Click, click, click, says the wheel.

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Locking up the brakes will do it. When you had your accident, did you slam on them?
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

No, it was raining for the first time in months (much oil on roads too) and the rear tires slipped, not the front. :scratch:
(In other words, I had known not to slam on the brakes when you're slipping apeshit on a wet road. :thumbleft:)

I also plan on bringing up the fact that if it were caused by sitting (which the guy told me caused the 50 dollar charge instead of full warranty coverage), the REAR tires would be the SAME. What did I do, jack up the back and let it sit for a couple months? :la:
'87 Fiero GT, Automatic, 153... 156... 157... 158... 161k... 163k... 165k... 168k... SHIT I LOST COUNT
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

Want to tell the rest of us how you managed to lock up the rear tires but not the fronts? You do know the brake system is front-biased, right? The fronts WILL lock before the rears in almost all situations...

Unless you were a bad little falcon and was playing "J-Turn" with Mr. E-Brake... :salute:

Doesn't take much to get a flat-spot. One good panic stop will do it.

Also, if the tires were soft when parking, that'll mess things up too, if it was sitting in a puddle... Or if there was oil on the ground...
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

No, I was turning around a right-hand U-turn onramp on the freeway, doing 25 on a 25 turn, in light rain, and the rear tires slid out from under me. Never once did I hit the brakes. That's how my poor Fiero got into the nasty shape it did. A jackass SUV wasn't watching what was going on around him and decided "hey, this ass looks nice to kiss". >.<
'87 Fiero GT, Automatic, 153... 156... 157... 158... 161k... 163k... 165k... 168k... SHIT I LOST COUNT
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

That's plain old Oversteer. That won't usually net you a flatspot.

I'm going to vote on STS. Shit-Tire-Syndrome.

A sphincter says "holyshitgottabuynewtires!"
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Why does it matter, Mach? He said the flat spot was on the front wheels.
<Insert Sig Here>
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

New tires... bump's gone.

Yep, STS... :puke:

All's I know is, I've learned to hate the term "pro-rated" today... :angry:
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

grand am brakes on the back will lock the backs always before the fronts. Helps steer :la:
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

Fastback86 wrote:Why does it matter, Mach? He said the flat spot was on the front wheels.
It matters because an 4-tire skid that starts with oversteer won't flat the tires like jamming the brakes and keeping them pinned while you pinball off the dividers.
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

jamming the brakes and keeping them pinned while you pinball off the dividers.
LOL of the day!!!! =P

So I took the car for some more spins... no, not spins like that... but to Taco Bell and Blockbuster for some food and movies. I have never heard my car this quiet and smooth. Rolling down the freeway, the only thing I can hear is the wind, and the only thing I can feel in the steering wheel is... well, me turning it! I wonder if the damn tires had flat spots all along and I never noticed it? :angry:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

They were brand new tires when you got them?

Maybe they were returns and you got shafted.
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

No, I bought used tires from Pep Boys. :la:
(Actually, now that I remember it, and once again have the little knobbies all over the tires, I do remember LOLing at the "hair" on the tires. So they were new...)

Yeah, I probably got shafted. I was new at cars, I didn't know what to look for. Hell, I took the thing to Pontiac to have them tell me my radiator had a crack in it, my alignment was as straight as this guy (nsfw?), and my engine was fucked. :salute:
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

p8ntman442 wrote:grand am brakes on the back will lock the backs always before the fronts. Helps steer :la:
only if you have the same rubber front and back.. with wider rear than front it adds balance and brakes very well.