L67 build by Sinister Perf. with some extras

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Update:

Well the swap is almost complete! The engine is in and running with no leaks and/or problems.

The bad is that after about 3 years of sitting, one of my rear calipers froze, so that needs to be replaced. I'm kinda mad about that just because I put in a ton of work (cleaning and polishing bores and sliders) so they wouldn't freeze. Oh well. After that, all that's left is the a/c lines.

I'm looking to pick up the car somewhere between the 16th and 18th. That only give me a couple of days to clean and prep before the Michigan Fiero Show.

It's nice that this is coming to an end. New wheels (5Zigen Fn01r-c in flat black), and nice steering wheel (Sparco Naxos), and Fiero1Fan's low-rise headlights will be done by the end of the month!
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

excellent! Cant wait for pics.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Pics:

airfilter:

Intercooler surge tank:

Hidden Evap:

All that's left is an alignment, the a/c work and a couple other little things. But right now she is up and running.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

out of curiosity, is that schrader valve on the fuel rail accesible with a gauge? It looks like its from the other side of the motor, and was modified to fit that side, at sacraficing the access to the valve? There could be plenty of room though, tough to tell from the pics.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Update:

Well, that car is up and running and all the mechanical stuff is done. Ryan has been driving it around tuning it and checking for any potential leaks or other problems.

Unfortunately there was an unforeseen problem with my exhaust tips. If you look at the earlier pics I posted, the DTM tips that I chose point upwards on the outlet. Well this combined with the shorter exhaust ended up melting the some of the paint off of the right side of the bumper. :cussing: So, the DTM tips are gone and the stockers are back on.

Needless to say I am kinda bummed about not being able to use the tips. IMO they looked awesome. I will have to find a different solution at a later time.

But, in a way this has turned into a positive thing. Ryan, with the help of Chris Moore, found a guy who will strip and repaint both my front and rear bumpers. The rest of my paint is in decent shape (except the roof) so it's going to make a big difference in how it looks.

Also, I am going to paint the roof black (ala 1FST2M6). The combined with the black wheels is going to look awesome.

So I am going to have to wait a little bit longer. Unfortunately I am probably going to miss the Michigan Fiero Club show, but I should have it back soon after that.

EDIT:
Here is the pic:
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Here's a few pics of the sunbird tach guage. I'm probably one of like three people in the world who likes the Fiero dash and don't plan on changing it anytime soon, so the factory look of the boost guage is a plus in my opinion.

day:

night:

I also ordered my wheels yesterday from Edge Racing. I decided to go with these:
They are 5Zigen Fn01r-c's in black. 17x7's and 17x8's in the rear with Falken RT-615's 215-45-17 in the fron and 245-45-17's in the rear. By looking at the weights from Edge Racings website, I'll be saving between 8-10lbs per WHEEL from my old setup.
whipped

Post by whipped »

Damn, how short are your pipes? Just put an extra U bend in to cool the exhaust down.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Thats really odd.. my pipes are about that close to the paint and I get black stuff on the bumper so I know the hot air is hitting them.. but I've never seen any damage to the paint.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Series8217 wrote:Thats really odd.. my pipes are about that close to the paint and I get black stuff on the bumper so I know the hot air is hitting them.. but I've never seen any damage to the paint.
Here is a pic of the tip:

Here you can tell more easily that the exhaust exits and flows directly up at the paint, which caused the problem. If I probably had any other tip mounted like that, it would have been fine.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I have always wondered how accurate those stock gm "boost" gauges are. I know on the dsm's they are crap and as well as the 03 cobras too. The only decent factory boost gauge I have seen was in the srt4 but thats because they use a autometer guage.

I wonder how it would compare to a aftermarket like an autometer as far as accuracy
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:I have always wondered how accurate those stock gm "boost" gauges are. I know on the dsm's they are crap and as well as the 03 cobras too. The only decent factory boost gauge I have seen was in the srt4 but thats because they use a autometer guage.

I wonder how it would compare to a aftermarket like an autometer as far as accuracy
I wonder this as well. It is electronically controlled so it should work ok. If I went turbo, I would have gone with an aftermarket guage simply because of psi spike and leveling off that comes with a turbo. I think the supercharger boost comes in more of a gradual process.
You want to talk about horrible boost guages, my SVO is probably one of the worst.
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

I have the same exhaust tips on my 88 coupe. The leave black soot all over my bumper but have not burned the paint.

88 coupe: 2.0 turbo 4. T25, w2a, meth injection
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Picking up the car tomorrow. I'll give a full report tomorrow night!
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

So, I think this build thread is now complete! I picked up the car today and can finally start driving her!

Driving impressions:

When I was at Ryan's, I took the car for a short test drive before I left. I got on it a few times and it seemed fast, but not rediculous fast. I then realized that I had the a/c on :bootyshake: I flip the a/c off and floor it, WOW did that make a difference. Throttle respone is instant and there is quite a bit of power. I can't wait to get it on a dyno to see what I'm really making. But it'll break the 245's out pretty easy and I can finally do some powersliding around corners!

The exhaust is LOUD. It's a 3" going into a magnaflow with 2 2-1/2" outlets. It did wear on me after three hours of driving. I can barely hear the blower and the intake above the exhaust at WOT. I have a bunch of B-Quiet-Ultimate (Like dynamat) and I will be lining the trunk tomorrow and the interior over the winter. I'm sure that'll help.

That's about the only thing that is bothersome. Everything else works great! It runs awesome, has a nice constant idle, and the cooling system works great (I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour in 80* weather and the temp guage didn't even reach halfway).

I haven't driven this Fiero in about 3 years. Today was just an awesome day. I am so happy with the way my Fiero turned out. I loved my Fiero before this swap and now that it has the power it deserves, I can't imagine ever selling her. It is an awesome driving experience. I highly reccommend owning a high horsepower Fiero, no matter what you put in it!

I would like to thank, Ryan Gick of Sinister Performance for making this possible. If you want an engine swap done, you won't go wrong choosing him.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Congrats getting it back on the road. Anything done to the engine or is it completely stock?

I think you will be surprised how little you will have to spend on that motor for a lot of gain.

+1 for Ryan. Good looking swap man.
Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

God wrote:I would like to thank, Ryan Gick of Sinister Performance for making this possible. If you want an engine swap done, you won't go wrong choosing him.
Thanks for the kind words, Joe. I'm glad to hear you made it home safe and sound. I hope you enjoy the car for many years.

I would like to commend Joe on being one of the best customers I have ever had. I went thru some tough personal times while Joe's car was in my care which caused this project to drag on longer than it should have. But he was very understanding even when I had to be the bearer of bad news to him about some issues that came up with the car during the project. That certainly was appreciated. It's not often that "vendors" give praise to customers but I think such praise is warranted in this case.

-ryan
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED
Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions | www.gmtuners.com
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

God wrote: I flip the a/c off and floor it, WOW did that make a difference.
??? Does the ECM not control the A/C on the 3800? It's supposed to disable the A/C clutch at WOT...
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Series8217 wrote:
??? Does the ECM not control the A/C on the 3800? It's supposed to disable the A/C clutch at WOT...
I wasn't at WOT at the time. This was my first time in the car and I was still feeling it out, so that's probably why.
Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

Series8217 wrote:
Yes, the A/C system is under full PCM control on this swap. It is disabled at WOT; but might still be engaged at heavy throttle.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

This was a great thread. I'm glad it worked out for everybody.