Overkill??? Ya damn skippy.

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Indy

Overkill??? Ya damn skippy.

Post by Indy »

I just got a 90mm Ford throttle body:

So now I'm down to one of the last decisions for my intake. Sheetmetal or cast intake elbow?

Might turbulence after the throttle body have such an effect that I might be wasting my $$$ on the nice one? When I think about it, the odds of air making a smooth 90* transition directly after hitting the TB blade isn't good, but I wanted to know what you guys thought.

I can get one of those for about $140. The inside corners are welded and smoothed for a round-ish inside edge, but what you see on the outside is pretty much what it is on the inside.

Or

A Wilson Manifolds cast elbow:
http://www.wilsonmanifolds.com/shop/media/461101.jpg
The Wilson version is all round and nice and pretty, but it's like $220.

And also, got my injector bosses. Thanks for everyone's help with that
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/F ... CF0480.jpg

Nate
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Get the Wilson manifolds adapter, bolt it to your manifold and have the whole setp extrude honed.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

buy an exhaust donut to get your round 90* bent, and have someone cut out the ends from some 1/4-3/8" stock sheet then weld it up.. should be less than 100$ and give smooth flow like the wilson
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

That's a good idea... Dunno why the place that made the square one made it square...
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Taht square one looks pretty nice. It appears to have fittings for vacuum ports and such to feed some vacuum acceesories.

Looks like a nice peice.
Indy

Post by Indy »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Get the Wilson manifolds adapter, bolt it to your manifold and have the whole setp extrude honed.
I don't even know of any shops that do extrude honing.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Taht square one looks pretty nice. It appears to have fittings for vacuum ports and such to feed some vacuum acceesories.

Looks like a nice peice.
Yeah, I talked to the guy that makes them and for $5-10 extra bucks I can tell him any fittings I might need and where at. I thought that was pretty cool.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Taht square one looks pretty nice. It appears to have fittings for vacuum ports and such to feed some vacuum acceesories.

Looks like a nice peice.
function over looks imo

i'd just drill and tap some vac ports into the wilson
V8Archie

Post by V8Archie »

Last edited by V8Archie on Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indy

Post by Indy »

I've said to hell with them all. I'm making my own composite elbow. I even got the plug to pretty much the final shape today. I need another project. :blah5:
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Indy wrote:I've said to hell with them all. I'm making my own composite elbow. I even got the plug to pretty much the final shape today. I need another project. :blah5:
That is what I did. Here are a few pics, same basic concept, to get a LS1 75mm throttle body on. I used a 3" mandrel ebtn aluminum piece off Ebay ($25), and built the flanges myself. The total cost was $25+$45 (welding) +$10 (aluminum stock). So I spent $80, and IMHO it look sgreat. SOme guy that makes crappy headers for the monte carlos said he'd make me one for $275, and I all but laughed in his face.

Pics:
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Indy

Post by Indy »

I worked on a mold (well more of a mandrel really) Saturday, and got pretty far. Obviously I still have to bondo it and smooth it out. I'm also going to have to double check it with my manifold,as they have it at the shop still. At that point, I have ordered some 8" diameter CF sleeve that will slip over the mandrel. Before I do the final piece I'm going to do layups of like the outer curve with fiberglass just to check the shape and make sure there's not anything I need to fix. Once the CF goes on and gets epoxy, then an outer layer of heat shrink tubing will be put on and shrunk, to remove the excess epoxy and smooth out the outer layer.

It actually looks kinda like shit right now:

But it'll get better.

Nate
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)