Headlight bushing kits and gears everywhere, but shafts?

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Falcon4

Headlight bushing kits and gears everywhere, but shafts?

Post by Falcon4 »

Me again...

Looks like my car's last owner decided to ghetto-rig a fix for the headlight motor bushings wearing out, which involved a single chopped-up metal nut lodged between the metal shaft/hub and nylon gear. I hate idiots. So now I know why the headlight only worked right some of the time. Meanwhile I'm stuck having to get out of my car to "assist" the headlight in opening up most of the time. And it's really getting annoying.

The shaft/hub - not the gear - has a whole lobe chunked up and definitely wouldn't work with just a simple drop-in bushing replacement. I need a whole new shaft but I don't know where to get it. I Googled for it a hundred different ways and all I get are references of how to take apart the motors and replace the bushings.

Any ideas on where to get a new "hub"? Short of replacing the whole headlight motor assembly, which might be my next stop...
'87 Fiero GT, Automatic, 153... 156... 157... 158... 161k... 163k... 165k... 168k... SHIT I LOST COUNT
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

What style? Newer or older? If it is the newer 87-88 style, PM me you address. I've got one I'll give you for free.

But which shaft are you looking for? The shaft that runs vertical (when installed) or the horizontal?
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

Ee?

Well, I won't rub it being in my sig in, but it's an 87 GT, the new style. The motor has a worm gear on the end, which drives an outer nylon gear, which drives a hub connected to a shaft. The shaft then manipulates a bunch of weird levers and rods that are all OK on my car :)

Somehow, mysteriously, the problem's only on the driver's side light - the passenger side light works like a dream. I should check the bushings in that one though...

Also kinda concerned about the cover (which contains a bearing) for the gear/hub. That ghetto fix seems to have bashed it up, as it's bent in one corner and separated from sitting "flush" against the unit for no apparent reason. If you've got both parts I'd be happy to send a few bucks your way too! :thumbleft:

edit:
The part that is not the white gear, in this picture... and...
... Fuck. I can't find any pictures of the cover. It's the thing that screws down to the main unit, covering the gear and shaft/hub, with 3 small bolts, and has a bearing in the center. Know what I'm talking about...?
'87 Fiero GT, Automatic, 153... 156... 157... 158... 161k... 163k... 165k... 168k... SHIT I LOST COUNT
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Ok, that's what I thought, yeah, I got that stuff. It's all from a driver's motor as well. I have the cover too. I broke the motor in this gear like a week ago and just replaced it with one that I found in the junkyard so I know what you're talking about.

Like I said, PM your address and I'll mail it out Monday.
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

Meanwhile I have to work from 6:15 to 11:30 tonight, 6 to 10:30 tomorrow, and 4 to 10:30 on Monday, delivering pizza with severely fucked-up headlights. BLAM weekends! :blah5:

Where would I be with any other car? Up shit creek without a fan-base-community, that's where. :thumbleft:

Thanks!
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

I would just crank them up and disconnect the motor wires until you have the repairs done. I did that when my bushings finally failed. I believe it was a blue wire that powers the motor down.
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

I can't believe I didn't think of that... :scratch: I'd been just having to leave the parking lights on when I wanted to keep the headlights open (you can pull the headlight switch back without hitting "off" if you have rough, dry fingers <.<). I'll have to do that later, thanks! :salute:
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

I sent out the part this morning via priority mail, you shoud have it in a few days