Northstar ???

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

groovieguy

Northstar ???

Post by groovieguy »

Yesterday drive to Dade City, FL to get hardner for my paint. The guy asks what I am painting I said Fiero.
Cool, our mechanic has one wanna meet him and see his care? Sure.
Well shit he takes me out there and I see an 87 Notchie, he opens the engine and there is a N* shoved in it, my eyes almost popp-out.
I said I can't see spending that kinda money to put that in there, he says it wasn't much.
He did his own OBD1 computer and said he had to grind a few things and that was about it. Says it cost him around $1000 with engine.
WTF I want one. He is also using the stock Fiero Auto in it. So we talked for about a 1/2 hour and he says I am going on break wanna ride? Sure what the hell.
He is one crazy Mother Fucker, I about shit my pants. Dade City is a small town with alot of curves and man I was plastered against the door and headrest. Shitty looking car but damn she was FAST.
I think I may want one now :thumbleft:
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

if you can do the work yourself the N* should be no more expensive than a 3800sc
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

$1000?? HAHAHAHA!!!

Thats worse than the $1500 4.9 guys.

I guess if you get a real cheap miled out engine, use the caddy trani, do all the work yourself it could be fairly cheap, but if you buy a low mileage engine, use a manual transmission then it gets expensive fast.

I have $3000 into my swap so far, and have about $4000 more to spend (computer to run my motor is $3300 Canadian)
JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK »

crzyone wrote:$1000?? HAHAHAHA!!!

Thats worse than the $1500 Peice of shit guys.

I guess if you get a real cheap miled out engine, use the caddy trani, do all the work yourself it could be fairly cheap, but if you buy a low mileage engine, use a manual transmission then it gets expensive fast.

I have $3000 into my swap so far, and have about $4000 more to spend (computer to run my motor is $3300 Canadian)
I'm the dork who thought I could restore a 67 fastback for $5k.. Guess what, ain't happening, no matter how many corners I 'cut' (non original).. agh! Things add up quick.
groovieguy

Post by groovieguy »

I doubted the $1000 price tag but his brother owns a junk yard and got
the N* for free. Says he did his own OBD1 wiring. Said someting that the OB@ would be a pain in the ass, I don't know shit about computers except home computers. And using Automatic, said someting about them being to costly to hold up in the N* swap.
He didn't seem like a Bull-Shiter either older maybe in 40's and had a weird accent.
You know those guys with them accents really know what they are doing.
Damn foreigners know all the Shit. :scratch:

From the look of the stuff done it sure wasn't pretty, but it sure ran Great :thumbleft:

I can get complete N* here for $600 or less if I go to the Auto Auction,
CADILLAC SEVILLE STS 1996 GREEN 4 8 Gas A Tape 96204 $500
bryson

Post by bryson »

I don't see why $1000 is unreasonable, not including the cost of the engine. I didn't spend very much during my swap if you dont' count building the engine. If you don't replace any of the engine's gaskets or seals, and don't replace the water pump or any other accesories, I can imagine only spending about a grand (give or take a couple hundred, depending on the people you know).
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I was going to post the same thing. I know of a blue 4.5L pushrod caddy v8 fiero that was done for under a grand including the cost of the car.
bryson wrote:I don't see why $1000 is unreasonable, not including the cost of the engine. I didn't spend very much during my swap if you dont' count building the engine. If you don't replace any of the engine's gaskets or seals, and don't replace the water pump or any other accesories, I can imagine only spending about a grand (give or take a couple hundred, depending on the people you know).