gremlins!

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

84FieroDude

gremlins!

Post by 84FieroDude »

I have a 1984 Fiero with a 4 cylinder engine. It runs great, except the idle will go really high (around 2500+ rpm) for no apparent reason.

I have checked the injector while it was running, and it goes from a fine mist at a low idle to revving like crazy and spewing gas. The only code it gives is for the coolant sensor. I just recently replaced the O2 sensor and have disconnected the IAC while it was running; neither affect it.

Any suggestions why it would be doing this and how to fix it?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Is the idle always very high, or just sometimes? If it is constantly high you have a vacuum leak. Otherwise something funny is going on with the IAC or the IAC control circuit. The ECM itself could be the culprit.

Just a note, this thread will get moved to the Maintenance section where it belongs, so look for it there if you can't find it.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Have you replaced the coolant sensor? If the engine sees a very cold engine (like when the sensor is unplugged), it will increase the idle to some very high RPM like 2500 on the 4 cylinder.
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

Check to make sure the throttle actually closes when you take your foot off the pedal.

It's an old car, with old cables, and an old throttle return spring.

Tap the throttle, see if it settles back down, or grab the linkage arm .

My car needed an additional spring added, as the old one wasn't stiff enough to consistantly close the throttle fully.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
84FieroDude

Post by 84FieroDude »

Thanks for all the suggestions! befarrer was right on the money.

It turns out that a previous owner's shoddy repair job allowed the live and ground wires in the coolant switch to touch :angry: , so it the ECM thought the engine was always cold. Easy repair.

Runs perfect now!
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

:thumbleft: Yay I win :bootyshake:

Almost every duke revs to over 2000RPM when first started up for a few seconds, untill the temp starts rising. Sucks when you have an auto like me, you have to wait for the stupid thing to warm up and idle down before putting it in gear, or else it is like doing a neutral-drive dump, and spin the wheels everywhere.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

befarrer wrote:and spin the wheels everywhere.
Can a Duke even do this on ice?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

in my grand am with a duke, I could keep the tires spinning all day doing a neutral drop on a steep hill. 195/60/r15's