88 Wheel bearings/hubs for 88GT

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Steve25

88 Wheel bearings/hubs for 88GT

Post by Steve25 »

After getting the Konis, springs and urethane in over the weekend I took it for an alighment today. The shop called to tell me that the right wheel bearings/hub needs to be replaced and the left is not far behind. I checked Rock Auto, no listing. I did a search here and didn't find much. The choices seem to be Rodney Dickman or a custom/Wilwood setup which I don't completely understand. Anyone got something worked out? I really want to get through the maintanence issues and get on to something fun. Thanks
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
Starlite528

Re: 88 Wheel bearings/hubs for 88GT

Post by Starlite528 »

Unless you're lucky enough to find one at a junkyard, you're gonna need the RD one or that other thing. There are some people who have said the RD one's have bad grease, but I've replaced mine and it's been working great. Maybe they revised their design/parts/grease, I don't know.

Getting the old one apart is possible, but it's a royal pain if you don't have the right tools (I tried)---(and it's never going back together).

See here:
phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6321
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.
Henry Gibson - Kentucky Fried Movie.

http://www.lordshadowstar.com
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

whatever happened with eBearing and FieroStore marrying up with each other to supply these?
A.K.A. Chicken McNizzle on Old Europe
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

That's the same one that RD sells. It is NOT suitable for high performance use...
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:That's the same one that RD sells. It is NOT suitable for high performance use...
What's the problem with these bearings? Our buddy Rick has a set on his 88 GT with the L67, and he's been autocrossing it for 2 summers, and pounding it around Shannonville Raceway with no problems, theres also a couple trips half way across the country and back on them.
He does have 12" rotors and 17" wheels on it also.
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

not suitable for high performance use? What, they don't hold up lateraly at 9g's or withstand 200mph? If they keep the car rolling versus having NO bearings then thats fine with me :)
A.K.A. Chicken McNizzle on Old Europe
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

jelly2m8 wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:That's the same one that RD sells. It is NOT suitable for high performance use...
What's the problem with these bearings? Our buddy Rick has a set on his 88 GT with the L67, and he's been autocrossing it for 2 summers, and pounding it around Shannonville Raceway with no problems, theres also a couple trips half way across the country and back on them.
He does have 12" rotors and 17" wheels on it also.
More than one person on the Fiero Racing List has tried these new bearings and had them fail within a matter of *laps* of a racecourse...
Mickey_Moose

Post by Mickey_Moose »

...hmmm, I wonder just how much I can get for the set of NOS ones I have... :scratch: