Anyone in here know much about semi-automatic rifles?

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

DiggityBiggity

Anyone in here know much about semi-automatic rifles?

Post by DiggityBiggity »

I'm thinking about picking up an M1-Garand or an (Busmaster) AR-15... Any suggestions?
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

my dad has an old m1 - neat gun but mostly for posterity sake.

biggity + rifle = federal watch list
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

he's already on it.

talk to mike #1 about the AR-15. if you want, let me know if you want to meet up with him. I have to go down to the shore to pick up some stuff from him anyway and I've been putting it off since january.
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

The AR-15 is going to be a lot lighter of course. AFAIK the ammo is a lot cheaper too, but don't quote me on that. I've never had to pay for any of the hundreds of lake city rounds I've shot.
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.
Henry Gibson - Kentucky Fried Movie.

http://www.lordshadowstar.com
whipped

Post by whipped »

are you going to actually use it, or is it just a conversation starter?
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

I always thought that an assault rifle was more of the dot at the end of a life sentence? :scratch:
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

eHoward wrote:he's already on it.

talk to mike #1 about the AR-15. if you want, let me know if you want to meet up with him. I have to go down to the shore to pick up some stuff from him anyway and I've been putting it off since january.
Well, the gun show is this weekend... is Mike selling his AR?
whipped

Post by whipped »

Mach10 wrote:I always thought that an assault rifle was more of the dot at the end of a life sentence? :scratch:
okay, maybe not conversation starter but ender.

:salute:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

M1 Garand is a brutal rifle, shoots a 30-06 round, much much more powerful than an AR-15 shooting a .223

M1- Harder to reload, open iron sights, limited clip capacity but very powerful

AR-15- Lots of add on goodies, pinpoint accuracy, fast reloading, high clip capacity but down on stopping power.
whipped

Post by whipped »

AK-47

Cheap; shoots when filled with sand, mud and water; similar power to the M1; 75 round drum capable

AR-15

Expensive; shoots when meticulously clean and well oiled; weak

:la:

If you're going for the conversation starter, AR-15. If you're going for the conversation ender, pick something that works. ;)
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

whipped wrote:AK-47

Cheap; shoots when filled with sand, mud and water; similar power to the M1; 75 round drum capable

AR-15

Expensive; shoots when meticulously clean and well oiled; weak

If you're going for the conversation starter, AR-15. If you're going for the conversation ender, pick something that works. ;)
The AK bullets drop off after 150 yards... the AR can easily hit a target at 300... also, $800 isn't that expensive, and as far as needed to be cleaned meticulously, that's not a problem, I enjoy cleaning my guns.

(and oh yeah, it's drum capable too)
whipped

Post by whipped »

AKs weren't really made for accuracy anyways... even ones with milled recievers have trouble keeping a tight group

Didn't know the ARs could have drums
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

whipped wrote:
Didn't know the ARs could have drums
It's a expensive add on, about $250 - $300
emod19

Post by emod19 »

Drums are for pussies.

http://www.dndguns.com/shrike.htm

Steve
1985 Mazda RX7 w/400 sbc
Removed it's soul, Gave it some balls.
whipped

Post by whipped »

mmmmmmmmm
Indy

Post by Indy »

AR-15 ALL THE WAY. If you want more stopping power, it's not like you can't get several different upper recievers and swap them out depending on your mood that day. I'm thinking about getting a .450 upper for my AR. If the 72 grain .223 round doesn't work, the 500gr .450 bullet should get the job done.

Feel like a .204 Ruger? A 6.8 Remingtion? .260 Remingtion? 9mm? Choice is yours.

If you get an AR, I guarantee you you won't be sad. The fun factor is way, way up there compared to other guns.

I built this:

Even with a really crappy optic it shoots 0.5-1 MOA groups. That's about 1/2 to 1" at 100 yards.

It's just a good gun. Do NOT buy russian AK crap if you can get one of these. You'll regret that the first time you pull it apart to try cleaning it. It's not hard, but nothing compares to the simplicity of the AR. Push two pins out with your fingers, and you can access everything, or swap out upper recievers. As the owner of several SKS rifles, I can tell you that since I got the AR, they've been sitting in the gun cabinet looking very lonely.

If you want more rounds, check out the Beta mags. 100 rounds, clips in exactly like a regular mag, no conversion needed.

Let me repeat this again...
DON'T GET AN AK OR SKS!!!!!1111!one

[/rant]
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

SKS are fun because you can buy crates of cheap cheap ammo, you can plink all day on the cheap.

SKS rifle and a crate of 1000 rounds for $250, cheap.
Indy

Post by Indy »

crzyone wrote:SKS are fun because you can buy crates of cheap cheap ammo, you can plink all day on the cheap.

SKS rifle and a crate of 1000 rounds for $250, cheap.
I'm not saying that the SKS isn't fun. It definitely has the cheap market cornered. Three SKS's and 1000 rounds of ammo cost my dad the same as one AR. In fact, last weekend me and a friend unloaded about 200 rounds of 7.62x39 on the target holder (tree stump) in about 1 minute. That was fun, but the AR is just that much funner.
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
whipped

Post by whipped »

Nice fluting
Indy wrote: You'll regret that the first time you pull it apart to try cleaning it. It's not hard, but nothing compares to the simplicity of the AR. Push two pins out with your fingers, and you can access everything, or swap out upper recievers.
Oh come on!

You have to push 2 pins out with your fingers, I can push one button and have the gun practically fall apart for cleaning.

Now the real question on everybody's mind -

what does it take to go full auto? AK - a shoe string or "bump/hip firing". AR - ?? I in no way shape or form have tried said activities, nor do I condone said activities.

Last edited by whipped on Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The AR is definitly a fun gun. Its more of a sniper gun, shooting for accuracy is always fun. The SKS is just a "lets see how many bullets I can fire in an hour" type gun. I've had the barrel on an SKS smoking hot in very little time, probibly burned out the barrel but I didn't care.

If I were to buy a rifle tomorrow, it would be a Tika T3 Tatical in either 308 or 300 win mag. Another brutally accurate rifle.