Need switched power

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Nemesis
ass

Need switched power

Post by Nemesis »

I mounted my water pump in the passenger's side wheel well. Now I need power supplied to it when the key is on. Where would be the closest/best place to tap in? I was thinking the fuel pump, but I don't want to pull current headed to that.

Any ideas?
I also found a place for my intercooler and mounted it. I have about 1/2 from the A/C lines, 1/4" from the lower shifter cable bracket.
Routed the copper lines through the rockers. They are now fastened down.
Waiting on my heat exchanger and charge pipes (that's gonna be fun).
Last edited by Nemesis on Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

looks like its going to be tough to fit the charge pipe under the vent.

I'm interested in what you're using for the HE.
Nemesis
ass

Post by Nemesis »

I'm using one of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Liqu ... genameZWDV
I am also having him make me 2 smaller ones to fit in the side scoops. They will serve a good purpose and I need something in all the scoops that will look good. The exchangers will end up costing almost $900.

And the pipe under the vent has tons of room. I know it doesn't look like it. But If I have to, there's this.
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merch ... e=SIL-90EL

I think I'll be fine with a normal 90... I hope.
Last edited by Nemesis on Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

A simple 90 degree should be just fine to route to the TB.

3 heat exchangers? You gotta be kidding me. You don't need 3 unless you plan on making 2k hp. One good one is more then enough. The 03 Cobra exchanger will work just fine for your power output and can be had for under $100.

I have one I would sell you for $50.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Do you know how much current that motor pulls?

I'd try running it on the cooling fan fuse (20A, I think).
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

What about running a relay for the waterpump? That will draw little power, and run the other one straight to battery, easy if the battery is in the stock location.
Nemesis
ass

Post by Nemesis »

The battery is up front now.

By cooling fan do you mean the radiator or the fan for the alternator/coil? This is an 88 and doesn't have that coil fan. I was hoping to tap in right in the general area without having to run wires all over, but I might not have much of a choice.

But wait... I forgot I have an 86 wiring harness installed when I swapped out the 4 cylinder for the V6. I do have the lead right there for that coil fan. Not sure if it still has power... I'll have to check it.

There is a label on the pump and I'll check it to see what it's rated at.

I was going to tap into the junction block behind the battery (if it were in the stock location, but it's constant 12v.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

that constant power will be OK for a relay. Then you can tap switched power inside the car from something like a radio circuit, etc.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

exactly, run a 20A circuit from the harness to a relay, to the pump. Switch the relay with the output from the oil pressure sender, its local to your pump. Or your fuel pump relay turn on the other side of the car.
Nemesis
ass

Post by Nemesis »

I'm gonna have to wait on that pump for a bit. It says right on it to not run dry, so I'll fill the system before I give it power. The label says it pulls 25 watts.

One thing I am hunting for is a fill point for the intercooler. Does anyone know of a place to get something like that? It would really be nice if the inlet/outlet were 3/4" so I don't need adapters all over the place.

And I had sort of a brain storm. Not sure if it's a good idea or not. For the heat exchangers, I decided to try heater cores. One thing I want is to fill the holes of the side scoops. Without anything there you can see the fender liners and I'm not too found of mesh type stuff. My only concern is the heater cores being able to take hits from rocks and debris. After a couple of trips to the parts store, I think I found one that will almost fill the holes. This pic is of one I returned because it's too small. The one I have now is 2" taller. And it's only about $45.
The new one I have has the inlet/outlet tubes in the way of me holding it in place. So I will have to cut them off to see how it fits, but the core is as tall as the scoop so the tanks shouldn't be seen.

What do you think?

I also plan to mount 10" fans behind them to help keep them cool and I like the noise they will make.

I also got my charge pipes coming and (I hope) the correct couplers and a Tial BOV.
Last edited by Nemesis on Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemesis
ass

Post by Nemesis »

Nemesis wrote:
One thing I am hunting for is a fill point for the intercooler. Does anyone know of a place to get something like that? It would really be nice if the inlet/outlet were 3/4" so I don't need adapters all over the place.
I saw a filler in an auction for an entire PWR intercooler kit and fell in love. All I need is the filler so I emailed them to see if they would sell it seperate. If I would have checker their other auctions I would have found this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PWR-3-4- ... enameZWD1V

It costs a bit more than I would like, but this will be mounted high in the engine bay and will be seen. Chances are this is the unit I will get.
Last edited by Nemesis on Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Nemesis wrote:What do you think?
Skip the exchanger up front and just use the two in the side scoops. Duct the airflow from behind them over the wheel well liner and out some rear bumper vents or something like...
cactus bastard

Post by cactus bastard »

That filler looks pretty nice, but why the hell don't those ever have mounting lugs or anything? Do people seriously put inline fillers just hanging there by rad hoses? That would feel awful every time you took the cap off, you'd feel it flexing, plus it looks stupid...
Pet peeve I guess, I just (strongly) feel that a fill point should be hard mounted.
Why would you eat bad ice cream?
Nemesis
ass

Post by Nemesis »

Why does Paypal leave your "Payment pending" for 3 damn days when it comes right out of my bank account?? My pipes won't be here this weekend for sure. Son of a....
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I had this same problem, and it pissed me off. Turns out, the card I had registered, which is my debit card, was expired, so they no longer used that and had to take it directly from my account, which took a few days to clear. So if you have a debit card registered, make sure it isn't expired.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Rads and intercoolers take rock hits fairly well. You would need a sizable rock to damage it to the point of leaking. The intercooler on my skyline sits out in the open in the front of the car.

at $45 per cooler I would not be too worried about it. Some intercoolers are in the $1000+ range, I would be more concerned then.

Maybe it would be smart to wire in a cutoff switch somewhere so if you do get a leak you can shut off the pump before it runs dry and kills the pump.
Nemesis
ass

Post by Nemesis »

Wrong thread.