Urethane steering rack bushings

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Steve25

Urethane steering rack bushings

Post by Steve25 »

Anyone know where to find urethane steering rack bushings for an 88 GT? Got a part number? Thanks
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Steering rack bushings? Where would these go?
The rack is essentially solid mounted as it is.. the little rubber isolators on the mounting straps dont really have any give.
Steve25

Post by Steve25 »

The steering rack bushings or grommets as they are referred to in the service manual, wrap around the steering rack and are the contact between the steering rack and the mounting brackets. They work the same way as the sway bar bushings. If the bushings are damaged as is the case on the right side of my car there would be play between the bracket and the rack. The left side bushing on my car is not much better.

I ordered a left side bushing from Rock Auto, they don't list a right. If anyone one has a serviceable right side bushing I would appreciate your sending it me. Let me know how much for the bushing and shipping to 85023.
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

You can order a block of polyurethane from McMaster-Carr and trim it on a bandsaw to fit around the rack.

Alternatively, I can check when I go home this weekend if my extra right side bushing is still in decent shape.