Smog fail, a phone call, and a dead car :(

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Starlite528

Smog fail, a phone call, and a dead car :(

Post by Starlite528 »

So I'm required by the state or the feds or whoever to get my car smogged, and I do, but it fails. they say it's running rich, and the HC is high, replace the o2 sensor and cat. I replaced the o2 sensor a couple of nights ago.

Now as I was driving on the freeway, I decide to give WCF a call and find out how much to have my cat replaced (because WCF is not too far from here). Just as the line connects, my car dies right there on the freeway :(
10A Fuse for the fuel pump is blown (if F/P isn't fuel pump, what is it?) I drop a new 10A fuse in and it runs for a minute then blows again. I put a 25A in and it runs for a few then blows again.

I'm home now after a tow, and have to figure out wtf is going on.
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.
Henry Gibson - Kentucky Fried Movie.

http://www.lordshadowstar.com
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

put a 50 in and go have fun.

Actually sounds like something is drawing way too much current. something is grounding or your pump is going out.
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:put a 50 in and go have fun.

Actually sounds like something is drawing way too much current. something is grounding or your pump is going out.
I'm limited in the amount of money I can spend on this too. Hopefully it's just a short somewhere.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Download the electrical diagrams from www.fieronews.net and take a look.
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Download the electrical diagrams from www.fieronews.net and take a look.
I didn't see the diagrams there, but then I might not have been looking in the proper place. Either way, I think I've located the problem. The smaller branch bundle-o-wires heading towards behind the air cleaner was laying against the exhaust crossover pipe heat shield, and I jiggled it and it sparked, so I moved it out of the way and it hasn't died yet.

Come see the continuation of my woes in my next thread; same Bat-Time! Same Bat-Forum!