First time at the strip.

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

First time at the strip.

Post by crzyone »

Just got back from the 1/4 mile strip in Edmonton. I really had no idea how much fun drag racing is. I had a blast.

First time being at a 1/4 mile track, 1st time racing at one. I got 6 runs in and did ok, definitly a better driver by the end of the night.

I took my GTR, mods are a cat back exhaust system and an intake, nothing major. Still have a restrictive cat, stock down pipes, and running stock boost (0.65 bar or 9psi)

My very first run was actually one of my better ones. I beat an STi by a bumper. I will post all the slips.

I put them in the scanner wrong, the order is STi, cobra, RSX, supercharged mustang, Focus and Caprice.

My fastest run was my last, a 13.6. I was expecting mid 13s on stock boost and if I had a few more runs I could have had a 13.5. My gearing was not ideal, at the end of the strip I was at the top of 3rd, it was a tossup wether to shift to 4th or not. My fastest run was when I shifted to 4th but my fastest trap speed was in 3rd gear.

1st race with the STI I launched hard and actually got a little sideways, all 4 wheels spinning. We stayed neck and neck the whole race, made me feel good to beat a brand new 300hp subi.

2nd race with the cobra mustang I missed 3rd, probably would have been my best run of the night if I had hit it properly. 4.6dohc cobra, non supercharged.

3rd race I bogged my launch trying different launch rpms. The RSX was not turbo like I thought, but it had a bunch of boltons such as header, exhauast, intake, chip and a few other bits.

4th race was against a supercharged mustang GT. Had a centrifical supercharger and had been running mid 12s all night, he was faster than the race against me. He said he dynod at 420whp.

5th race was against a focus, don't remember why I sucked to bad. Maybe I was too busy looking to see how far back he was.

6th race and my best of the night against an LT1 Caprice wagon. My launch was just about perfect, 1.8 60'. Was not much of a race, the caprice was far behind. I shifted into 4th gear on this run.

Anyways, I think with a boost controller set at 1 bar, aftermarket downpipes and a decat I could be in the high 12s. This was a learning experience, can't wait to go back.

Anyone have a program to calculate hp on 1/4 mile runs? 3450lb car with driver and a 13.7 1/4 mile run. Curious to see what it says.

Altitude at the track is about 2500-3000 feet, not sure how much that affects 1/4 mile performance.

Here are the full size pics

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

based on your mph I would say you are around 245 whp. You can't calculate your hp based on your elapsed time. MPH is how you figure out hp.

Good runs. Thats about expected for a pretty stock skyline. Downpipes and intakes will make the biggest difference. So will 5 more lbs of boost. All 3 and you will probably trap around 110 or so and should be in the 12's if you can drive it.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

My downpipes have a bit of a dent to them where they meet, due to running over a curb a while ago. I know what my next round of mods are going to be.

My clutch held put pretty well. I think it is stock but I'm not sure. Supposidly they are only good for about 7 or so drag style launches but I did 6 and a few at home and it feels like it always has. Good engagement.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

A pic of my car at the strip

This MKIV supra also had a best time of 13.6...@111mph. AWD launches FTW!!!

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

My first time at the strip I ran a 13.2@102. I was also against a MkIV Slopra who ran a 13.6 at 106.

What do 400, 500 and 600 WHP Supras have in common?
Indy

Post by Indy »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:My first time at the strip I ran a 13.2@102. I was also against a MkIV Slopra who ran a 13.6 at 106.

They're all cooler than Fieros?

A friend of mine has a 600WHP automatic Supra...It definitely seems quick...No track times yet though.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

13.2 was with the N*?

My car was awesome in 1st and 2nd gear, but at the top of 3rd it was running out of breath. Need to get rid of some bottlenecks and up the boost. Going from 9-14 pounds should make a big difference.

The Supras best 60' was 2.4, pretty bad. Did not see what kind of tires he was running or how wide.

I was pretty happy with a 1.8 60'.
emod19

Post by emod19 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
They all run 13s

Steve
1985 Mazda RX7 w/400 sbc
Removed it's soul, Gave it some balls.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

crzyone wrote:13.2 was with the N*?

My car was awesome in 1st and 2nd gear, but at the top of 3rd it was running out of breath. Need to get rid of some bottlenecks and up the boost. Going from 9-14 pounds should make a big difference.

The Supras best 60' was 2.4, pretty bad. Did not see what kind of tires he was running or how wide.

I was pretty happy with a 1.8 60'.
The 13.2 was the first trip to the strip with the Northstar. I found later that my IAT was unplugged. I plugged that back in and made some setup changes that I don't remember now and ran 12.86 a couple of months later.

1.8's a pretty good 60, but AWD can do better. I cut 1.92's in the Northstar car with the 1-2 shift inside the 60 and Centerfarce clutch and Gabriel struts. Now that I have Konis and a SPEC I think I can hit a 1.8.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

A guy in Club Redline has a '97 Supra and he just ran an 11.5 at 126mph. He figures he has about 600 tq and 500 whp. Single turbo upgrade.

http://media.putfile.com/Supra-vs-Evo
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

yea here is a 9 second supra.

Imagesupra 9sec. de calle
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I got a lot of wheel spin, I could drive around the waterbox but there was still water. I don't think these tires that came with these rims are all that great either. My next set will be much stickier.