Head Gasket or Cracked head?

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Dryfter_09_19

Head Gasket or Cracked head?

Post by Dryfter_09_19 »

Any way to tell? When I start up my car in the morning. It likes to spit out white smoke. It doesn't smell like oil, so I'm pretty sure thats not it. It's been doing this for a while. I just figured I should probably get it fixed. It also spits white / clear smoke out my passenger side rear vent, after I've been driving it for a while.

A while back my car seriously overheated, I probably either blew a head gasket or cracked the head. How easy or hard is it to warp the heads? Anyway to "unwarp" them or would I be better off finding another motor?

Where do you recommend looks for motors?
1985 Fiero 2M4
I suck at cars...
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

On a Duke, I'd put money on the headgasket, but find the source of the steam coming out of the vent first. Make sure that the steam from the exhaust is actually coolant, too. It'll smell funny if it is. Every Fiero I've seen steams out the tailpipe on startup, they seem to like to collect water, specially since the tips point up. Headgasket job on a Duke isn't too bad, as compared to a V6 or something.
<Insert Sig Here>
Dryfter_09_19

Post by Dryfter_09_19 »

I was looking around last night and I Noticed that I have a lot of oil build up on my heads, near the oil fill, and on the bottom of the tranny and bottom of the engine. I'm assuming that it leaks just enough oil that it doesn't affect my normal driving. Would that sway your suspected head gasket? Or would that just reinforce it a little?
1985 Fiero 2M4
I suck at cars...
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Neither. I very much doubt the problems are related. My car coughs up oil from the fill cap and pcv too, and the heads and gaskets are fine. I still say, if you have a problem, its more likely coolant related and most likely the headgasket, but you need to rule out anything else first before you go tearing the head off.
<Insert Sig Here>
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

well, it could be either one - but I'd guess towards the head gasket - that is its job after all to fail before the head cracks. either way - you gotta do the same job - remove the head - then you'll know.