Would you put these gauges in your Fiero?

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Nemesis
ass

Would you put these gauges in your Fiero?

Post by Nemesis »

I can't decide if I want to use them or sell them. Right now I have the stock 120 speedo with a Sunbird turbo tach. It almost looks stock. On the pillar I have an Auto Meter Phantom boost and narrow band AFR gauge.
Then I have these Auto Meter Ultra-Lite gauges.
I would get the Ultra-Lite Wideband and replace the Vacuum gauge with a boost gauge.
The center pod sticks up rather high and there is no more "Check Engine" light.
cactus bastard

Post by cactus bastard »

I don't care for them at all, but that's just personal preference. Those must have cost quite a bit.
Why would you eat bad ice cream?
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

I personally would not, those sunbird gauges look really nice, but the autometers are kind of gaudy.

Nice though you didn't pull an MTA and get 6 different colored gauges :thumbleft:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I don't think the speedo and tach are bad. My issue with that setup would be that it doesn't have the full functionality of the stock dash (IE, no check engine light and I'm sure it's missing a lot of other stuff).

I wouldn't put 6 gauges on the center stack. I'd drop down a size and put three or four across, but I wouldn't go with two rows and I wouldn't want six. A vacuum gauge is of course a bit limited on a turbo engine.

The Sunbird tach, however, is EASY.

I'd put oil temp in the main gauge pod and keep the boost gauge on the a-pillar.
teamhavok2

Post by teamhavok2 »

That center pod might not be too bad in a black color, but that board would be hard to fit without being a huge eye sore.
Silver 85 GT-scratch that
Maroon and sliver 86 GT
Project Life
TurboGT

Post by TurboGT »

I like them but the center stack is way to big if you ask me. If the Sunbird boost gage is anything like my Typhoon's it isn't worth shit, the only thing it was good for was telling me vacuum or boost. I would try to downsize the amount of gages in the center and go from there.
Mega Squirted Turbo 3400
The install
How to MS your Fiero
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I don't think the speedo and tach are bad. My issue with that setup would be that it doesn't have the full functionality of the stock dash (IE, no check engine light and I'm sure it's missing a lot of other stuff).

I wouldn't put 6 gauges on the center stack. I'd drop down a size and put three or four across, but I wouldn't go with two rows and I wouldn't want six. A vacuum gauge is of course a bit limited on a turbo engine.

The Sunbird tach, however, is EASY.

I'd put oil temp in the main gauge pod and keep the boost gauge on the a-pillar.
Screw the tach, install the entire cluster. I have been running this for 2.5 years now, with no problems. Little wiring changes are needed, just extend the wires about 3", and eliminate all repetitive wires. Only problem is the speedo is for an ECM generated 4000PPM 1 wire output.

Next time I take my cover off, I should mark down the wiring for it, I had it but lost it. Then you can put 2 gauges in the stock center pod GT gauges, since all the normal gauges are in front of you, tach, boost, speed, odometer, temp, oil pressure, voltage, and fuel, for idiot lights it has check gauges, Service engine soon, seat belts, turn signals, brake, high beams, deck ajar, and the shift up arrow.

Only 16 wires feen the entire dash through 1 plug.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

befarrer wrote:Image
I hate shiny dash panels, but the cluster's not too bad.

Would be better with the Tach dead center.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

I would say not to use that huge ass center guage pod. Maybe rework the main cluster and relocate the odometer to the lower left, add some LEDs for check engine, etc and put the fuel guage (or other) between the tach and speedo if it fits. Then after you get rid of the Vacuum, you only have 4 guages to mess with in the center. If anything, I would place the extra guages where the center vents are rather than have that huge stack. Also, befarrer's set-up looks pretty good too.