Grand Am Brake upgrade

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

befarrer

Grand Am Brake upgrade

Post by befarrer »

I have been thinking of doing the Grand Am brake upgrade to my 86 Fiero since I have a 1990 Grand Am donor car in my parents yard. I havent yet because I want a park brake, but recently found out that 85 Caddy something rear calipers fit the stock Grand am brake rotors and Fiero parking brake cables.

I looked up part numbers and prices for new rotors and calipers and pads, and according to my computer at work, they have 2 options, regular, and special performance (WS6). I assume both will work, but the WS6 has different calipers, pads, and rotors, I looked at both pads, which we had at work, and the WS6 ones are almost 2X bigger. What was also wierd, was that I just finished pricing out front brake pads and rotors for a 2000 Cavalier for a customer (which remimded me to check GA brake prices), and the calipers, rotors, and pads are the same part number as the 1990 Grand Am WS6 parts. Next time I am at Pick n Pull, I will have a look at a 96-05 (all take the same parts) Sunfire/Cavalier front brakes. I may try swapping them onto my Fiero in the future. If they do fit the same as the regular Grand Am brakes (non WS6), which I assume 99% of Grand Ams have on them, then there is another source for a brake upgrade over the stock Fiero, and on a more common vehicle. Which may also fit on my pimpin 14" rims.