Need Help with my distributor - Made a video!

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Chris-Nelson

Need Help with my distributor - Made a video!

Post by Chris-Nelson »

Ok, I am good at some things, and not others... I've never had to index and reinstall a distributor before. I believe that the reason that I am having problems with the engine is because I did not reinstall my dizzy right the first time. Please watch this video with my question about reinstall:

ImageFiero Distributor Question
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

you are corect, the video really helped. YOu can have the rotor pointing any direction. Where you have it is typical. As long as the cap post that lines up with the rotor is used for the number one plug wire. Get what I am saying? you could rotate the whole assembly 360 degrees in either direction as long as the rotor points at the post used to send spark to the number 1 cyl.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

Ok, I get it now. See I was thinking that there was a specific spot on the dizzy cap that was meant for #1, AND the rotor must be pointed at the #1 cylinder.

Thanks! makes sense now.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

Well I put it all together tonight and did the timing and I think I have a problem.

I can time it using plug #1 just fine, and when I switch over to plug #2 I see a different timing mark. It is one of the two smaller ones. Is this incorrect?
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

P8 is correct, it doesn't really matter if the rotor is pointed at no.1 cylinder, as long as the rotor is lined up with a post on the cap with the no.1 cyl at TDC. Then you make which ever post the rotor is lined up on no.1 , and wire accordingly from there.

FWIW, I've noticed the majority of 2.8"s I've seen through the years use the post behind that inside cap mounting screw as No.1
That's how I set them, it seems to put the distributer in the correct position to have the most movement either way without stressing the wiring to it, and the wires seems to line up pretty well length wise like that.

It looks like you mislabelled the cylinders in that video, may have been one of those brain farts, but in anycase on the trunkside the cylinders are 1 3 5 from the front ( pulley end) to the back ( bellhousing end ), and the firewall side is 2 4 6 front to back.

Wiring on the distributer is 1 2 3 4 5 6 in clockwise rotation.

I always use 12 degrees timing on 2.8's even though they call for 10 deg, never had any issues with my own or customers cars set at 12 deg, they rev a little more freely set at that.
Last edited by jelly2m81 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

Chris-Nelson wrote:Well I put it all together tonight and did the timing and I think I have a problem.

I can time it using plug #1 just fine, and when I switch over to plug #2 I see a different timing mark. It is one of the two smaller ones. Is this incorrect?
you will, cyl 1 and 4 are siamised, not 1 and 2. Try checking cyl 4 with the timing light.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

Yes 1 and 4 to average and get 10*

I have heard that using the coil wire to the cap will give you the average of all cyl's and is best to set the timing by clamping onto that wire. I have not done it, and cant verify it works. But since your in the middle of this, please try it so it can be confirmed.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

Ok, yes you are right about the brain fart, I meant 1,3, and 5.

And again, brain fart. I tried cyl 1 and 2 at first, but then checked my haynes manual and checked it on 1 and 4 with the exact same results.

Maybe I'll go double check, but I'm almost completely positive that I had one of the two small timing marks on both #2 &4.

Thanks for the help! I'm learning.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

There are three timing marks on my '88 harmonic balancer. The engine can be timed from any cylinder.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

Yes, my balancer has 3 also, but I was under the impression that you could only time with the largest of the 3 timing marks? The one that I am talking about has been painted white by the previous owner.

When I looked at it on cylinder #4, the small timing mark was there, and on the 10* mark. But it was a different mark than the #1 cylinder.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

Thanks for all the help and input! I have the timing all squared away now but I am still having some serious driveability issues with it due to the dual throttle body intake. I'll get it figured out eventually.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

talk to me and I might be able to help out with the driveability.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

I guess I'll start a new thread about it.