Auto X

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

befarrer

Auto X

Post by befarrer »

Went Auto crossing yesterday. First proper autocross event in my Fiero. It was fun, there were 4 Fiero's there, and we were all in the bottom 10 out of 50 cars there. Odly, my fastest run, was the one that I wasnt trying to be fast on. I had a ticky lifter after coming off of my 3rd run, which was done near redline for most of the track, so I did most of that run in 2nd with lower RPM's, and I was 1 second faster, but it was my last run, so I couldnt improve.

Here is my 1st run, done slower to figure out the track, and also, I did the whole track in 1st gear:

This was a 78.750 run.

Also, the 4 Fiero's that were there:
-1985 GT 4.9L V8, 4 speed standard, lowered, 18" rims Z rated tires, poly suspension. Best time - 69.854

-1986 Coupe 4.9L V8, 5-speed Isuzu, stock suspension, new rubber busings, KYB shocks (I think), stock 15" Fiero lace rims, BF Goodrich tires. Best Time - 70.725

- Me - 1986 Coupe 2.3L L4, 5 Speed Getrac, Stock Suspension, 260,000KM old rubber Bishngs, and cradle bushings, 14" Rims, Yokohama P215/60R14 tires on all 4. Best Time - 71.981

-1988 GT 2.8L V6, 5-speed Getrac, Stock Suspension, Rubber bushings, Stock 15" lace rims, Michelin tires. Best Time - 75.742.

I was hoping to do a better time than the V8's, but I got almost within 1 second of them, which is pretty good since I lave less than 1/2 the displacement, and older suspension.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Cool. Cool vid too.

I think its funny for how well fieros supposedly handle they are at the very bottom of the pile even with different motors with all this tq from the v8's. I thought fieros owned in the twisties?

Not to mention, you said you kept it in first the whole time, which means it was probably a really tight course which gave the tqier motors more of an advantage. open the track up a bit to faster speeds, and you mgith have beaten the 4.9 cars. Being 1 second off from the otehr cars is awesome considering ti was your first time to the track and I am sure the other fieros theer had done that before.

Nice job.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

show up with some real rubber and you'll beat those guys.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

I had some pretty worn out P195 70R 14's I was going to slap on the front, but I got there late and didnt have time. The course was about 70KM/h average. I hit the rev limiter in 1st about 1/2 way down the straights in 1st.

My suspension is not ideal right now either. I have a stock Base coupe front sway bar, sensatrack shocks on all 4 corners, but it is my springs that are mis-matched. I have the stiffest 1984 WS6 springs on the rear, cut 3/4 of a coil, and the 2nd softest 86 non-Ws6 springs up front, not cut or modified. Next time I visit Crzyone, I am going to get the old WS6 springs from his 86 GT, that should stiffen things up. My car is way too soft on the front end, makes it smooth for daily driving though.
Mickey_Moose

Post by Mickey_Moose »

:blah5:

...yea the Fiero could have done better, but you also have to consider that all of us are basically beginners at this vs everyone else that attended. Of all the people I talked to, the least experienced fellow had been doing this for a solid 3 years now (every few weeks) vs the couple of times that us Fiero guys do.

The other 4.9 Fiero actually made a time of less than 65sec in the fun runs after the races. Mine, hey I got better the more I went, but I feel I could also do a fair bit better if I just pushed the car harder and actually stayed on the gas vs coasting (stupid Izusu kind of sucked for this, seemed to have to do alot of shifting) - HEY it's my excuss and I'm sticking to it :p

Anyways, here are the 'official times' http://www.mrheavyfoot.com/files/result ... _4_fin.htm

...tough to beat the Lotus...they are better built for this type of thing. :)

Don't ask about the classes - I have no ideal why you get stuck in one class vs another...maybe I should look them up in the rule book...
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

I wish I had time to experiment with the 2 tire sizes I had there. In the video I posted above, which I now think was my 3rd run, (since only Givi's girlfriend was filming the 1st and 2nd rounds), I can hear that I was doing alot of coasting and engine braking too. Also, with practice, you can figure out which lines to take on some corners just by looking at them on the walk around, like alot of them, you could have gone much wider in the straights to carry more speed. All I was concerned about was not getting lost. My biggest mistake, was trying to hold 1st gear longest. I was faster in 2nd, and not giving full throttle than I was in 1st and full throttle. :scratch:

Oh yeah, and that lifter has been quiet since that one time. Must have sucked in some air or something on that last corner by the power pole.