing it home he threw up just from pushing it, damn smokers lol.
BC2002SS

Post by BC2002SS »

will it rotate with a half inch drive on the crank or not
2002 Camaro SS
1986 Fiero GT 3800SC 4T65E-HD
slp 1.8 rockers, slp headers, northstar throttle body, Z06 MAF,3.3" pulley,160 drilled stat,
12" Corvette brakes
1.81 60' 13.004 @102
new best 1.939 60' 12.909 @ 104.50
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

*tip of the day: don't try to bump-pushstart a car in 1st gear the gearing is working against you, try 3rd*

hadn't read the voltage part - I've had GM alternators seize and stop an engine before. like will said - pull the belt and see if it will turn by hand
greengoblin0129

Kohburn wrote:*tip of the day: don't try to bump-pushstart a car in 1st gear the gearing is working against you, try 3rd*

hadn't read the voltage part - I've had GM alternators seize and stop an engine before. like will said - pull the belt and see if it will turn by hand
I pulled the belts, and the fuckin thing will not turn at all. All the other pullies turn fine, so it's nothing on the belt system. It won't rotate in the least with a haft inch drive on the crank. What the hell would of caused this shit, and what the hell is wrong with it? Freezing balls in the garage and i'm about to take a shot gun to the Fiero. What should be my next step here?
DINSTAAR

Post by DINSTAAR »

I don't mean to belittle anyone but have you checked the oil level? Sometimes the little things get overlooked and the motor gets seized. I have over 16 years turning wrenches and managed to not put oil in my fiero a few months ago. It ran great for about 2 or 3 blocks then became sluggish, then died. I am an optimist though so it became a good time for an engine swap in my case.

Anyways just another thing to check before digging too deep into the engine.
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

sounds like crankshaft glaucoma - I cant see the crankshaft wanting to turn :scratch:
A.K.A. Chicken McNizzle on Old Europe
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

pull the starter and look at the teeth on the ring gear and starter..

i have a feeling though that its internal which means pulling the engine back out
DINSTAAR

Post by DINSTAAR »

Have you figured out what happened? You can't just leave us all hanging. Can you? I mean come on.
greengoblin0129

DINSTAAR wrote:Have you figured out what happened? You can't just leave us all hanging. Can you? I mean come on.
I dropped the oil pan last night, everthing seems to look good. Timing chain and all. Oil was clean, no water or metal shavings in it. Also took off the rear valve cover and everything under that looked good as well. I have to drop the motor to get the front one off. How do I check for seized bearings/pistons?
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

greengoblin0129 wrote:
DINSTAAR wrote:Have you figured out what happened? You can't just leave us all hanging. Can you? I mean come on.
I dropped the oil pan last night, everthing seems to look good. Timing chain and all. Oil was clean, no water or metal shavings in it. Also took off the rear valve cover and everything under that looked good as well. I have to drop the motor to get the front one off. How do I check for seized bearings/pistons?
you have to start pulling off caps, if problem is found there then there's no need to pull out the pistons if they passed a leak down/compression test - HOWEVER.... if the bearings are shot just save yourself the grief and have the whole bottom end and rotating assembly take to a machine shop and have it rebuilt....

I can't see a snapped cam or valvetrain causing the problem, but anything is possible at this point...

I would do a leak down/compress
greengoblin0129

FUCK IT, i'm dropping the engine out
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I was about to suggest the same thing. drop the wholemotor out and look at it out of hte car. be easier to tear down too.
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

Hell, If I was there I'd help you rip that fucker out and fix it :)

I hate my apartment complex, just had my damn K5 towed there and there's no way they're gonna let me drop the trans and slap in a new one - I ENVY the fact that you ALL have a place to work on your cars

DAMMIT!!!!

*Slams door on the way out*

HAHAHAHA
:bootyshake: