Jumpy tack

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

teamhavok2

Jumpy tack

Post by teamhavok2 »

My GT has a newish motor slapped in and not very well. Already found 2 vacume hoses not plugged in one being the main to the vacuume silinoid. The tack has been jumpy and will jolt if you let it jump for a bit. When sitting it will jump a little and turn off. Was told by a local it might be a bad ground (fiberglass) that the mechanic put in. Any ideas what it could be?
Silver 85 GT-scratch that
Maroon and sliver 86 GT
Project Life
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Check to make sure that all vacuum lines are going where they are supposed to go, there's a map on the underside of the decklid.

If vacuum is applied to the EGR solenoid while the engine is idleing, it will stall out.
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.
Henry Gibson - Kentucky Fried Movie.

http://www.lordshadowstar.com
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The tach turns off or the engine turns off?
Could be the pickup coil in the dist..
teamhavok2

Post by teamhavok2 »

it's a brand new distributor including pick up coil and modual. I didn't buy it so i changed the modual with a new one (cheap and had one i was going to use on my last fiero). Car still jumps and engine will stall out when it idles. No spark afterwards. I'm going to follow the lines again but I am 99% sure they are all going to the right place. the ignition coil looks old but not sure that would do it. Put on new spark cables because they had some older ones on it.
Maroon and sliver 86 GT
Project Life
Forever-Fiero

Post by Forever-Fiero »

Tack Filter :thumbleft: Little thing with two white wire's and a white plug. It's just behind the coil.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

That can be the problem, I believe the method to check it is jumper it out. Simply jumper the two terminals in the connector, on the wiring harness side. If the tach is still wrong the filter is not the main problem. I jumped mine out and it still reads way high.
teamhavok2

Post by teamhavok2 »

Could it be the vacuume silinoid? seems like if the vacuume is junk and block off from the vaccuem to the egr is not working properly then it would do the same as if i was applying direct pressure to the egr even when idling? That was my orriginal gut feeling but after taking it to a shop they told me to just replace the ignition system and that didn't work. If it was the tack filter wouldn't the problem only consist in the tack? this problem hits the engine and makes the tack jump because it's reading it. I'm still learning but it seems like if my home computer fried I wouldn't change the screen that reads the computer. thanks guys
Maroon and sliver 86 GT
Project Life
teamhavok2

Post by teamhavok2 »

I had a broken plug @ the module and have fixed that (the one from the ignition coil) and after that i swapped out the modual with a new one in case I fried it. While doing that i noticed that there are just to sleeved wires that connect from the coil to the modual. Last few fieros i had clipped on to the modual. This was a new looking distributor with the star style but I'll take a good look at it after work to see if it's been spliced.
Maroon and sliver 86 GT
Project Life
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I moved this.
Weponhead

Post by Weponhead »

teamhavok2

Post by teamhavok2 »

would the gasket for the egr not being glued cause this? it's on tight but the person that put it in didn't seal it
Maroon and sliver 86 GT
Project Life
teamhavok2

Post by teamhavok2 »

turns out the gasket was reused when they installed the engine. sealed it and it made the problem disapear. Think i might reseal the egr tube in case they did the same thing there.
Maroon and sliver 86 GT
Project Life