Installing larger valves

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Shaun41178(2)

Installing larger valves

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I was thinking abuot spending the extra money and have oversized valves put in my iron heads.

I was thinking 1.76 over the 1.72 since the 1.76 are already available.

My questions is do machine shops need to install the larger valve seats for the slightly larger valve? Or can they just cut the old seat to the larger seat of the 1.76 valve? I am not too familiar with how machine shops go about this task so I was hoping someone here knew.

Thanks
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

GM has been induction hardening the valve seats in iron heads since the lead came out of gasoline. Not sure how far into the head or out from the seat the induction hardening goes. If you cut through it, then you'll have to re-harden the valve seats. Not sure if that's readily possible in most shops. Talk to your machinist about it.

I've heard that hardened valve seats are only important on the exhaust valves, and then only if the engine's going to see hard duty (which I think it will, considering that you're building a turbo setup...)

I guess you're familiar with the tooling to cut a bigger valve seat?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I saw it done years ago. Not sure if anything has changed since then.

I remember seeing this cutting toole and it was on an angle set by the machinist to the seat to cut the angles on the seat.

But yea I dont' know just how much room there is to grow on cutting more of the seat there to get that extra .04 of valve in there.

I have a pic of my finsihed combustion chamber. I dont' think I took too much off the seat if any. I just wonder if it can be cut a tad larger. I wish I had more time to get over to the shop in the area. I might need tot ake a personal day or somethng.

finished chamber. You can see the seat.

donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Well, I had the seats replaced in my 454 cause the valves were to recessed so i would assume if that little amount is enough to replace them then a machine shop would install the matching valve seats to your new larger valves. Its really cheap man.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

Ok im interested in this now as well. Also, Does anyone know the size of the valves in a 4. 9 cause i have a set of those kicking around, and would like to use them in the fiero heads if possible. Or 2.3 quad 4 valves.
loudias

Post by loudias »

Good idea Shaun...I'll have to add that to my list of things to do to my next 3 . 4 motor...
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

I to dont know for a fact, but I beleive you'll be fine. it's only 0.04".
loudias

Post by loudias »

Pyrthian wrote:I to dont know for a fact, but I beleive you'll be fine. it's only 0.04".
and only .02 at any point of the circumference
Dirty Sanchez

Post by Dirty Sanchez »

Hey Lou, you going to Kick Hill tomorrow? A group of us will be there around 11:00 AM.
I treat others as they treat me
loudias

Post by loudias »

No car remember?

Besides, I got to install new locks at my rental property. Bad tenant finally moved out. Me and a friend and his fiancee will be moving in.

I was at kick hill at the Sept. meet in 2002.
Dirty Sanchez

Post by Dirty Sanchez »

Oh well, maybe you can make it to the NEFA swap meet there later this Summer.
I treat others as they treat me
loudias

Post by loudias »

Don't plan on buying a car (Fiero) until close to when I can get my license back...which is late August of 2006.