Yay, another AutoX for me (take 2)

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

befarrer

Yay, another AutoX for me (take 2)

Post by befarrer »

Went to my 2nd autocross this year today (3rd autocross ever), in my 86 Fiero with the Quad 4. I didnt do too bad, my best time was a 52.2XX in the timed runs, and I managed to drop it to 50.209 during the 4 fun runs after. I was driving alot harder in the fun runs, and sliding alot. I tried changing my front tire size from a P215/60R14 to a P195/70R14, and keeping the P215/60R14 size on the rear to help with steering. The front tires were almost bald BFG T/A's, and the rear were my Yokohama Avid T4's. I think it helped for cornering, but as soon as I got on the gas I was going straight, no matter where the front wheels were pointed, I was trying to get the back end out for the throttle oversteer, but it didnt work, I got throttle understeer instead.

I there was a Lotus Exige there, who ran a 43.XXX time in the timed runs, and I dont think got below 42 in the fun runs. My Fiero has stock suspension, with original rubber bushings everywhere with 260,000KM on them, and mis-matched springs, I have soft on the front, and stiff WS6 on the rear, and the stock 86 Base coupe front roll bar. I want to upgrade to poly bushings and aluminum cradle bushings this winter, and also try the Grand am brake upgrade, for better cooling.

My dad was also racing his 84 Fiero with the 2.0L TBI pushrod engine from a 1987 Cavalier and an Isuzu 5-speed, he managed a 56.XXX time, but didnt do any fun runs, so he recorded mine. I uploaded all 4 fun runs, in some of them I get alittle sideways, even took out the finish line lazer beam box thing on one run, lol:

http://s96.photobucket.com/...l199/befarrer/AutoX/
It's not Skyline fast, but it does alright
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Here are some good pics someone took of our run group, which was Modified, and Street Prep.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/kakoi.ian/Soloaug11